Gransnet forums

Chat

What daily rituals do you share with your other half?

(29 Posts)
giulia Thu 28-Sep-17 11:29:30

At (about 11 am and about 6pm), I mix an aperitive, usually a GT, and we stop whatever we are doing and sit and chat for half and hour or so. I KNOW I'm going to be preached at about the evils of alcohol etc., etc.. Don't bother - but it is the pleasure of these modest islands of pleasure which I feel are an important part of the structure of our routine lives now we have "done" 40 years of marriage. We can spend a lot of time without speaking (but comfortably so). We are both distracted by our personal interests and do not feel the social need to discuss the weather in order to fill in the verbal gaps. We do not have many luxuries as we are still paying off a mortgage - another three years to go. So, very little cinema, restaurants and no holidays, except to visit my daughter in England. What little rituals brighten up YOUR day?

ginny Fri 29-Sep-17 22:30:07

My DH has only just retired but the one thing we have already decided is that we will not have any rituals. The thought of doing the same thing at a certain time each day does not appeal to me at all.

harrigran Fri 29-Sep-17 22:54:42

DH brings glass of water for my tablet and then he brings tea back to bed which we drink while reading the newspaper online.

kittylester Sat 30-Sep-17 06:55:22

Another thing we do is photocopy the Times Quick crossword and the Quick Cryptic. If we meet up at lunchtime we gave a bit of a competition to see who can finish the Quick one first and then our own Cryptic at various times during the day or while watching TV or listening to music in the evening.