Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone for sherry?

(36 Posts)
Synonymous Wed 13-Sep-17 14:12:42

Have decided to embrace the necessity of 'having to sit down' before I can serve and eat my meal so cunningly offered DH a sherry which he thought very civilized. Worked a treat so am now considering a small damson gin with the coffee. This is the life eh! grin

Synonymous Thu 14-Sep-17 01:38:19

Merlot I seem to have missed a trick there as I didn't think about using the fruit for more than one 'steeping'. I thought I was being quite economical using it in a crumble afterwards but haven't tried 'double dipping', and in a different tipple, but I should think the fruit will be paralytic by the time I get it into the crumble - hopefully!

Imperfect27 Fri 15-Sep-17 06:36:28

Something / someone will be paralytic grin.

Strange. Dinner last night went a bit wrong. I asked DH to cook his own speciality of paella with chicken and chorizo. He flavoured it with paprika - choosing the extra strong pot we have instead of the mild. It was far too spicy but it transformed the last glass of the awful wine into something quite lovely!

DanniRae Sat 16-Sep-17 08:53:27

I like a sherry now and then - last night was one of those times. Now must put "SHERRY" on my shopping list as finished the bottle. I like Sainsbury's 'medium sweet'! grin

Welshwife Sat 16-Sep-17 12:35:35

Have you tried it with ice ? I quite like it when the weather is hot - unfortunately I cannot drink much as it always makes me sleepy! I prefer the drier versions -but do they still do Harvey's Bristol Cream?

lemongrove Sat 16-Sep-17 12:58:11

Sherry or port, or any fortified wine is not for me, although I would like it to be.Instant heartburn!

sunseeker Sat 16-Sep-17 13:41:03

*Welshwife" Yes they do still do Harvey's Bristol Cream! It's my tipple of choice before Sunday lunch - which is odd because I like fruity, dry wine! (not that I drink that often of course blush)

rafichagran Sat 16-Sep-17 16:11:01

I love it but my son and daughter laugh as they think it Is a very old fashioned drink.
My son would feel embarrassed for me ordering it when we eat out, so I go to the bar and order it myself.
I hate to say it but it is a drink they accociate with Grannies.

KatyK Sat 16-Sep-17 18:38:44

I can remember in the 1970s we used to go for an occasional meal at the Berni Inn (prawn cocktail, steak and chips and blackforest gateau was the order of the day). I used to feel very sophisticated ordering a schooner of sherry before the meal.

Synonymous Sat 16-Sep-17 21:32:00

rafichagran if indeed sherry is associated with grannies it can only be because they know more than a thing or two due to a lifetime of experience!
Isn't it great to have such confidence not to feel embarrassed by such trifles as worrying about fashions or what someone else thinks? smile

rubysong Sun 17-Sep-17 09:42:14

Sherry is my drug of choice preferred tipple. I have it in a tumbler. There are lots of tiny sherry glasses in the house but I would be forever refilling them.