Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone got a good recipe for--------?

(36 Posts)
chicken Wed 18-Oct-17 17:30:29

We've got a glut of Bramley type cooking apples this year. I've put loads in the freezer as slices and semi-puree, we don't like chutney much, don't need jam, and friends and neighbours are similarly overloaded, so, as they don't store well,( the apples, not the friends!) I wondered if any of you have a good recipe for a cake using them. We've got an invasion of relatives due in a few weeks so it would be useful to have a supply of cakes in the freezer in readiness for the hungry hordes.

fiorentina51 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:34:42

I've tried this one a couple of times. Goes well with a dollop of clotted cream!
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dorset-apple-cake

jusnoneed Wed 18-Oct-17 17:56:45

I use the same basic recipe that I use for fruit cake, just sub the dry fruit with apple.
I still work in English weights so
8ozs SR Flour
4ozs marg
4ozs sugar - white or brown
2 beaten eggs
I usually use a couple of prep'd bramleys (3 if small) chopped into half inch cubes.
Cinnamon or mixed spice
A splash of milk if mix seems too need softening.

Rub flour and marg together. Add sugar, eggs, spice, apple and mix. Add milk if needed.
I usually bake it in a loaf tin but a round tin is fine too. Bake Gas 5 for about 50 mins.

Teetime Wed 18-Oct-17 18:02:30

I had the same issue with a beautiful crop of apples but too many for us. I did Mary Berry's Apple Cake just googled it- it comes straight up it was delicious we woofed it in two days.

BBbevan Wed 18-Oct-17 18:59:39

Based on the Dorset Apple cake, but with a crumble topping. This cake is lovely with a dollop of cream or even custard

watermeadow Wed 18-Oct-17 19:26:57

Cakes won't use many apples. I stew then freeze in bags, they take up less space that way. Also freeze apple crumbles, everyone loves crumble.

chicken Wed 18-Oct-17 19:45:12

Thanks. They sound great. I can feel a mammoth baking session coming on!

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:47:27

Dorset Apple Cake is delicious, here is one recipe (not the one I used but similar, there are other recipes on the web)
www.dorsetfoodiefamily.co.uk/dorset-apple-cake/

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:53:49

Someone put a recipe on GN for apple butter - I made some and it is delicious with a cold platter and particularly with cheese.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:55:27

There are lots of recipes on GN - click on Food then do a search for 'Apple Cake' or whatever.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:36:37

Very happy to see this thread. Storm Ophelia helped the apples from our two trees make it to the ground all at once.
I think make some Apple Butter in the slow cooker.

paddyann Wed 18-Oct-17 23:25:49

I make apple and parsley jelly ,its lovely with cold meats instead of chutney.It uses a lot of apples too

Maggieanne Thu 19-Oct-17 10:50:31

Oh, thank goodness. I opened this post in the hopes, fingers crossed, that I could at least see if someone might suggest using apples, and lo and behold! This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you chicken. Of course, if anyone can suggest a recipe for a cake that doesn't taste too appley, that would be good, my oh doesn't like fruitsad

Coconut Thu 19-Oct-17 11:15:58

I still have a mountain of apples too high up to pick, so daily check to grab them off the lawn quick. I have buckets that I have frozen plus given away too. Have been making apple oat cakes and apple flapjacks for the grandchildren’s packed lunches, they love them. There are loads of really nice easy recipes on line ??

Nonnie Thu 19-Oct-17 11:16:05

Make a Madeira cake mixture, put half in a loaf tin, add sliced apples, add rest of mixture then more sliced apples. Dredge with any kind of brown sugar. Yummy.

GeminiJen Thu 19-Oct-17 11:37:36

I'm not a Gran who bakes but I do enjoy making soup....and also have a glut of apples. A favourite with the grandchildren is Carrot, Apple and Fennel.
25ml olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
225g carrots, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
125g apples, peeled, cored and chopped
600ml vegetable stock
600ml apple juice
salt, pepper according to taste.

1. Heat oil. Gently fry onion, fennel, carrot, celery and apple for 5 minutes
2. Add stock and apple juice, bring to boil, turn down heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
3. Liquidise and season to taste.
4. Serve with a sprig of fresh fennel feathers (optional)

Milly Thu 19-Oct-17 12:55:12

Sorry Chicken I'm afraid I don't have a recipe, but I have a question for everyone and don't know how to start a new thread, so am using this for it!
I am not much of a cook but like to look at recipes, such as the daily ones on Gransnet to see if I could make it, but find they always have lots of ingredients that I have either never heard of or would need a whole pantry full to use. A pinch of this, and a teaspoon of that etc. so I give up, Do the rest of you have all these ingredients standing by ready to be used when you see a recipe you fancy?

Carolpaint Thu 19-Oct-17 13:40:49

Milly only sometimes but you wanted to use lots of apples.
Buy two packets of all butter puff pastry, four sponge tins,make up lots of stewed apples, plus another pile of sliced and peeled raw apples, put the tins in the oven with a big knob of butter and whatever sugar you have plenty of, when it looks bubbly, take out the tins, arrange the apples in the caramel type goo, then top with the apple mush, then lay on top half of each rolled out puff pastry, return to the oven and cook until pastry is a lovely colour. If you want to eat one that day, just flip it out upside down so pastry is on the bottom and apples on top. The others just cool and freeze, when you want to use them defrost heat in the tin in the oven for about 20/30 mins and do the flip trick on to a big round plate. You do not have to cut rounds just lay on top of the hot apples and tuck in a bit. Hope you enjoy, it works with gluts of all sorts of fruit like plums etc. Lots of bubbly butter and sugar, do not be mean.???

barbaralynne Thu 19-Oct-17 14:03:08

We dry our apples and pears - this can be done in a very cool oven or in a dessicator. They then take up much less space, are yummy treats for the grandchildren and can be rehydrated for puddings etc quite easily.

Galen Thu 19-Oct-17 14:04:14

I’m using mine to make Somerset chicken ( presuming I can be ar—d to go and get some chicken.

Galen Thu 19-Oct-17 14:05:56

carolpaint I call that tarte tatin

HootyMcOwlface Thu 19-Oct-17 14:07:04

If after all these suggestions you still have more than you can use - some kind souls round here leave tubs of surplus apples out by the roadside for passers by to take a few. ? lovely of them!

TellNo1Ok Thu 19-Oct-17 14:19:28

i have found that when cooking bramleys... if you wash quarter core and DON'T peel... pop on a pan-ful with a BIT of water and sugar..... cook to puree...
you will find that the skins have fallen off and you can pick out the skins...
save yourself the massive chore of peeling...
then i bag them up in 1lb bags of puree and pop them into the freezer for when they are needed... i use them throughout the year...

Funnygran Thu 19-Oct-17 14:29:43

Same here although I peel them before cooking. We don’t have an apple tree but have friends who have a couple and don’t use them so every year we get a few bags given. I fill plastic takeaway containers and freeze them, they are a great dessert with some natural yoghurt or made into crumbles. The ones we are given also don’t need any sugar on them.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:01:11

I call that tarte tatin as well carolpaint and Galen except that I haven't tried using stewed apples in it. And I spend too much time trying to make the sliced apples look pretty.

Delicious, although Raymond le Blanc etc would probably be horrified!!