Gransnet forums

Chat

How many Cardigans do you own?

(72 Posts)
debbie1967 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:07:37

Will be moving house in the next month or so and realised that although I never feel happy with my outfits any more I appear to have a lot of clothes.
Definetly need to limit tho make excuses to keep things.

Should I just start with minimising what I have, half a wardrobe of cardigans and a few people have made jokes about being a Cardigan lover.

How do you choose what stays and goes?

Madgran77 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:51:03

Cardigans in various colours, patterns etc are my go to for layering as I alternate hot and cold. Why not work out what tops match what bottoms (so to speak!) and the range of outfit combinations available, then clear out the ones that don't fit anywhere into that criteria! Keeping bit matching might just tempt you into buying more things...to match!! wink

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 14:58:11

Don’t be silly Madgran smile
Like shoes and handbags you CANNOT have too many cardigans.

midgey Sat 21-Oct-17 14:58:46

Go through the wardrobe, if you haven’t worn for a year....recycle it. If you have ‘gone off’ it ....recycle it. If it’s a bit tired/worn...well you get the gist!

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 14:59:34

I have in fact just retrieved one from Monsoon from the charity bag. What WAS I thinking?

Bambam Sat 21-Oct-17 15:10:07

My mantra also Mawbroon. You can NEVER have too many cardigans. Long cardigans, short cardigans, fine knit, chunkyknit, lacy knit,dressed-up cardigans and best of all COMFORT cardigans. smile
Thank goodness you retrieved the Monsoon from the charity bag. As you so rightly said, what were you thinking?

kittylester Sat 21-Oct-17 15:12:43

I've only got 2! I must rectify that immediately!

shysal Sat 21-Oct-17 15:21:09

I don't possess a cardigan! Being a hot body I never feel the need for an extra layer.

Nelliemoser Sat 21-Oct-17 15:22:16

About seven some of them are quite old.
I have a black lambs wool cardigan with a cable pattern, from BHS which must be at the very least be 15 yrs old I have worn it a lot and it is getting a bit shiny now.

I did well from BHS for things like that as did my husband.
BHS may have been going under business wise but that greedy selfish git Philip Green did to that business in the end was criminal.

Bambam Sat 21-Oct-17 15:26:22

You must have a comfort cardigan kitty! shock If not, that would be the first one I would get to start your "collection". It need not be expensive, in fact cheap is fine, the criteria is very soft, snuggly knit, a bit stretchy and shapeless and a good couple of sizes too big.
I know we have dressing gowns and the like, but cc's are essential.I
I was recently sending one to be recycled when dd popped in, looked in the bag and said "what's this,". I told her just a very raggy comfort cardigan ( chenille grin do they even make that anymore) she grabbed it saying "I'm having it". She actually texted me that evening to tell me how much she loved it. So you see kitty, they can be handed down (like heirlooms) grin.

Bambam Sat 21-Oct-17 15:28:37

Nelliemoser, you have a PERFECT comfort cardigan in the making there. grin

Willow500 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:35:39

Erm goes through wardrobe in head long ones in grey, black, navy, red, white, cream plus one very cheap, very thick fair-isle one I usually end up wearing by the end of the day due to being cold. Shorter - white, blue, black with dots, plain black x several. Yes I have too many blush

debbie1967 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:39:11

I have about 30-40 in total. About 5 cashmere, some I've had a good number of years, one believe it or not I have had since as far back as 1989. I have quite a few plain work cardigans.

I have a few I will definetly throw away.

Reading this thread has made me happy as I thought the amount of cardigans was very excessive.

rockgran Sat 21-Oct-17 15:55:21

Just did a quick count - about 30! They are all different and necessary!

eazybee Sat 21-Oct-17 16:25:50

I only have four and a half!
But I do have seven breadboards.

mumofmadboys Sat 21-Oct-17 16:49:40

What is half a cardy?

Izzywizzy Sat 21-Oct-17 16:50:36

Oh I feel so much better now. I put my summer clothes away today and really struggled to decide which cardies to put in the summer pile as I like them all ,all twenty of them.
And why is it that I prefer the older ones, so comfy and reliable and the newer ones, so pretty and new ! ?

loopyloo Sat 21-Oct-17 17:04:45

Cardigans are very fashionable at the moment.
I agree you can never have too many.
I have my eye on a grey one from Next.

MissAdventure Sat 21-Oct-17 17:10:02

I went through a cardigan phase a while back, so I've got quite a few, but I think I've grown out of the phase and the cardigans now.

debbie1967 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:12:44

Yeh I have heard a few people saying fashionable though mostly wear em as I am cold. Also have cardigans in pretty much every colour lol

lemongrove Sat 21-Oct-17 17:14:14

I never buy jumpers, too hot, so cardigans are perfect.From memory I have about six ( I now feel a seventh coming on.?)

Pittcity Sat 21-Oct-17 17:16:50

I have got loads. I have just discovered some lovely 100% cotton ones in Primark and they have some colours that I've not got yet.....

debbie1967 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:19:31

Yeh Primark is good, have bought stuff from there in the past.

watermeadow Sat 21-Oct-17 19:43:43

I’ve got 3, which is plenty. I only wear them in summer. The rest of the year I wear jumpers.
Why does op have half a wardrobe of them? Does she hang them up? My woollies are all folded in a drawer.

paddyann Sat 21-Oct-17 19:48:27

3 ,one long two short.BHS is still around nelliemoser its online ,I've just bought light fittings from them