Gransnet forums

Chat

Carrying cash on you.

(68 Posts)
AlgeswifeVal Sat 02-Sep-17 22:31:55

A friend of mine always has a wedge of cash on her. Whenever we go out she always has a fistful of £20 notes. Is that showing off, fool hardy, or normal.

Chewbacca Sat 02-Sep-17 22:37:24

Lucky.

grumppa Sat 02-Sep-17 22:37:57

Normal for me. Presumably not for you. Perhaps you prefer to use a debit card. Takes all sorts....

tanith Sat 02-Sep-17 22:38:43

I've usually got some notes in my purse maybe £30 some small change for car parking but if I'm just going to the shop for milk/paper I use contactless. Maybe your friend doesn't have/like debit/contactless cards.

Charleygirl Sat 02-Sep-17 22:47:08

I am like tanith rarely carry more than £30 and I always have my debit card, mainly for contactless use.

nanaK54 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:49:12

Usually about £50 in my purse

Marydoll Sat 02-Sep-17 22:57:08

Always carry cash for smaller amounts. Prefer not to use contactless.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Sep-17 23:04:02

Take £100 out for the week so that's what I carry at start of week and not so much by end sometimes it lasts longer sometimes not

merlotgran Sat 02-Sep-17 23:22:06

I use my debit card all the time. We live in the middle of nowhere so there is no need for cash.

kittylester Sun 03-Sep-17 07:23:17

Normal for me too.

I pay the cleaner, the paper bill and butcher in cash. My hairdresser doesn't take cards nor does the place that does my pedicure so any cash at the end of the week is 'saved' towards those occasions. I do use cards and contactless but cash is sometimes the only thing that is acceptable.

FarNorth Sun 03-Sep-17 07:23:57

I use my credit card a lot, rather than debit card, as I don't have to worry if there's enough in the account each time I use it, just pay it off monthly.
Don't usually have more than £50 in my purse, often a lot less.
(Don't use new-fangled contactless.)

Greyduster Sun 03-Sep-17 07:38:49

I always have around thirty pounds in notes and some loose change on me, but don't use it very much. I usually use my debit card. I use a butcher who only takes cash, and use it when shopping in the fruit and veg market, but that's about all really.

harrigran Sun 03-Sep-17 07:40:06

Normal. I always carry enough to pay for a large weekly shop in several stores and enough over to buy lunch in a good restaurant.

Pittcity Sun 03-Sep-17 08:02:01

I love my contactless cards. I transfer just enough for the week to them and keep tabs on them with a phone app. (You can cancel at the touch of a button and not lose any money) I only carry around £20 in cash and keep my main bank cards and change for bus fares, window cleaner etc. in a cash box at home.
I worry when I see people draw out large amounts of cash.

ninathenana Sun 03-Sep-17 08:18:23

Thirty is about what I carry. H 'pays' me cash for driving him too and from his gardening jobs each week (bit of a standing joke) and S pays his keep in cash. This is enough to last me usually, as I don't go out much. I don't use my card for less than £20ish. Weekly shop is always paid by debit card.

NanaandGrampy Sun 03-Sep-17 08:24:09

When I was working it would have been normal for me , lunches, travel taxis , tipping etc. Now I'm retired I have an emergency £2 parking money and rarely any other cash at all....Grampy pays :-) or I use by credit/debit card.

Primrose65 Sun 03-Sep-17 09:07:20

I don't really use cash at all, it must be several months since I've used a cash point. I pay for everything with a contactless card, much easier. For me, the only issue is I'll forget what cash looks like grin

gillybob Sun 03-Sep-17 09:08:18

I very rarely have more than about £20 in my purse plus a little bit of loose change. DH would be hard pressed to come up with more than about £10 in his pocket. Since my mum died last year my dad has taken to carrying great wads of cash around in his wallet which I find quite worrying. He has a debit card but seems to enjoy the feeling of having the cash on him.

wildswan16 Sun 03-Sep-17 09:20:52

I rarely have more than £20 in my purse. But I do have about £200 stashed in the house - in case I am ill and cannot get to an ATM, or if the ATM fails, or if the banks all go crash! If it costs under £5 I pay cash, otherwise I use my credit card which gets paid off in full every month.

annsixty Sun 03-Sep-17 09:21:19

To answer the OP, I think she is showing off.
I usually have between £20/40 in my purse, but it is the same £20/30 for quite a time as I prefer to use cards and have just got brave enough to use contactless. However it is seldom I go out more than twice a week and one of those will be for coffee which is always cash.
I do keep money in the house for cleaner, window cleaner and GC when they visit.!!

jusnoneed Sun 03-Sep-17 09:27:18

I use cash all the time, cannot remember the last time I used my debit card. I get paid cash so no point me putting it in the bank just to use a card. What goes in the bank is for savings or rarely buying bigger items.
I also like to know how much I have to spend without having to go to a machine to find out.

TriciaF Sun 03-Sep-17 10:16:30

"I also like to know how much I have to spend without having to go to a machine to find out."
Same here. It's too easy to pay by debit card all the time - not knowing if there's enough in the bank.
I wear a waist purse when out shopping etc, as I've had a handbag snatched 3 times (over many years.)

grannyticktock Sun 03-Sep-17 10:23:24

I can't see this as "showing off" ; isn't flashing the plastic more likely to impress? Some people like to use cash when they can. I use cards much of the time, but I often have quite a bit of cash in my purse too - I pay the gardener, the hairdresser, the window cleaner, the handyman, etc in cash and like to have the money ready when required.

When my daughter and I went shopping, she told me how old fashioned I was carrying so much (maybe up to £100) in cash. Then she remembered she needed to buy a birthday card from a local shop, and sheepishly asked me if I could lend her some cash ....

midgey Sun 03-Sep-17 10:32:47

I never have cash, in my purse I only have coppers at present. I use my debit card for everything.

Oldwoman70 Sun 03-Sep-17 10:38:58

I usually carry around £30 in notes and change but tend to use credit/debit card for most purchases. Some tradesmen (window cleaner, odd job man) prefer to be paid in cash so I then have to make a special trip to the bank (don't use cash machines).