Gransnet forums

Chat

Present for 9 year old boy?

(38 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 05-Oct-17 09:52:12

He has a birthday coming up and I have bought him a cycling shirt that he wanted, but would like to buy him something hands on and frivolous, as he is a bit of a boffin and needs something to bring out his physical side.

Any ideas?

Definitely not something educational! grin

BlueBelle Wed 08-Nov-17 14:21:26

Kite wouldn’t be so good if his parents won’t have fun with him and he only sees other children at school as Luckygirl has said though Feelingmyage
Looks like Stretch was chosen and bought, hope he likes it

M0nica Wed 08-Nov-17 16:34:53

What you mean is that he is a bright child and has academic interests. If that is what he likes then give him what he likes, probably books or a subscription to one of the many clubs run for younger children with hobbies, Rockwatch for young geologists, Young Archaeologists, the RSPB has a young bird watchers club etc etc.

If this boy was sports mad everyone would be going to all lengths to encourage his interests but as soon as a child has intellectual interests everyone starts undermining him and trying to get him into doing things he doesn't want because they do not understand his interests or feel intimidated by them.

tessagee Wed 08-Nov-17 17:04:00

Lots of really good ideas above. May I just also mention (if it is allowed by GN) that I find that the websites for both Wicked Uncle and Bright Minds are excellent. Plenty of variety for all ages and reasonable prices as well as the more costly stuff of course if that's what you want.

jacq10 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:24:17

We bought Stretch Armstrong last Christmas for grandson (birthday on Christmas Day so presents always need a bit of thought!). It has been well played with and there is another version out this year so think we might buy that but think I had better get a move on as a few of the mums I meet at school pick-up time are buying them this year!! Also think the kite is a great idea.

jacq10 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:17:27

Thanks, tessagee, for the tips about Wicked Uncle and Bright Minds. Off to start my Christmas shopping!!!!!

Bathsheba Thu 09-Nov-17 15:50:32

Well my grandson is 11.5 and I struggle to know what to buy him - he really does have all the gadgets: X-box, Apple Watch, iPhone, Computer, drone, hoverboard/balance board whatever it's called grin. So I think it's going to be money for him. We've bought vouchers before now for 'adventure' thingies, but have to remind his dad to make sure they're used before the expiry date!
Do those of you recommending Stretch Armstrong think it would be suitable for a boy of this age, or d'you reckon he's a tad too old?

RobertMidkiff Fri 09-Mar-18 11:24:56

True I garee!

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:56:34

I recommended Stretch Armstrong for DGS at Christmas and when DD went to buy it the saleslady recommended that she didn't buy one. She chose something else.
Now his birthday is coming up and I'm stumped again!

ninathenana Fri 09-Mar-18 12:57:57

Now we are back in contact with DGSx2 the oldest who will 9 in May has asked us for a game for his XBox. I think at that age they do appreciate the cost of games as they are able to research them on line. DGS did say when he asked me for it that it cost £x and asked if that was ok.
He and his brother also love lego.

Grandma70s Fri 09-Mar-18 14:15:47

I finished up giving my grandson Monopoly, not an expensive present but a great hit. The only drawback is that anyone within sight (luckily not me) has to play endless games with him in every spare moment.

I also gave him a couple of books, having spent ages finding something he hadn’t read.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:17:24

Amazon have ‘ wish lists’ I encourage my GCs to pop any wants onto their wish list that I can then access at any time, saves me constantly asking my DD what they want or need. I don’t always but them from Amazon of course, mostly it’s box sets of book ,Warhammer models or items that I can get in the shops.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:18:47

PS Waterstones vouchers are always a hit with my GCs as they read huge quantities of books.