Gransnet forums

Chat

I like this being retired lark but.......

(55 Posts)
kittylester Fri 01-Sep-17 09:59:56

we had nothing pressing going on today so didn't set the alarm. We woke at 7.00 instead of our usual 5.45 and now I feel all flustered!

We like to take our time getting going and, now, being late I feel as though the day has gone already!

Is there anything that flummoxes you about being retired?

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 16:02:11

When I get to 68, I'm really looking forward to waking up in my own time. I'm going to stay in bed for days!

kittylester Fri 01-Sep-17 16:20:22

I actually quite like waking early and appreciating that I'm not having to get going early. I'm never downstairs much before 8.30 unless there is a reason for it. I am showered and dressed by then though.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 16:22:41

Good point. Its the "getting going" that's the problem, not necessarily the getting up
When I was younger I used to sometimes set my alarm on days off, just for the sheer bliss of being able to turn it off and snuggle back down.

NanaPlenty Fri 01-Sep-17 17:08:22

It's taken ages to get used to having days when you don't have to answer to anyone, it does matter what time you start or finish or even what time you go to bed because you aren't worried about work the next day. I still get up reasonably early and some days there aren't enough hours in the day. I have to watch out that I don't over compensate and fill all of my time with stuff otherwise I'm cross there is no relaxing time! What funny creatures we are. I'm just about to start volunteering with first time pregnant parents as I feel I want to keep in touch with reality and something that's a regular commitment.

M0nica Fri 01-Sep-17 17:15:00

I am by nature one of life's larks. usually get up about 6.00am and if I sleep past 7.00 I feel I have lost the best of the day.

I am also one of those people who likes to keep busy and I am involved in a lot of different activities, all self chosen, so my days are pretty busy.

Franbern Fri 01-Sep-17 18:28:21

The best part of retirement was NOT having to use the alarm clock, but to let my own body clock take over. At work, I was always in (first one) by 7.30 - 7.45. Although only a ten minute (at that time of the morning) drive from home, and I ate my breakfast there, it still meant I needed to be up by 6.45 am. Found that my own body clock leaves me to wake around 8.00 am, and that is what I do now.

Auntieflo Fri 01-Sep-17 22:09:23

We do still set the alarm, although we have been retired since 2003. It's habit. Now though, it gets turned off and we often go back to sleep. Daft I know, but then that's us. Probably won't change either.

Galen Fri 01-Sep-17 22:32:54

I'm 72, disabled but still do some part time work (2-4) days a week.
I had a letter today asking if I wished to continue for another year if a business case could be made for my retention.
I said YES!

merlotgran Fri 01-Sep-17 22:51:56

I was born to retire

Set the alarm?

We don't even have a clock. grin

MawBroon Fri 01-Sep-17 23:01:42

kittylester if I am awake at 5.45 that is called insomnia!!

kittylester Sat 02-Sep-17 06:27:20

grin

NanKate Sat 02-Sep-17 07:22:44

I usually wake at about 6.15 pop down for a cuppa and bring it back up to bed. I try not wake DH as I like to sit in bed get out my IPad check the weather, my emails, GN, the tennis around the world and on occasions I watch an episode of any good series I am following. I feel so decadent it's lovely. smile

If like today it is a Saturday, I stick my ear phone in my ear and listen to Sounds of the 60s with Tony Blackburn

I love being retired.

Anniepops Sat 02-Sep-17 08:15:03

I retired just before my 59th birthday and am so happy I could afford to (have to wait until I am 66 for sp). One of the best decisions ever. Time to spend with gc, on the home, travel outside of school holidays and oh that blissful Sunday night feeling knowing I can go to bed and the next day is all mine.

Christinefrance Sat 02-Sep-17 08:20:42

You are so right MawBroon smile

RosemarySuperager Sat 02-Sep-17 09:30:05

I generally wake up early - ish which for me is around 7 to 7.30. We don't set the alarm unless we've got to be somewhere.

I'm really enjoying being retired - it's like an extended holiday but without enough time to fit everything in.

TwiceAsNice Sat 02-Sep-17 09:44:08

I still work part time 2 days a week to supplement my pensions so set the alarm on those days but get up the other days as I please. I do volunteering on another 2 mornings but as I relocated when I retired from full time work it's been a way to make new friends. Otherwise I do as I please. I live alone so don't have to please anyone else. Children and grandchildren live super near so am involved in their care and see them all the time but care is not a set pattern so have plenty of time for myself. I've never been happier .

Katek Sat 02-Sep-17 13:05:52

We still set the clock for 7.15 as DH works part time from home. His major client is in Germany so, as they're an hour ahead, he needs to be up 2/3 mornings per week. I just get up with him.

Luckygirl Sat 02-Sep-17 13:51:47

5.45!!?? - is this am or pm? grin

LadyGracie Sat 02-Sep-17 15:00:16

If it's a nice day I'll actually get up when the alarm goes off at 7 and take advantage of the weather by going out straight after breakfast for a walk or bike ride. If it's raining I'll either switch off alarm and go back to sleep or make tea and laze in bed

sylvie2Layla1 Sat 02-Sep-17 18:26:02

Have just retired and don't know how I fitted work into my daily life

watermeadow Sat 02-Sep-17 19:42:16

I know people who retired and have done nothing since. Retirement needs planning, with new activities to keep your mind and body busy so you go to bed tired and get up eager to start a new day. I still get up stupidly early but no longer have to walk dogs in the dark before work. I'm fully occupied most of every day but love that I can do what I want and when I want.

Micah68 Sat 02-Sep-17 19:45:06

I still think my biggest (but simplist) weekly treat in retirement is sitting in bed with a cup of tea and a book on a Monday morning listening to the commuters start their week.

AlgeswifeVal Sat 02-Sep-17 22:27:08

I wake early, but don't make a cup of tea before 7.00am.. I put TV on in my bedroom and play with my iPad at the same time. When I do surface, every day I have something planned. Never get bored. I do mainly sporty things, like cycling, swimming or playing badminton. Of course I have to squeeze in the housework and shopping. Retirement is great.

Caroline123 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:48:20

I am retired and wake up when I wake up,earlier in the summer than the winter. Alarm is only set if I'm doing something and need to be ready for 9 ish.
I can't tell you how much I love being able to do this!
Every morning I'm thankful the early starts are gone!

illtellhim Sun 03-Sep-17 07:35:38

I hated the alarm clock, a previous post by loopyloo, said exactly what I think, although we get up around 06:00, never plan anything and being able to afford a car says it all really.