Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomniacs not so anonymous!

(861 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 09-Oct-17 00:33:42

Well, I went to have a good old moan in the 'anyone awake' thread, and found it has been closed. So, here is a new one.
I'm awake, I have a headache, I'm at work, so can't go prowling around, and I know tomorrow is going to be a terrible day.

Anniebach Wed 02-May-18 09:00:10

Every night for me, I get off to sleep but wake in the night for a couple of hours,

morethan2 Wed 02-May-18 03:29:46

Oh well, it was inevitable really I’ve been awake for around an hour. Every time I go through a stage of sleeping well I think ‘oh I’ve cracked it’ only to be disappointed. It’s not so much that I’m awake now that annoys me it’s the fact I’ll feel rotten tomorrow. I’m going in the spare room now and read a few chapters of a book, with any luck I’ll drift off and won’t be too shattered in the morning

Situpstraight Wed 25-Apr-18 05:43:01

Car alarm went off at 3am, by the time I’d found the keys I was wide awake. Oh well, nearly time to get up anyway.
I’ve been sleeping better now I go to bed earlier, anytime after 10.30 and I usually wake at 4am, but if I go to bed before then I seem to be sleeping until 6.30.
Although I’m on meds at the moment, so maybe it’s more to do with that?

Newquay Mon 16-Apr-18 23:31:50

Sigh-it just goes on and on doesn't it? Insomnia is simply another way of living I fear. DD2 came to stay last week with DGC-lovely. The last night she was here I did my usual awakening about 2am-spent about 1 1/2 hours listening to Trump's speech about bombings then suddenly remembered I could make a fruit flan for visitors who were coming for lunch after DD left for home. So, about 3.30am got up and, ever so quietly, I made a fruit flan (ready made sponge base). Back to bed about 5am, had some sleep but was up about 8am with DGC. Since then have been threatening a cold so had Night Nurse the last two nights and slept well. Night night everyone.

Izabella Mon 16-Apr-18 17:44:47

Insomnia for years. However, when sorting out things ready for a house move I found some sheets and blankets so ousted the duvet and reverted to old fashioned bedding. Result? Sleep like a log. If only I had realised long ago.

Chinesecrested Thu 12-Apr-18 22:32:53

My ddil has a problem sleeping - her daughter (2 next month) woke up six times on Tuesday night (today's Thursday). She wakes up regularly several times a night. And no, I haven't offered to let her sleep here, although I do have the 5 year old brother (a good sleeper). What a bad mil I am!

watermeadow Thu 12-Apr-18 11:21:18

I wouldn’t say I have insomnia as I fall asleep as soon as I lie down, butMichael Mosley had a programme on his problem and I’m the same. I wake up, wide awake, anytime from 2 am and cannot go back to sleep.
If it’s 4 o’clock or later I get up, as I can’t bear staying in bed. It doesn’t matter, I haven’t got to go to work and can have a nap later, but my body clock is stupidly fast. I want my meals hours early and can’t stay up beyond 9 o’clock. Going to bed later makes no difference.

MissAdventure Thu 12-Apr-18 10:40:20

I don't think they agree with me either.
Apart from not making me sleep, I had an awful headache the next day - felt as if I could have slept all day.
I didn't take one last night.

silverlining48 Thu 12-Apr-18 10:34:35

Phenergan are still around, I was prescribed them recently and it has phenergan on the box, but they didn’t agree with me and left a very bitter taste in the mouth all day, but zopiclone work beautifully. Don’t wake up with a muzzy head, nasty taste, and sleep through dh coughing, turning over, going to the bathroom, etc etc.
Only problem is I don’t get given many so need to make them last. I can see how they can be addictive.....

annsixty Wed 11-Apr-18 08:10:46

That is really interesting MissA as I googled your tablets and realised I remembered it as Phenergen.
I am old enough to remember when Phenergen was sold over the counter as a syrup and " slightly unscrupulous mothers" would give it to babies and young children to knock them out if they were poor sleepers or if they wanted to ensure they stayed asleep.
It was viewed rather badly and I thought it had been taken off the market years ago.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Apr-18 22:33:24

They're called promethazine, the leaflet that came with them say they can be used as an anti histamine, can be given to children, and so on.
I think i'll just stick to taking one tonight.
I'm pretty robust ordinarily, but I have felt quite strange and unwell today.

morethan2 Tue 10-Apr-18 20:56:45

I’m really sorry the pills made things worse MissAdventure What were the pills? Years ago when I was having a difficult night my sister in law gave me an amitriptyline and it made me feel much worse. Some medication doesn’t suit all. There was a piece on Good Morning Britain today about sleep. Too be fair it didn’t tell us what we all didn’t know but it may be useful. I’m sure you could watch it on the ITV Hub. Hope you all have a fairly decent night.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Apr-18 20:35:34

Well, I had a terrible night, followed by an awful day.
Headache, tired, feeling a bit nauseous (maybe through tiredness?)
I'm not sure if its the fault of the pills, but I have felt quite wretched.
I'm a bit nervous to take even one, tonight.

silverlining48 Tue 10-Apr-18 20:16:17

Thank you annie and I wish you a full nights sleep.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 20:01:03

Oh I am sorry silverlining, then as well as a good flight I wish your daughter a speedy recovery x

silverlining48 Tue 10-Apr-18 19:53:18

Thank you, we are visiting our daughter who is about to have another operation.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 17:50:57

silverlining, unless you are meeting an incoming flight, I wish you a good flight x

silverlining48 Tue 10-Apr-18 17:46:08

So sorry your pills don’t seem to be working Annie. It’s awful laying awake hour after hour.
I have tried 2 different sleeping tablets as well as ametrypteline which my doctor said helps sleep. They didn’t work for me unfortunately so might it be worth trying to get something different.? Hope you get some sleep tonight.
we have an early start for the airport tomorrow which usually means a bad night.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 11:39:44

I take a sleeping pill, was awake from 2.30 until gone 5.00 last night , still wake every night and feel doped next day

annsixty Tue 10-Apr-18 09:21:58

Please report on your pills MissA and name them if they worked.
I am like a coiled spring every night, I just can't relax or even lie still.
I used to be able to drop off after lunch but can't even do that now.
It is all very well saying older people don't need as much sleep, if they sit around all day, I can understand, but I can't do that, I am at my H's beck and call.
Poor man can't help it I know, it is just frustrating.

silverlining48 Tue 10-Apr-18 09:12:35

Hope you had a decent nights sleep MissA. and your gentle pills did the trick. ...zzzzzzzzzz
In desperation I took my z type sleeper and had a fabulous full and undisturbed nights sleep and it’s wonderful.
Because ........we deserve it. Have a good day.

MissAdventure Mon 09-Apr-18 23:30:08

Well, I've taken two of my gentle sedative pills.
I've got a headache from being so tired all the time, so fingers crossed.
I might go and assume sleep position in readiness. smile

morethan2 Mon 09-Apr-18 16:26:44

Fingers crossed MissAdventure

MissAdventure Sun 08-Apr-18 22:28:11

Oh, and thank you, morethan for your good wishes.
My wonder pills can be bought over the counter, apparently, so I'm feeling a bit deflated, I rather fancied a being knocked out.
I'll report back once I've got my hands on the pills.

MissAdventure Sun 08-Apr-18 22:21:05

I've been to the doctors today, and been prescribed a kind of mild sedative type pill.
The doc said he would only give me something light.
I was so looking forward to trying them out.
Then I remembered: I haven't actually got the them yet. blush
Blame lack of sleep and Sunday doctors' appts.