Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Garage

(48 Posts)
grannysue05 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:04:55

I notice that GN's are starting to see frost on their cars early morning indicating that the cars are on their driveways.
Our two cars sit outside all year round in the cold/heat (well....), rain/snow/hail/frost. You name it.
Meanwhile our garage sits there all locked up and full of junk...sorry, tools.
Does ANYBODY use the garage for cars anymore?

henetha Sun 05-Nov-17 11:08:11

I do. My car lives in the garage every night regardless.
The main reason is that I hate it when cars won't start, and there is far more chance of this happening if the car has been outside in the cold all night. Jazzy is an old car and needs to be kept warm.

Mapleleaf Sun 05-Nov-17 11:42:06

Mine lives in the garage, too.

tessagee Sun 05-Nov-17 12:02:36

I don't have a car now but no doubt about it, keeping it in the garage when not in use really does prolong it's life and looks, especially if you live near the coast.

Maybe I should move into the garage myself to improve my working or non-working parts. Just asking?

Greyduster Sun 05-Nov-17 12:05:28

I’m afraid ours doesn’t. If you took a straw poll of all the houses on our road, I know of only one or two who keep a car in their garage. Our last garage was too small for all but the smallest car and then, if you got it in, you struggled to get out of the car! This one is full of “essential items” - many of which we seem to be looking after for other members of the family!

DanniRae Sun 05-Nov-17 12:20:24

No ours doesn't go in the garage. Mind you there is room for it but someone is a bit too lazy to bother! (and it's not me as I have chosen to not drive)

KatyK Sun 05-Nov-17 12:20:43

We haven't got a garaage smile

goldengirl Sun 05-Nov-17 12:28:14

Our garage is full of 'stuff' and needs a good clear out but DH recoils at the mention of a s-k-i-p. We used to put a car in it but no longer.

It seems to me that modern houses these days have garages but some of them are too small for todays size of car which rather defeats the object. Perhaps they should be advertised as additional storage space because I've looked round some newbuilds and there's nowhere to put a wardrobe unless you're a contortionist!

sunseeker Sun 05-Nov-17 12:33:23

I have a double garage but can only fit my very small car in (which I park in there every night) as it is full of my late DH's tools, half empty cans, lawn mower, hedge trimmer etc. and the pile of wood which he got in to keep me supplied for the log burner. Unfortunately most of the wood is too big and I can't find anyone to come and cut it up for me!

eazybee Sun 05-Nov-17 12:48:07

Yes I do. One of the first things I did when my husband went was to clear the garage of all his junk ie spare parts he couldn't be bothered to take to the tip.

rockgran Sun 05-Nov-17 12:58:18

We do - my husband recently invested in an automatic door which makes putting the car away much more fun.

SueDonim Sun 05-Nov-17 13:23:16

On our street of about a dozen houses only two people put their car in the garage. Both of them are elderly people, one of them 92yo and really oughtn't be driving now. When she goes out, it looks like a driverless car going down the street because her head barely comes up above the side window level!

Moocow Sun 05-Nov-17 13:25:04

Car parked in garage too. Wouldn't it mean fewer homes would be broken into for car keys? Car insurance is a bit cheaper for cars parked off the road and even more so if locked away too so have never understood locking away stuff in a garage that probably isn't touched til having a clear out.

kittylester Sun 05-Nov-17 13:25:14

Is that the building at the side of the house with big up and over doors? For keeping cars in? Who knew? shock

LadyGracie Sun 05-Nov-17 13:36:53

Ours is DH’s workshop, we kept the car in it when we first moved in 19 years ago but not for very long. My DH has every machine known to man and since he retired spends more time out there than in the house.

tanith Sun 05-Nov-17 15:13:25

No our car would hardly fit in the garage so it stays in the driveway.

Marydoll Sun 05-Nov-17 15:33:05

We used to use our garage, but it was always very tight getting either car in. DH's car is now too wide now to fit in it. He is a big man and I suspect he may find himself trapped in it, if he did manage to get it in.
All of my neighbours leave their cars in the driveway, as the garages are just too tight for space.
Anyway, ours is full of our children's stuff, such as tents, camping gear etc. After all they don't want to mess up their own homes.grin

grannyactivist Sun 05-Nov-17 15:36:27

In an area where most parking is 'on road' we are very lucky that our short row of Edwardian houses has a garage at the back of each house, accessed by a private lane. We also have an adjoining carport and an extra space in front of the garage for another car if needed. The car, however, is kept under the carport and the garage has been adapted as a (very well used) workshop and cycle storage area. I very rarely venture inside except occasionally to access a storage freezer that's in there. The Wonderful Man is very innovative and has built a windsurf/kayak store adjacent to the garage that also uses some garage space.

SueDonim Sun 05-Nov-17 16:41:51

My daughter had a quote formisnuarnxe that was cheaper for th car being on the drive than in the garage. They said it was because so many cars get damaged by mishaps when trying to get into said garage!

My son can't park in his garage because the car, just a regular modern five seater, doesn't fit down the driveway to the garage in the rear garden. His house was built 80 years ago and the garage was meant for motorcycles and sidecars!

SueDonim Sun 05-Nov-17 16:42:40

Dreadful typing. blush for insurance

bluebirdwsm Sun 05-Nov-17 17:35:16

My car is on the drive during summer months and put in the garage during really wet or cold weather in the winter. I keep informed about pending weather conditions so I hope not to get caught out.

I do not like de icing the windscreen or sopping wet condensation before I can drive off.

Luckily my garage is larger than normal so not much bother to put the car away. I can still use the rest of the garage easily [I do up furniture etc] and also I have a large stack of logs in there for the wood burner and need to get to them ok.

morethan2 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:40:58

Arrrhh don’t talk to me about garages. Our is full to the rafters with his stuff plus two motorcycles. We (he) are just about to pay around ten grand to enlarge it. Honestly my fear is that he will just put more junk on top of the junk he has. To be fair he does love messing about in there but still all that money on a garage. Two cars out in the cold daft isn’t it.

harrigran Sun 05-Nov-17 17:54:39

Don't be silly, you can't get a Chelsea tractor in a 1970 garage, ours houses the patio furniture.

Bambam Sun 05-Nov-17 18:03:14

SueDonim the driverless car going down the street made me laugh out loud. You see quite a few like that around here. We think of them as little Yoda's. Bless them!

Deedaa Sun 05-Nov-17 21:38:42

Although I only have quite a small car I don't think I'd be able to get in or out if I got it into the garage. At the moment our garage houses boxes of stuff that haven't been unpacked since we moved in 18 years ago, several boxes of books belonging to my aunt who died shortly after we moved, some of DH's tools (the rest are lying around the house!) and various odds and sods that DS hasn't got room for. Oh, and a rather nice trailer we seem to have inherited from a friend.