Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomniacs not so anonymous!

(860 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 09-Oct-17 00:33:42

Well, I went to have a good old moan in the 'anyone awake' thread, and found it has been closed. So, here is a new one.
I'm awake, I have a headache, I'm at work, so can't go prowling around, and I know tomorrow is going to be a terrible day.

ninathenana Mon 09-Oct-17 01:10:20

Sympathies MissAdventure
I'm laying in bed using my Kindle. It's my way of sending myself to sleep. A few games of solitare will finish me off.

MawBroon Mon 09-Oct-17 01:40:30

Did Anyone Awake hit the 1000 posts mark then?
That’s a lot of insomnia.

Anniebach Mon 09-Oct-17 03:46:47

I awoke at 3am, I do every night but not insomnia , a health problem. I am so very tired and long to get back to sleep.

hildajenniJ Mon 09-Oct-17 11:21:25

I was awake between 03:45 and 05:30. Not because of insomnia, but because my 18 year old dog was crying. I think another trip to the vet is in order. She seems to have pain or irritation in her back legs, and can't stop herself from licking and chewing the worst affected leg.

MawBroon Mon 09-Oct-17 11:32:06

Oh poor doggie.
Grace used to lie in her bed and grumble/ whimper sometimes. I never knew if it was pain, grumbling or just age.
She used to have Metacam though and sometimes Tramadol as her back legs were troubling her.
Still feel sad about her.? sad

Marydoll Mon 09-Oct-17 11:33:15

My problem was the smoke alarm beeping all night, needing a new battery. Of course, DH snored all the way through it (another cause of my insomnia grin) and I am too vertically challenged to reach it without going out to the garage for ladders, which I can't lift anyway!

silverlining48 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:18:40

I had a better night than usual....slept til 4 and put on the radio, world service, interesting that. Then woke again at 5.30 radio on again, dozed and finally woke at 6.30. Radio back on. Stayed in bed, eyes closed, husband brought tea and fruit.
Am down stairs now, still in my pj's having spent the morning on this annoyingly addictive machine ( ipad) and talking to a friend, instead of getting dressed! Which is what i am going to do now, i really am!
Have a good day all and a hope for a better night tonight, with sleep arriving if only because of total exhaustion.

LadyGracie Mon 09-Oct-17 13:00:21

I woke at 1.15 and last looked at clock just before 4, it’s getting to be a habit I wish I could break, especially as I always wake at around 6.30.

MissAdventure Mon 09-Oct-17 13:20:30

Its really annoying, the waking up at regular intervals. I used to sleep like a log, regardless of what was going on during the day. My eyes are constantly red and gritty.

Grandma70s Mon 09-Oct-17 14:05:43

Why has the old one closed?

I wasn’t too bad last night, after a truly awful night before that. I still woke at 5 but I’d had a reasonable amount of sleep before that.

Charleygirl Mon 09-Oct-17 14:10:36

Oh dear, I think that you lot need to come to my house for lessons, I slept for nearly 9 hours last night and possibly would have slept for longer if Tara my cat did not decide that it was time to move and started screeching.

Greyduster Mon 09-Oct-17 18:49:37

I was bloody annoyed last night when, having gone to bed and gone straight to sleep, I was woken at around four by two Twitter alerts on my husband's phone! Who they hell tweets at that time of the morning? Did he hear them? Did he heck and the phone was right by his ear!?

cornergran Tue 10-Oct-17 03:26:05

Woke at 2am, still awake so retreating into the iPad. That will teach me to say yesterday evening how well I was sleeping hmm. Busy day ahead with lots of driving so I'm trying to convince myself it doesn't matter that I'm not asleep, I'm resting. So, back to iPlayer I think. I also wonder why the other thread was closed. What did we do?

MawBroon Tue 10-Oct-17 03:45:52

I’m fairly certain it was because it had reached its maximum of 1000 posts - nothing sinister.

cornergran Tue 10-Oct-17 03:48:30

Of course, mawb, just checked. Good job you are the voice of reason. smile.

Nana3 Tue 10-Oct-17 04:10:18

There was a message to say it was full and closing or something like that corner, are you driving today? That would be so hard after little sleep.

cornergran Tue 10-Oct-17 04:14:30

Afraid so, nana3, I'll be fine, it will be Wednesday when it hits. Starting to feel heavy eyed now so about to have another go at sleeping. Very over rated is sleep smile. What's keeping you awake? You anticipating a difficult day? Or just one of those nights?

Nana3 Tue 10-Oct-17 04:27:09

I usually wake up after 4 hours these days, I will hopefully sleep again after a cuppa and reading for a bit. My Mum is on end of life care and I see her every day but I'm planning to change it to every other day as she doesn't know me now and it's too distressing. This is probably playing on my mind. Thanks for asking.
Sleep well.

cornergran Tue 10-Oct-17 07:41:31

Well, I did go back to,sleep, nana as hopefully you did. Can understand there will be much going on in your head, even if in the background. It's hard when we expect to lose a parent. Going every other day seems sensible, will be thinking of you and your Mum.

Nelliemoser Tue 10-Oct-17 07:48:22

I have this problem quite often, my back gets painful at night and I need to move. I was away on holiday last week and could not do my trick of sitting in the recliner chair to ease it.
It's really miserable being awake in the small hours . That's when the worries etc start going around in your head.

Nana3 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:00:52

Thank you corner I appreciate that very much.
Sorry to hear about your back Nelliemoser lots of Grans on here have back and knee problems.

Marydoll Tue 10-Oct-17 08:13:07

"Oh what a night", as the song goes. I have been awake most of the night itching all over. I suspect it's my medication.
I was feeling sorry for myself, until I read your post Nana. Having been in the same position as yo, there there are no words to express the sadness which overwhelms you.
Please take care of yourself.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Oct-17 02:04:57

Awake again. Listened to a sleep hypnosis video on YouTube, but well.. not for me. Not tonight. sad

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 03:58:50

Been awake since 2.30, so tired, months of this .