Gransnet forums

Chat

51 years ago

(127 Posts)
silverlining48 Fri 15-Sep-17 14:11:30

On this day, an astonishing 51 years ago, my husband and i met in the bali hai club above silver blades ice rink in streatham, london. The beginning of many years of joy, happiness and mutual appreciation. If only. ....In truth of course there have been a few ups and downs but we have somehow managed to stay the course. He is a good man, mostly. ?
We are now a bit wiser and a whole lot older. So what are we doing today in celebration of this anniversary? we have just returned from looking at woodburning stoves and had a nice lunch on the way back. Now its feet up time before getting on with whatever we have to do next.
Where and how long ago did you all meet.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Sep-17 18:28:59

Oh those blind dates, fixed up by well meaning, or other friends. I am just 5'1 ish and remember being set up on a blind date. we met up at the arranged spot. He ? 6.5, me? Mortified. !

Imperfect27 Fri 15-Sep-17 19:27:46

We were both divorcees and met just over 8 years ago - 8th September, which was the day before his birthday. Well, rewind, we met online couple of weeks before through a popular dating sight (!) Neither of us had photos on our profiles. We emailed first, then set up a time for a messenger chat, but internet reception was really poor and in the end I gave him my mobile number. Can honestly say I fell for his 'radio voice' first - we found it very easy to chat. We met 4 days later. That was meant to be just for coffee, but we spent the whole day and evening together ... He never did officially propose, but we married 5 years later. He is a kind man. smile

Nanabilly Fri 15-Sep-17 19:36:30

We had our first date in April 1972 . He had seen me but I had not seen him ,I was after his best mate at a club in Sheffield ,the Fiesta club and we were on a works outing. I think it was a Freddie Starr show but we all spent all night in the club dancing . A couple of weeks after this outing my sister's friend knocked at our door came asked me if I would have a blind date with "now hubby" she explained he had taken one look at me and said to all of his friends " I'm going to marry her" . We Had our blind date and the rest Is history. 40 years wed now

blossom14 Fri 15-Sep-17 19:56:46

Met on holiday Caister 1958. He proposed within 1 day. Married in 1959 and separated for two and half years in the early 1980's. Got back together after I was ill and he was only person to show any caring.
Celebrated our Golden wedding with 5 days abroad, came home to find house burgled, all post taken and car stolen from drive.
Waiting to see what Diamond Anniversary brings next year,

Auntieflo Fri 15-Sep-17 20:00:09

We met at a dance hall in, (now let me do the sums), 1958. I'd just left school, and my friend and I decided to go dancing. I met DH and she met her DH. He walked me home, and the rest is history. We married in 1961 and have just celebrated our 56th wedding anniversary. My friend and her DH, also married that same year, a few months earlier than us, and are still together.

blossom14 Fri 15-Sep-17 20:35:55

Ooops! should have said in two years time.

Morgana Fri 15-Sep-17 20:39:29

We met at a party in Clapham. We were both drunk! Married in 1973. Some ups and downs but we r still together although we are like chalk and cheese!

grannyactivist Sat 16-Sep-17 00:21:53

We met in September 1982 when he joined the church I attended. I was ten years older than him, pregnant with my third child and separated from my husband. He was a very kind and mature young man and we became good friends, but I was shocked when we fell for each other a few months after my divorce had come through. We married in 1986 when he was just twenty three and we were aware that people thought it would never last. They underestimated what an amazingly wonderful, kindly man he is and we are still very happily together thirty one years later. We have weathered some extremely difficult family situations together, but disagreements have been very rare. I call him The Wonderful Man with good reason and I love him to bits. smile

Newquay Sat 16-Sep-17 02:01:20

DH and I met in a trendy nightclub in 1968 when I was just 19. He was 24. We met the next night and went to the local theatre doing "Romeo and Juliet". We still have the programme on which he wrote his address. He went home and told his parents he had met the girl he was going to marry. I always say I'm still thinking about it. We're still happily together and very grateful for that too. We married in 1970 so, God willing, heading for golden anniversary.

Grandma2213 Sat 16-Sep-17 02:13:29

How many lovely stories on here. It is great to see how such positive relationships can develop despite the often admitted difficult times. I have not been so lucky though I am still fulfilled in a different way! My unsuccessful venture into marriage resulted in three sons and a joyful future which I am now experiencing. I have learned that I am content without a partner. I enjoy my independence and I am sure there are many others who are also happy to remain single!

eazybee Sat 16-Sep-17 09:18:22

silverlining48, are you in any way connected to silverlining47?
Just curious.

inishowen Sat 16-Sep-17 09:24:23

We met in a pub called The Seaside Inn. It was crowded with young people and there were no seats. He picked up a street directory from the bar and asked if it was mine. Then a table became available and he and I made a dash for it. The rest is history!

HurdyGurdy Sat 16-Sep-17 09:39:17

My husband was in the Navy, and they had a penpal section in their internal newspaper "Navy News".

We were penpals for about six months, and then when he was on shore leave, we met up and he came to visit for the weekend.

Never looked back. Just had our 32nd wedding anniversary smile

Pittcity Sat 16-Sep-17 09:46:47

We are approaching our 35th anniversary. We met at a local youth club. He gave another lad time to ask me out but gave up waiting for him to pluck up the courage.

Calypso8 Sat 16-Sep-17 09:52:40

We met at a dance hall just 6 weeks before he was moving to work in South Africa, that was in 1964 as soon as he got there he planned to come back and he did about a year later , we.v just had our golden wedding anniversary.

Granash Sat 16-Sep-17 09:54:38

We met in a restaurant called Chateau Pereira in Kisumu, Kenya on the shores of Lake Victoria! We were both teaching, though at different schools. We were together for 3 months when his contract ended and he went back to the UK. We were apart for the next 6 months during which I planned our wedding in Nairobi. He got another contract and was back in Kenya a couple of weeks before the big day! We celebrate our Golden Wedding next year.

kazgran Sat 16-Sep-17 09:55:09

He married the boss's daughter!!

Chicklette Sat 16-Sep-17 10:14:40

Mr C and I were both divorced and lived 300+ miles apart. We joined a penfriends group and began writing to each other. One day he said he was coming to my part of the world to visit his children and would like to meet me. I said yes, then panicked, wondering if he was weird! But he seemed ok, and we were married 14 months later. That was just over 25 years ago, and we usually get on well! Ups and downs and health problems like everyone else, but it's mainly been good. He encourages me to be more confident, which is still a nice surprise after an abusive first marriage.

SunnySusie Sat 16-Sep-17 10:15:13

We met at at disco. I was with a friend and we were doing that thing of dancing round our handbags. He was with his mate, propping up the bar and apparently they tossed a coin to decide which girl they would ask to dance. We were not all that smitted at first and both dated other people. Then we decided to drive my Morris 1000 round Europe for three months (as you did in those days!) taking a very small two person ridge tent, a map and a one burner gas stove. Neither of us had been anywhere much which is perhaps why we thought this would be a good idea! We ran out of both food and money in the then Yugoslavia which was communist at the time under Tito. Of course we couldnt speak a word of the language. After an uncomfortable few days we made it back across the border to Austria and got work in a bar. We decided if we could survive that we could survive anything and got engaged the day we returned! Its now 41 years later and there have been a lot of ups and downs, but we are still together.

Imperfect27 Sat 16-Sep-17 10:34:44

Great thread and so many lovely stories - these have made me smile and smile through a rather bleak time. Thank you.

goldengirl Sat 16-Sep-17 10:50:55

I met DH via a mutual friend. He rang her and then asked her to speak to me! Our date was at the cinema. He asked if I'd like an icecream during the interval [those were the days!] and I said yes. His reply was 'I'll come with you'. I should have known!!! Still 47 years later we're still together and often laugh about our first date. He was and still is quite a shy person but very kind, loves children, is practical BUT incredibly messy. We've had bad times but pulled through and I'm very luck. Perhaps it's because we're chalk and cheese. Who knows?

minxie Sat 16-Sep-17 10:52:35

I met him indoors on the radio show, Late Night Love. I picked him out of several voice mails messages as I liked the sound of his voice. We are still together 20 years later

Daisydoo2 Sat 16-Sep-17 10:54:18

Met my late husband in 1978 at a Christmas party.. he was posted to a lovely place in the world so we threw caution to the wind and married 6 months later so we could go together. Travelled loads over the years but unfortunately he passed away early in 2006. The latest relationship started through an internet web site... he was the only one who turned up looking like his photo! 10 years later we are still together, not married yet... I don't want to rush things!

Lindylou57 Sat 16-Sep-17 11:02:14

Met in 1976. I had been sent on a course from work and had to stay in digs in Bootle. He was a Londoner working in Liverpool and staying in the same digs. He asked me out on my last night. No contact for a year then I was back in the same digs on another course and he was still there and the rest is history. Married in 1980 and due to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary next week. Still as much in love.

Sar53 Sat 16-Sep-17 11:03:39

We are both divorced and met online nearly 10 years ago. We lived over 50 miles apart so for the first two years we only saw each other at weekends. I moved to live with him seven years ago. We have two daughters each and when we met had no grandchildren, now number 10 is on the way !! We are very happy together, have weathered numerous health issues over the years but I am so glad I have found someone special after a very tough few years.