Gransnet forums

Chat

These are a few of my favourite things ...

(45 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 22-Oct-17 07:25:24

In relation to a.n.other thread that was about how much (unnecessary) 'stuff' we seem to accumulate, I got to thinking about what I particularly love and use well amongst all the stuff I own.

I am limiting myself to three favourite things, though there are bound to be more. For me these are:

1: A Persian blanket/throw, bought from eBay many moons ago. This lives in the lounge. It feels silky, has a lovely weight to it and is perfect for snuggling up on a cold day when I want to stint on the heating.

2: A chunky mug - a 'teacher gift' from long ago. I like the size and sturdiness of it. I have some fancier ones, but this is my end of day mug so associated with a last cosy drink before bed time.

3: Glass mosaic coasters - bought from a shop called 'Pier' several years ago. Beautiful to look at and used every day.

Over to you then - three favourite useful things?

chicken Sun 22-Oct-17 08:27:36

I'll stick strictly to the category of USEFUL things.
1. A little paring knife which fits beautifully to my hand. I'm lost if it gets mislaid ( usually because OH has "borrowed" it.
2. My new chair ( a secondhand Stressless ) sooo comfortable.
3. The Aga cooker, oven always ready, warm kitchen and the washing dried on a wet day.

Imperfect27 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:29:57

chicken I nearly opted for my favourite little knife too - size and weight in the hand and the fineness of blade - one of the things that make life tick along nicely!

kittylester Sun 22-Oct-17 08:44:08

Not strictly a thing but the window seat in the kitchen for watching the birds on the feeders.

My bed - it's memory foam and we've just got a new duvet and linen.

My big Jamie Oliver casserole dish used to make meals when all the family are around!

Alima Sun 22-Oct-17 08:45:35

1. My Brown-handled serrated knife bought in Woolies probably 40 years ago. The only knife with which I can cut cheese nicely so used every single day.
2. Our coffee table, bought for a fiver off a friend's sister in the mid- eighties. It is made of solid wood and had been re-varnished several times. In use every night as a foot stool.
3. My book mark, bought for me by one of our daughters from a school trip to Thorpe Park yonks ago. In use every day, good as new except that our latest cat chewed a couple of the tassels off.

Humbertbear Sun 22-Oct-17 08:47:00

1. My little teddy bear which has more outfits than me and who travels everywhere with me.
2. A print of a painting by the Japanese Artist Foujita which has hung in every bedroom I have occupied since the age of 12. A ceramic pot with a lid which was an anniversary present from my son and his family. The children each painted a third of the outside, my son decorated the lid and my DiL painted the inside.

Greyduster Sun 22-Oct-17 08:52:10

My Wychwood fly rod. It has a lovely action and is light enough to cast all day without feeling the strain.
My old Parker Knoll recliner. Really ought to have been sent to the tip ages ago, but when my back is playing up it is a friend indeed.
My heat resistant oven gloves. DS was so impressed with them I bought him a pair for his birthday.

loopyloo Sun 22-Oct-17 08:54:59

Has to be 3 photos
I DGS laughing with the wind blowing his hair.
DGD riding a pony that has the shortest legs possible.
The six of us together.
Very rare event.

lemongrove Sun 22-Oct-17 08:57:35

A small sturdy cabin case, which has gone on all our holidays for the past 40 years or more ( they don’t make ‘em like that any more)?
Second.....
A large non stick pasta pot ( and I do mean large!) that I bought about ten years ago and means that I can cook pasta for up to 12 people ( the whole family) when needed.
Third...
Yes, like others, it’s a knife, a small vegetable knife which I would be lost without.

radicalnan Sun 22-Oct-17 11:00:20

A white aluminium garden set, has lasted years and looks beautifuk in every garden.

My lap top, which is my window on the world.

The world's ugliest, warmest cardigan.

MinniesMum Sun 22-Oct-17 11:07:31

I hope your OH didn't use your precious knife for lifting manhole covers as mine did! Greee. I made him go to Lakeland and buy another Robert Welch knife as it was quite expensive. He was quite surprised at how much it cost him but with arthritic hands I simply cannot do without it.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 11:13:47

1. A handmade wooden model of my cottage that a dear friend had made for my last "significant" birthday. 2. An oak framed mirror. The oak had been part of my cottage's original door frame and was salvaged when I modernised it. 3. A wobbly little house ornament that sits on my kitchen windowsill and was made by DS when he was 7.

Teddy123 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:20:15

My travertine dining table (with matching side table)

Mascara and blusher ....

Greengage Sun 22-Oct-17 11:27:06

I'm a hoarder. Couldn't possibly list only three items! However, family and friends are what actually mean the world to me, so am at long last in the process of decluttering to make my house a home again where my friends and family will feel welcomed.

Flossieturner Sun 22-Oct-17 11:52:20

My 3 most precious possessions are my Electric Heated Shoulder Blanket, My Tea mugs and my IPad.

Sheilasue Sun 22-Oct-17 12:00:04

My iPad, my new footstool, and listening to the radio.

Christinefrance Sun 22-Oct-17 12:40:12

My treasured possessions are
My dogs
My phone to Whatsapp the family
My husband

pinkjj27 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:54:38

Only three? oh no not possible. Apart form my kids
1 A beautiful burgundy wine coloured class coffee table that my late husband and daughter brought for me just before he died.
2 Photos of my family
3 my lap top that is my life line as I spend a lot of time alone and I use it to read grandsnet and enter competitions, read blogs and stuff to stop me becoming to lonely without my wonderful late hubby.

pinkjj27 Sun 22-Oct-17 12:55:09

That should say Glass

blueskies Sun 22-Oct-17 12:56:47

My treasured possession is a metal ring. Dad found a chain necklace on the top deck of a tram many moons ago. I remember him sitting at the kitchen table with his pliers and making four rings from it. One for each of his daughters. I sonetimes wear it for comfort and would be heartbroken if I lost it.

Nanabilly Sun 22-Oct-17 12:58:54

Mine are ...
1. A clown pottery ornament we bought in a small pottery in mevagissey on our first camping holiday with friends.
2 A Suzie Marsh lifesize cat ornament that my hubby bought me the Christmas after I had a stroke and heart attack on the same day and we thought I would not be around for that Christmas . About 20 years ago now and I've accumulated 5 Suzie Marsh cats since ,all from hubby.
3 A really ugly pot that my eldest son made me when in primary school . It's brown and misshapen but I treasure it .

adaunas Sun 22-Oct-17 13:09:26

Phone for contacts, reading if I don't have my Kindle with me and listening to audiobooks when I'm driving or I can't sleep.
iPad for FaceTime so I can see distant family and friends, and doing jigsaws with strangely shaped pieces that never get lost.
My recliner chair for the end of a long day.

Marnie Sun 22-Oct-17 13:41:29

Same as many my knife over fifty years old. My tablet. My phone to keep in touch with all the treasured family and see their photos etc

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Oct-17 13:45:24

Sewing machine
Good scissors
Strawberry huller

Sar53 Sun 22-Oct-17 13:54:43

Family photos, pictures of mum and dad and my girls when they were little and my beautiful four granddaughters.
A table lamp with a faux Tiffany shade bought by my daughters for a Birthday long ago.
My books, couldn't live without them.