Gransnet forums

Chat

M&S still haven't found the plot they lost....

(173 Posts)
Icyalittle Sat 07-Oct-17 09:26:38

I'm trying to find a plain satin blouse for evening wear. Here's the ensemble that searching M&S brought up: a blouse with sleeves that would dip in the canapés or catch on the door handles. Plus a skirt that seems to have been made from left over bits of the fabric, with a back view that makes even their own model look as wide as a house. My prediction is that each bit will be 29p at the end of the C* season. I keep forlornly checking in at M&S because I so want them to get it right. Am I just not fashionable enough for their buyers' tastes or what?

GrandmaMoira Sat 07-Oct-17 15:22:10

The clothes in the pictures here are awful. There are some good things still in M&S. I find their skinny coloured jeans/jeggings really comfortable and fit well and underwear is still good. I've bought tops, t-shirts and a blouse this year including a couple of bits in the recent sale.
The winter colours this year and last are awful in all shops.

Liz46 Sat 07-Oct-17 15:24:39

I find M&S trousers often have baggy bits at the side - a bit like jodpurs! (I think I may have spelt that badly)

lemongrove Sat 07-Oct-17 15:38:04

Yes, the colours and shapes are a bit retro at the moment.
Am expecting to see the maxi skirts with a mini bit at the front any day now (I had one of those in plum tweedy look which I wore with tight black knee length boots and a skinny rib plum coloured jumper, tootling about and swishing my long hair I felt like a million dollars.?)
The colours are mainly plum, black and that greeny yallery colour that only suits dark hair and complexions.

GillT57 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:35:58

Those flappy, wide elbow length sleeves are awful. You can't wear anything over them, can't roll them up, they must end up covered in food, or is that just me?

All I was looking for was a pair of well cut black or navy trousers and a couple of wool or cotton jumpers/sweatshirts, anything really with full length sleeves and in real fabrics. No luck

Suki70 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:19:34

In a mad moment I signed up for an online personal shopper with M & S. Had to fill in a long, detailed questionnaire giving my height, size, body shape, colour of complexion, hair etc. So far, I've had three cheery emails from my supposedly allocated person with photos of clothes she's chosen for me - all totally unsuitable. I can comment on each garment to help with future choices and started to do this eg 'this shapeless dark beige jacket would do nothing for my pale complexion and white hair' , ' in this grey, midi, pleated skirt and thigh length, dull grey sweater I would look like a hobbit' but it became so dispiriting I gave up.

grannyticktock Sat 07-Oct-17 17:36:38

I must say I was taken aback to find how unattractive most of the clothes in M&S were recently. Nasty fabrics, ghastly colour schemes involving mustard and salmon ..... there was one jumper I quite liked (new season's stock, prominently displayed) but the only sizes available were 10 and 20, nothing in between. Even the Per Una range was disappointing.

Blinko Sat 07-Oct-17 18:09:44

I've just had a massive clearout of our walk in wardrobe, bags and bags to take to the charity shop. The beauty of everything in the shops being awful means I won't be tempted to replace all this stuff anytime soon. Every cloud, eh grin

Chewbacca Sat 07-Oct-17 19:38:28

Earlier this year I went into a large city centre M & S and saw racks and racks of hideously ugly clothes. Many of them had frills, lace, glitter, lurex bits and, unfortunately, all of that one one garment - truly unwearable. Considering that the dresses were for the summer months, they were made of thick, rigid unyielding fabric in garishly bright patterns and colours. I wondered then who would buy such horrors. Apparently, no one did because that same store has 2 floors of unsold summer clothes at 60% off this weekend. What demographic is M & S aiming for? The young wouldn't be seen dead buying clothes in there so who do they think would want to wear a peacock blue, gold and purple lurex sun ray pleated skirt, gathered on elastic?

watermeadow Sat 07-Oct-17 19:51:37

M&S are aiming at the wrong market. Older people who grew up with their well-made classics have huge buying power and our numbers increase all the time. Why won't they listen to the constant complaints that we can't find anything we like in their stores?
I want natural fabrics, clothes which won't date, simple styles, clothes which wash well.
Everything's too fussy.

Chewbacca Sat 07-Oct-17 19:57:33

They had dozens of cotton blouses with frills around the neck, cuffs and down the front button band Watermeadow. But they were in bubblegum pink! Bargain at £3.99!

grannyticktock Sat 07-Oct-17 20:02:57

They seem to think that as we baby-boomers age, we will turn into our Mums (but with more money). Instead, we are finding clothes from Monsoon, Mantaray, Cotton Traders, Seasalt... heck, even Edinburgh Wool Mill is trendier than M&S now, and Bon Marche has more variety!

Deedaa Sat 07-Oct-17 21:20:47

I have bought two sleeveless summer tops in the sale. I was particularly pleased with the Per Una one that was reeduced from £30 to£6.50! But I also tried on quite a few garments that were completely unwearable. Why do they still not realise that a size 16 woman is going to have size 16 arms and the sleeves will have to be cut bigger? On the plus side I did pick up a bag and scarf in the sale which will be put away for Christmas presents.

Oriel Sat 07-Oct-17 21:42:07

We have a large M&S near us and I used to buy from there regularly but I haven't bought anything from them for about 8 years. I sometimes go back in the hope that things might have improved but they never do.

The last time I visited I found that the Autograph range was being phased out. That was the section I used to buy from most often.

I don't think anything will get things right as they just don't listen to their customers.

Witzend Sat 07-Oct-17 21:59:42

I do moan a lot about M&S - ghastly styles, fabrics and colours, things that could have been Ok without the tacky 'bits' added, what on earth were their buyers thinking, etc. etc....
BUT
I went in yesterday, looking for some thinnish polo necks for winter layering. And lo, not only did they have them, they had them - nice cotton skinny ribs - in my size and the sort of colours I wanted!
AND they were plenty long enough!
I bought 3!

Elrel Sat 07-Oct-17 22:43:22

Tried on the ankle boots. One style wouldn't zip up and the other had a stiff section which bit into my shin. No sale.

Then went to the café. Staff were giving everyone Flora with rolls, teacakes etc. They were awaiting delivery of butter pats. But this M&S has a vast foodhall which SELLS butter!! No joined up thinking in action.

Welshwife Sat 07-Oct-17 23:52:21

I find that it depends on which store you go to - I find the smaller stores generally have nicer things than the slick city stores.

Menopaws Sun 08-Oct-17 00:03:30

George at Asda is not bad online only as I can't stand the shop but got a few things recently, good prompt service too

suzied Sun 08-Oct-17 03:16:25

Those if you who want good quality cotton t shirts in lots of colours with sleeves, good fitting jeans and leggings, linen shirts, comfortable jersey dresses etc should try Uniqlo. They only have stores in big cities, but they are good online. I too love clothes but never go in M and S anymore apart from the dine out for £10 food section.

seacliff Sun 08-Oct-17 07:50:28

I am desperate for a graduation outfit, not too fancy. Being large, I was hoping to find a nicely cut slightly longer length jacket, with perhaps a cream lace top. I have black trousers. I wanted a beautiful jacket, possibly patterned or lovely material, and flattering colour. I an prepared to pay for an item that I'd wear a lot.

I keep looking on m and s website on the forlorn hope that something will catch my eye. Don't know why I bother.

I think they'll fold soon, maybe just keep the food section. It's their own fault, they don't listen to feedback.

Icyalittle Sun 08-Oct-17 07:58:48

There are so many GNetters here who are saying exactly the same thing and whose experience was the same as mine (just a couple who have succeeded where most of us failed). I do so hope someone at M&S will read this thread. Suki70 I did that online personal shopper thing too - I don't know who she (a computer?) thought she was choosing clothes for, but everything was either stupid, or yallery/greenery, or dowdy. All I've bought from them this year is a bra!

Iam64 Sun 08-Oct-17 08:36:07

Good news about the skinny polos Witzend.
It's such a pity but it does seem M&S are doomed on the women clothing front.

fiorentina51 Sun 08-Oct-17 08:46:29

Have any of you actually seen anyone wearing these awful creations? I haven't!
Maybe it's because I live in the sticks and we aren't particularly "fashionable." ?

Christinefrance Sun 08-Oct-17 08:59:20

The M&S France website is reduced too, I suppose its because they are closing their stores here. I found nothing I would feel comfortable wearing apart from some jeans. I visited a UK store recently and didn't buy a thing, unheard of for me.
I agree with other posters what is this obsession with weird sleeves and bardot tops, everyone jumped on the band wagon like sheep. What happened to classic clothing in good quality fabrics ?

MawBroon Sun 08-Oct-17 09:04:18

seacliff look at Box 2 they have some excellent outfits in size 14-16 and upwards.

Oriel Sun 08-Oct-17 09:20:36

I chatted to one of the sales staff back at the beginning of the summer about the dreadful clothing. She agreed that it was dire and that they (the staff) knew immediately when stock was delivered that many items would end up on the sale rails.

She showed me their 'hottest' dress of the season which was expected to fly off the shelves... it was a horrendous bubblegum pink dress which had huge bell sleeves and was so stiff it could have stood up on its own.

Apparently feedback from customers to the shop floor staff was ignored by management.