Gransnet forums

Chat

Present for 9 year old boy?

(37 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 09:52:12

He has a birthday coming up and I have bought him a cycling shirt that he wanted, but would like to buy him something hands on and frivolous, as he is a bit of a boffin and needs something to bring out his physical side.

Any ideas?

Definitely not something educational! grin

Eglantine21 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:54:57

A puppy! Just kidding..

ninathenana Thu 05-Oct-17 10:04:45

GS is 8 and loves the lego sets that make vehicles or spaceships. He's surprisingly adept at assembling them unaided.

Riverwalk Thu 05-Oct-17 10:16:11

Your DGS and everyone around will have great fun with

Stretch Armstrong

DGS has the larger one, around 10 inches tall but there is a small one that's about the size of the He-man figures.

Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 10:27:57

Well that is definitely frivolous!!!

vampirequeen Thu 05-Oct-17 13:38:01

A build your own robot kit. There are lots on Amazon.

lemongrove Thu 05-Oct-17 13:45:32

You can’t go wrong with Lego, Starwars Lego or Ninjago Lego ( I love making it too!)
Transformers are making a comeback also.

Imperfect27 Thu 05-Oct-17 13:58:03

Yup, I was just going to suggest Lego myself- I just bought a Lego Darth Vader model to put away for when GS is older. I think it originally retailed at £14.99 and I got it half price - the box said age 7-14 years.

Greyduster Thu 05-Oct-17 14:05:04

Do you think he might like K'Nex? It's a building system, but different to Lego or Meccano. GS is ten and he seems to like it, though I have to admit his first love is Lego. I said to him the other day "I like your new Lego bedroom carpet!" He said "I haven't got a new bedroom carpet". "Ah, I see", said I. "It's just loads of bits of Lego on the old carpet!" He didn't seem to think it was as funny as I did ?.

midgey Thu 05-Oct-17 14:06:53

If he is a bit of a boffin he might enjoy making his own slime, you can google the ingredients which are very simple and not too horrendously expensive.

ninathenana Thu 05-Oct-17 15:38:42

Greyduster we have two big boxes of K'Nex in the loft my two loved it when young. Sadly I can't see GC having it now.

callgirl1 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:57:46

I have a similar problem, finding a Christmas present forr a 9 year old boy, my youngest grandchild. He isn`t interested in the usual toys and games, isn`t a reader, his only real interest is his Playstation. Trouble is, I only have a certain amount to spend, and those games come in quite small packages, to a child it doesn`t seem very much. My son always says get him a game when I ask. He gets lots of toys every year, then a few months later they`re on Ebay, unopened.

JackyB Thu 05-Oct-17 16:32:13

I would give him a promise of a day at an amusement park - to be redeemed, say, in the Easter holidays, when the weather gets better. Something for him to look forward to. If he can't wait, then some indoor activity like go-karting or indoor climbing (on ropes, walls, boulders, etc). These should be well supervised, so you don't have to be an expert yourself. Incorporated with a picnic with fun food à la Famous Five, or Hogwarts.

Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 17:30:58

Lots of great ideas - thanks. I went for the Stretch Armstrong - suitable silly!

None of my GC play with lego - I wonder why not?

Riverwalk Thu 05-Oct-17 17:55:00

Lucky I'm so pleased with your decision, was about to offer to pay for Stretch to prove how much fun he is! grin

I was with DGS in Peter Jones and he insisted on buying this thing - a big heavy blob of gel-filled wrestler (my sister is amazed that I'd never heard of him). When we got home I've never laughed so much as DGS and I stretched and contorted him, particularly as he has these painted on skimpy speedos!

Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 17:59:41

I am looking forward to lots of good clean fun! I am hoping it will be an antidote to his intellectual pursuits!

travelsafar Thu 05-Oct-17 18:22:37

cinema tickets for two so he can go see a favourite film with a friend.

glassortwo Thu 05-Oct-17 20:24:04

My 11yr old GS is still obsessed with anything remote controlled car/boat/off road, and has been for the last few years. He loves lego, airplanes and his Xbox.

Lisalou Thu 05-Oct-17 21:42:56

callgirl, I would go for a treat - a day out doing something with you, or with one of his parents

callgirl1 Fri 06-Oct-17 00:06:39

Lisalou, it wouldn`t work, firstly, I`m not capable of taking him out anywhere, wish I could, and secondly his parents aren`t tuned in to anything that`s remotely the sort of thing children do. He`s an only child, born after they`d been together for 20 years, and they actively encourage him to play on computers or his PS4, then they don`t have to amuse him themselves. It saddens me. He only comes into contact with other children at school.

Grandma70s Fri 06-Oct-17 06:51:40

At what age can you start giving them money to choose their own presents? I have a grandson who will be nine next birthday, and it seems to me he already has everything. His parents don’t spoil him, but he has a lot of relations so gets a lot of presents. He’s been everywhere as well, and in any case like callgirl1 I”m not capable of taking him anywhere. It’s impossible, a real problem.

Imperfect27 Fri 06-Oct-17 06:57:28

As a rule of thumb, I might give children money for the first time when they are 11. This tends to be the time in their lives when I start to struggle with knowing what to buy for them.

Humbertbear Fri 06-Oct-17 09:36:33

My 9 yr old GS chose a garage from Hot Rods. He and his younger sister p,aged with it all summer. I also bought him the board game Labyrinth which has become a firm family favourite, suitable for ages 5-95.
As a frivolous gift I once bought him a pickled snake in a jar and it is a prize possesion

Riverwalk Wed 08-Nov-17 13:02:10

Lucky did your grandson like Stretch Armstrong?

I've just read that it's one of the 'must-haves' this Christmas - could become a collectors item!

Feelingmyage55 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:06:47

A kite, an easy one with the promise of a much more challenging one when he is ready. Lots of boffin stuff about wind speed, wind direction, weather conditions etc and out and about at the same time.