Gransnet forums

Chat

'Women who swear are happier'.

(130 Posts)
Teetime Sun 29-Oct-17 09:44:09

In the Style supplement of the Sunday Times we are told of Dr Emma Bryne whose new book 'Swearing is Good for You:The amazing Science of Bad Language', who claims that swearing helps us cope with physical and emotional pain. This assertion is upheld by India Knight who says' Hurrah' for swearing . apparently we swear five times as much s we did 20 years ago. I realise we have had a thread on swearing before but now we have a 'scientist' telling us its good for us. I still swear words are ugly parts of the language and whilst I'm not above a bxxxcks when stuck in a sand bunker or lost my fifth ball in the river generally speaking I swear less now than I used to. DH hates it and doesn't swear. Dr Byrne further asserts that swearers tend to be highly literate, fluent and have large vocabularies. So my question is not do you swear but what do you think of this load of bxxxxcks? grin

Corncob Tue 31-Oct-17 14:54:32

I think the worst thing I say is oh shit when something goes wrong.It is very common now for the youngsters to use bad words and I hate to hear teenage girls swearing.So hope my grand daughters don't start but think their mum would put a stop to it.

Mania Wed 01-Nov-17 07:56:44

Like most people I have been known to swear but not often, last time it was when I accidentally broke one of my favourite cups sad

jacq10 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:45:18

I've never sworn in my life. My mum did now and again but never heard my Dad swear in front of me but he was a keen football fan and I'm sure he did when at a match. My husband doesn't in front of me or family and son has come round to watchaa match with a beer or two and are pretty loud but don't think there's swearing!

PS: I don't feel superior about this.

jacq10 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:49:58

Just realised I didn't answer the question! I think it may be helpful for some people to let off steam by swearing but not me.