Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this news BBC?

(45 Posts)
Esspee Fri 13-Oct-17 08:04:18

Just had a quick scan of the BBC news website. On page 1 there is an item titled "Why are women wearing big pants?" Well frankly BBC the answer is obvious to at least 50% of the population but my question is who considers this type of rubbish "journalism" news? We are paying your salaries, get back to doing what you are paid for!

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 08:10:22

Hear hear! Puts the tabloids to shame for trivialities!

Newquay Fri 13-Oct-17 08:45:28

I never cease to be amazed at the trivia that is shown on the news when there are such mighty things going on in the world-good and bad-yet all we seem to get is an avalanche of bad news plus rubbish!

Anya Fri 13-Oct-17 08:53:24

Or when the death of a Coronation Street actress is the lead news ?

Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 08:57:02

Big pants! - what rubbish. News?

Morgana Fri 13-Oct-17 13:12:18

I despair of the BBC news at the moment.
Last night there was a long piece about fat burgers in the sewers. Yes it is of concern but surely there were other more important news items that could have been covered?

Imperfect27 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:14:04

Morgana, so do I!

Shoddy journalism, done on the cheap ... often not real news at all.

Radio is slightly better.

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 13:17:19

Actually the existence of fatbergs (rather than “fat burgers” which are by definition “fatty”) is really significant to those who live in cities and who,like those who live in London, may still be relying on a Victorian sewer system.

Esspee Fri 13-Oct-17 14:42:36

My OH tells me that when he lived in China fat was collected from restaurants and food processing plants to be fed to pigs. Makes me feel sick at the thought.

Jaycee5 Sat 14-Oct-17 08:44:32

It's just space filling. It must be soul destroying to have to write some of it.

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 08:53:15

Esspee presumably the pigs didn’t?
I remember how we had to scrape our leftovers into the pigswill bin after school dinners. Maybe nauseatingly to us, but welcome goodies for the pigs.

Ronnie Sat 14-Oct-17 08:56:14

Lazy journalism is alive and thriving. I often wonder why all channels feed us news twice...it’s reported today and sure enough it’s repeated the next day, often in exactly the same format. Why? Do they think we are lacking in capacity and cannot understand or take it in on the first broadcast?

Carolpaint Sat 14-Oct-17 09:15:24

Do not know about big pants, what is meant to be obvious?
Fat bergs is vitally important, down the loo should only go pee, paper and poo, else like my next door neighbour who gets excrement, wet wipes, cotton buds etc piling back over the top of the drain cover all over his garden because of others just putting everything down the toilet. Vital being sustainable to life, widen your heart to what is happening in sewers, rivers and oceans, so put your fat in used pots and put in your household bin, less in your food and you would not need big pants. ??

JackyB Sat 14-Oct-17 09:36:16

The problem is surely that the media feel obliged to feed us 24/7 news, and disasters and political events are not enough to fill all that space, so they pick up on dubious studies and press releases and blow them out of proportion to stop the gaps. The bad journalism and unthinking cutting-and-pasting results from this self-imposed pressure. Why can't they see that it would be more to the public's taste and better for them to report on some more "good news" items rather than dredging up tawdry tales of z-list celebrities and questionable studies about ladies' underwear. Or just realise that the public are happy to accept the occasional hour of no new at all rather than useless fluff.

Why not go back to the kittens on the hearthrug playing with the ball of wool? Crikey - back in those days we didn't even have 24 hour telly, let alone 24 hour news.

Anniebach Sat 14-Oct-17 09:57:08

What is interesting to some will bore others, there is no one thread here which interests everyone, so it is with the news.

BRedhead59 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:02:42

They also get news from Facebook and Twitter that I've read the day before like the man who swallowed the fish. I agree BBC news, in particular, is totally shallow.

1moleta3 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:04:16

What happens to the fat in the sewer 'fatbergs' - is it deodorised, cleaned up, re-cycled into the food chain?

Tessa101 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:13:45

Agree with anniebach.

Anniebach Sat 14-Oct-17 10:16:47

Not everyone reads twitter and Facebook , and I would rather hear of the man who swallowed a fish than another allegation against HW, so boring but some find it interesting.

W11girl Sat 14-Oct-17 10:33:54

At first glance I agreed with you about "Big Pants" being rubbish news...then I thought of the businesses who are interested in this sought of news....it helps the economy go round. Businesses are aware that Big knickers are big business, watch for the hike in prices! Who knows they might even decide to make them prettier than they usually do! Its not such a bad thing thing to have all sorts of news, it makes the world go round....even fake news!! You either chose to read it or you don't. I hasten to add I never read celeb gossip or items with silly headlines. But I would have read about the big pants, if I'd seen it!

Elegran Sat 14-Oct-17 10:59:15

1moleta What happens to the fat in the sewer 'fatbergs' - is it deodorised, cleaned up, re-cycled into the food chain? - Maybe they melt it and pour it down the drain . . . grin

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Oct-17 11:06:21

On the subject of nauseating objects in sewers will some one advise me, as my gc live overseas, where do used disposable nappies end up in the UK?hmm

MaizieD Sat 14-Oct-17 11:09:20

Landfill, Imoleta, it goes to landfill.

(Very funny, though, Elegran grin )

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Oct-17 11:14:37

BRedhead 59 I only caught the tail end grinof that piece of news but apparently it was a large fish? how on earth did the guy manage to even get it in his mouth let alone swallow it?

MaizieD Sat 14-Oct-17 11:15:36

sarahellen My DD always put them into plastic bags and then into the dustbin. So they ended up in landfill. Where they take years and years to biodegrade.

(I don't approve at all of regular use of disposable nappies, but that's another topic altogether)