Gransnet forums

Chat

Naughty but nice

(121 Posts)
NanKate Mon 23-Oct-17 21:45:44

DH and I don’t buy each other many gifts as we have got to a stage in life where there is little that we need/want, however as it was our anniversary I pushed the boat out and bought him a quarter of coconut ice ? which he is already chomping into.

I have to admit I also bought myself a quarter of mint toffees, only to suck as I don’t want any fillings to come out.

What would you choose from the sweet shop, especially if I told you they were calorie free ?

annsixty Tue 24-Oct-17 07:16:35

Lemon drops which were so awful they were addictive. I would have to have another one to squirm and shudder all over again.
If it were chocolate it had to be Fry's Turkish Delight.

Liz46 Tue 24-Oct-17 07:36:00

Thorntons milk chocolate champagne truffles. One of my daughters can be relied on to buy a box every Christmas and birthday.

NannyJan53 Tue 24-Oct-17 07:50:07

Toblerone, and Walnut Whips!

Favourites since childhood.

DanniRae Tue 24-Oct-17 07:56:27

Sherbet fountains - sherbet flying saucers - Mint Aero - Cadbury's Fruit and Nut!!

Lindylou51 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:21:23

Sugared almonds. My lovely Mum always used to buy them for me at Christmas. Since she has been gone DD has carried on the tradition.

Auntieflo Tue 24-Oct-17 08:32:33

Clarnico's Peppermint Creams. Slightly crunchy outside, and softer mint inside. Closely followed by a Coffee Walnut Whip.

Bellanonna Tue 24-Oct-17 09:15:04

Ginger fudge. There is a very crumbly variety that is delicious

Christinefrance Tue 24-Oct-17 09:19:10

I loved sugared almonds too but sadly my teeth can't manage them now. Plain choc coffee creams for me now, I am lucky as a lot of people don't like them so save theirs for me.

grannyactivist Tue 24-Oct-17 09:42:39

Maple brazils - very difficult to get now except at Christmas.
Licorice comfits - the small ones.
Anything licorice really.
Treacle toffee, yum-yum.

Ah - I've recently given up sugar again, must stop coming back to this thread!

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:50:24

Oh what a decision, Sherbert Lemons v Chocolate Limes, no has to be the Sherbert Lemons although I know already my favourite (yes I admit I do have one) Grand Daughter will whip two out of the jar, sneakily slipping me one and ‘volunteering’ to put my paper in the bin for me ‘to save you getting up, GrandDad!”

Doncha just love ‘em?!

sue01 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:52:09

Thornton's Viennese Truffles... the way the shell collapses in your mouth is divine !

ChrisJMac Tue 24-Oct-17 09:55:54

Chocolate eclairs, Cadbury's fruit and nut. Always hear Frank Muir in my head when I see the ,alter on the shelves!

MinniesMum Tue 24-Oct-17 09:57:56

If only I could go back in time. There was a little shop in Hill Street, Stroud called Granny Ball's sweet shop. She made everything on the premises and I would love to have a bag full of those Raspberry drops - they were wonderful. I am severely asthmatic and many of the colourings used nowadays make me quite ill so sweets are a very rare treat. I make my own coconut ice, melt chocolate to cover them and thoroughly enjoy the results. Naturally I always get to lick the spoon and scrape the bowl too.
I can still remember peering through the kitchen door in the shop watching Granny Ball heaving huge lumps of warm candy around and slamming it down on the table. She had arms like hams - she must have been incredibly fit.

Nonnie Tue 24-Oct-17 10:00:09

Walnut whips but only the M & S ones as the other company are so unethical I boycott all their products and that includes L'Oreal and Body Shop at the moment although I suspect they will sell them off now the old French lady who owns the biggest share has died.

grandMattie Tue 24-Oct-17 10:08:03

real, proper soft nougat - failing that, Turron the hard sort!
Failing that, crystallised fruit, especially the little kumquats.

Teddy123 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:13:42

Chocolate covered marzipan or coconut ice 'flakes'. Yum yum

Kacee Tue 24-Oct-17 10:14:10

Tiffin

PamelaJ1 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:16:54

Coconut mushrooms, my husband buys them for me occasionally. I eat the white stalk first. I can make one last ages.

Lilyflower Tue 24-Oct-17 10:17:15

Peanut brittle or peanuts in chocolate. It's the combination of salty and sweet that's so irrisistible.

KatyK Tue 24-Oct-17 10:18:41

Coconut mushroom for me too, or Bounty bars, a bar of Dairy crunch or lovely juicy chocolate raisins.

W11girl Tue 24-Oct-17 10:19:13

Like you NANKATE, we don't need anything other than keeping healthy. However on this occasion I shall succumb to a quarter of sherbert pips and maybe some anniseed twists! Yum!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 24-Oct-17 10:20:45

Nannacat
Bovril crisps! my mouth waters at the thought.

sluttygran Tue 24-Oct-17 10:21:13

Liquorice Allsorts for me, please, and some lovely buttery fudge. I used lo love chocolate too, but can’t eat it any more ‘cos it seems to taste horribly different.

JaneD3 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:35:03

Grays herbal tablets or cough candy. Not the boiled sweet cough candy yuk but the stuff like mint cake. You don't need a cough to enjoy them!

Diddy1 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:42:39

Cough candy,Clarnico mint creams, och and Cadburys Twirls, anything liqourice.