Gransnet forums

Chat

51 years ago

(127 Posts)
silverlining48 Fri 15-Sep-17 14:11:30

On this day, an astonishing 51 years ago, my husband and i met in the bali hai club above silver blades ice rink in streatham, london. The beginning of many years of joy, happiness and mutual appreciation. If only. ....In truth of course there have been a few ups and downs but we have somehow managed to stay the course. He is a good man, mostly. ?
We are now a bit wiser and a whole lot older. So what are we doing today in celebration of this anniversary? we have just returned from looking at woodburning stoves and had a nice lunch on the way back. Now its feet up time before getting on with whatever we have to do next.
Where and how long ago did you all meet.

Imperfect27 Sun 17-Sep-17 07:54:28

All the family smiled and remarked on the valentine's card my 86 year-old FIL gave to his wife of 62 years last February. The picture was of a washing line, strung with knickers and the wording stated' I still fancy the pants off you!' Brilliant! Hope DH and I are exchanging cards with the same sentiments in 20+ years time. smile

Serkeen Sun 17-Sep-17 08:03:05

I was not one for going out and boys/men were the enemy to me and I was not in any hurry to go there mainly because I watched my sister get into lots of trouble with boys.

But my brother bought a CB some may know what that is others may not, a CB was like a radio that you could connect to other people with, any way one day my brother left it on and went out so my sister said lets have a go, reluctantly I went and had a listen with her

Cut a long story short we started speaking to two guys and they sounded really happy and nice especially one of them, my now husband, the rest is history

Really interestin reading about how everybody met smile Fate you see it does exist..

Marydoll Sun 17-Sep-17 08:03:21

Hi Imperfect, I wouldn't say I am smug at having been married for forty years, more surprised. smile
I am very fiery, my husband very calm, so there have been some spectacular arguments. We have been through some very difficult times, both health wise and financially, but we have stuck together.
The desire to do our best for our children, respect, sharing the same values, as well as love have been the glue that keeps us together.
I know that for everyone that doesn't always happen. No-one should have to stay in a miserable marriage.
I'm so glad that many people on GN have had a second chance at happiness.

Alima Sun 17-Sep-17 08:19:27

You took the words right out of my mouth Marydoll, surprised and sometimes bloody amazed we have made it this far. Can think of a few occasions when we could have jacked it in and split. We didn't, mainly because of the children. We took the right decision and have ended up ok. Last year he was diagnosed with a terminal illness. You bet we are counting the time left. No, not smug, just very lucky and bloody stubborn.

Lilylilo Sun 17-Sep-17 09:18:26

We were two cars on a collision course...he was the most handsome man i had ever laid eyes on....dark and totally gob smackingly gorgeous...Reader I married him....a volatile and passionate 35 years later we are still together....amazingly!

Mrsdof Sun 17-Sep-17 09:50:16

Imperfect27. How do you manage what would appear to be the impossible - being married to an 'Ars***l' fan! Can't even bring myself to say the word, you must have some spectacular arguments discussions. grin

maddy629 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:00:34

I met my husband at a bus stop, he was going to a friends wedding reception and I was going to meet up with friends for an evening out. We started chatting and the bus didn't come, we waited for over an hour, so we ended up going for a drink and as they say the rest is history.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:04:03

It is with astonishment that i look back on our many years together because certainly it has not been a bed of roses. Its not smugness because it could have ended a number of occasions, but for some reason we were both of a mind to give it another go. We all set out to make marriage last, it is not easy and takes a lot of different things to keep it going but mostly it needs both partners to want to do it.
when i started this post i was just thinking about the 51 years that have passed and that we are still together.

pensionpat Sun 17-Sep-17 11:37:02

I have really enjoyed this thread. We celebrate our Golden Wedding on 30th Sep. The same as Radio 1. I can't believe it, we were so young. We have had a lot of luck I think, and some of it was bad luck. We plan to return to the church where we were married on the special say, and I shall give thanks.

Imperfect27 Sun 17-Sep-17 11:52:50

Mrsdof grin It is a tough job! Lots and lots of room for humour / barracking here and particularly enjoying the fact that we are in the Champion's League while 'Arse' are ONLY in Europa this time around. But, who am I kidding? Have learned to quietly enjoy the growing success these past few years as there has been a lot of room for pain!

And all you lovely GNetters who are celebrating your umpteenth anniversaries and are not smug xxx and sincere congratulations.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Sep-17 12:03:06

Congratulations pension pat on your forthcoming golden anniversary. Yes i too still feel young yet i recall my in laws at their golden wedding 25 odd years ago. They didn't look or act as if they still felt young and came across as elderly which is how i saw them then. Wondering now how our own children or other younger people see us? Not sure that i really want to know.....?

varian Tue 19-Sep-17 08:04:26

We were teenagers when we met at my friend's house - he is her cousin. I thought he was fantastically good looking, except for one thing - he looked rather young for his age. Then I thought "time will take care of that" . It has done. He doesn't look eighteen any more, which is just as well.

We were married 51 years ago today.

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 08:08:37

Congratulations varian, have a lovely day!

callgirl1 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:39:28

Congratulations Varian and hubby.

BBbevan Tue 19-Sep-17 19:32:01

DH and I met at art school in 1963. He had hair to his shoulders and brown suede boots to his knees. I, long dark hair, eye hiding fringe and mostly black clothes. We married in '65 and continue to be slightly unconventional ?‍?‍?‍?

varian Tue 19-Sep-17 19:48:03

Thank you for your good wishes, Alima and callgirl.

We did have a lovely day. The sun shone and we gathered the last of our plums and the first of our raspberries and drunk a bottle of fiz left over from last year's big party.

I hope we are not smug, we do realise how fortunate we've been.

Nandalot Tue 19-Sep-17 20:22:13

Sounds a perfect way to celebrate!
We met at the first night of a new folk club in our local town. He asked me if I would like a drink and I said no thank you, I was vain and wasn't wearing my glasses. My best friend said that if he asked again I should say yes as he was all right. He did and I did.
Everyone said it wouldn't last as we were always arguing. Our corners are knocked off now and life together is much calmer. Last August when we had all the DCs and GDCs to lunch he stopped and told everyone this was a special day as it was 50 years to the day that we had met. I had forgotten!
It is our golden wedding next January.

Our first date was to see 'Help!' We had to go to a cinema a few miles away. Many years later we found out that the car park of the cinema was where he had been born in the back of a taxi!

MagicWriter2016 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:09:42

Met my hubby on Internet on Yahoo dating site. We spoke to one another online for a couple of weeks or so, then spoke on phone, then after dropping loads of hints that a date might be nice, we finally met up one lunchtime in our nearest big town. It was as though we had known each other for ever. Been together about 12 years now and love him just as much. Was more scarey for him as I came with two grown up daughters and three grandkids. We now have three more grandkids. He had never been married before or had any kids ( that he knows about), so it was a big learning curve for him!

Grannyguitar Wed 20-Sep-17 15:48:38

We were on a riverbank work camp, filling sandbags to shore it up. We had to bathe in the river as there was no running water, so both of us were a bit of a sight. Can't claim that I captured him by false glamour! Met in 1975, married in 76.

cammot Wed 13-Jul-22 02:46:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsKen33 Wed 13-Jul-22 05:12:07

DH and I met at art school 60 years ago. We have always been kindred spirits. A few ups and downs but nothing we couldn’t sort out together.

JackyB Wed 13-Jul-22 08:11:57

In 1973 I was an au pair in a large German town. Through someone in my German class (he was Swiss French, so one of the few people I could communicate with) I heard about a club run by the local university, for foreign students and local students of foreign languages to get together informally. I went there a few times and met loads of others of my own age (a change after spending all day with a 3- and a 4-year-old). DH was one of them. He took me on a camping trip to France, although we weren't really going out together yet, but eventually we did stick together and married in 1977.

JackyB Wed 13-Jul-22 08:13:42

Oh dear, I've just realised that this is an ancient thread revived by someone with a complete non sequitur. I though many of the names were unfamiliar. Still, the subject is timeless.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jul-22 08:14:53

An old thread, sad to see some of the posts.

However, we met in 1968, at work and have been together ever since.

Sara1954 Wed 13-Jul-22 08:30:42

We met through a friend who was going out with him, we both went on to have serious relationships with other people, but kept in touch.
When I found myself in a very bad situation he helped me a lot, and eventually, I’d practically given up , he kissed me, that was forty seven years ago.
We’ve worked and lived together every day, certainly hasn’t always been plain sailing, but on the whole, it’s worked out well.