Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Garage

(49 Posts)
grannysue05 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:04:55

I notice that GN's are starting to see frost on their cars early morning indicating that the cars are on their driveways.
Our two cars sit outside all year round in the cold/heat (well....), rain/snow/hail/frost. You name it.
Meanwhile our garage sits there all locked up and full of junk...sorry, tools.
Does ANYBODY use the garage for cars anymore?

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Nov-17 22:25:23

Yes we do, most of the time and particularly in winter.
We live in a close of 30 houses and very many people have their double garages filled with everything but their cars.

paddyann Sun 05-Nov-17 22:39:15

we have a car in our garage ,we built a bigger garage to the side when we moved into this house when it was new so we could actually GET a car in.It doesn't house the car thats used daily though ,its my OH's track car which only comes out to play a few times a year .It also houses things in transit ,like furniture and work things that need a temporary home .Dont know where we'd put stuff if we didn't have it

callgirl1 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:57:58

We moved into this house 32 years ago. The garage was built onto the house by the previous owner, who only had a small car. None of ours would ever fit in there, so it`s always been a combination of utility room/ storage/ junk depository. My husband kept all his tools and his fishing tackle in there as well, and they`re all still there..

SueDonim Sun 05-Nov-17 23:02:03

Little Yodas! I'll think of that next time I see her, Bambam. grin

I must admit, we're always relieved when we see it's one of her grandsons driving and not her.

starbird Sun 05-Nov-17 23:13:07

My car goes in the garage every night, when I moved here a neighbour advised it because there had been a spate of car fires in the town, although not this area. It is wonderful in winter not having to scrape it. There are only 2 other people who keep their cars in their garages, mainly because they are too big. Mine is a Punto 54 reg and I actually turned down the gift of an 09 reg different make/model, from a relative because it would have been too tight a fit!

Katek Sun 05-Nov-17 23:32:13

Neither of ours go in the garage - they couidn't even if we wanted them to! It's full of dh's 'stuff' none of which can go out as it might come in useful one day. That's along with the 'stuff' in the workshop behind the summer house, the fenced section at the blind side of the house, a garden shed, two large plastic storage boxes, a small plastic garden shed and whatever he can secrete in the gap between the summer house and the fence. Oh..,.and he rents another garage for his classic car!

gillybob Mon 06-Nov-17 11:06:51

I no longer have a garage, but I really miss the one I had in the previous house. We mainly used it for storage but you could just about fit a car in, just as long as I kept my weight down.

I don't have a drive either as we live in a terrace which can be a pain and means everyone jostles for parking spaces.

We live close to the seaside and in the summer months (or like last night when there was a firework display) you are almost afraid to go out as someone is just waiting to jump in your space in order to avoid the car parking charges on the sea front. angry

Charleygirl Mon 06-Nov-17 11:18:38

Like KatyK I do not have a garage. I would love one because although we have allocated car park spaces, many people cannot read and express surprise when a number (house number) is pointed out to them.

Living in London I do not think that I could afford a house with a garage, I would not fill it with "stuff" even my loft is empty deliberately and I am attempting to get rid of the "stuff" indoors.

vampirequeen Mon 06-Nov-17 19:01:58

I'd love to have a garage or even a shed. Not to park a car in but as a potting shed/storage space.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:17:25

I venture into our garage as little as possible. However, it is DH's haven as he has a lot of junk a workbench in there. And a dartboard. Needless to say there is rarely a car in there.

Leticia Mon 06-Nov-17 19:27:43

Ours always goes in the garage- I am very thankful on frosty mornings.

Coolgran65 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:32:09

Both of our cars live in the driveway.

Our garage houses...
our old kitchen cupboards, floor and wall.
a work bench.
a table, two chairs, tv and halogen heater.
chest freezer
clothes air dryer
tumble dryer.
assorted cycles (3) and toys of all sorts belonging to dgc.
3 sets of golf clubs, two electric golf trolleys.
Many many boxes of stuff, and the box belonging to many purchases... just in case...
tops of all cupboards have stuff.
assorted buckets, basins, mops.
All large'ish kitchen equipment.
Overstock of tinned/dried groceries.
The beams have hooks for large pots, wok, etc.
leaf blower
garden equipment
etc
etc

This is just off the top of my head.

Gagagran Mon 06-Nov-17 20:21:45

Sounds very similar to ours Coolgran!

In addition to most of the stuff you have, we also have a huge crate of oak logs for the log burner, 5 bikes, a spare fridge used as a beer store, garden chairs, clothes rail full of cycling clothes (DH's), plus things I have asked DH to take to the tip on his next trip - but which seem to have taken root.

We put an old sheet over the car overnight when frost is forecast and surprisingly it does keep the windows frost free.

callgirl1 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:19:22

Around here, someone would pinch the sheet!

singingnutty Mon 06-Nov-17 21:22:53

We have a sailing dinghy in our garage. Plus many of the other things people have mentioned. We have not got a utility room so the washing machine and spin dryer are in there too. First noticeable frost this morning and it took me ten minutes to clear the ice off the car before I could set off to fetch DGS.

Barmyoldbat Tue 07-Nov-17 06:37:23

Reading all these posts I am glad we don't have a garage to collect stuff. We have two cars in the driveway and a shed for our bikes and garden stuff, mind you we are going to get a second shed as we seem to collect bikes. We are regulars at the local tip and charity shops!

watermeadow Wed 08-Nov-17 17:58:20

No car and I’ve never had a garage. My house is smaller than many garages. My whole terrace is smaller than many of the gargantuan lorries on our roads.

TerriBull Wed 08-Nov-17 18:15:46

Half glory hole, half utility room we have our washing machine and tumble dryer there plus an upright freezer. My husband keeps his golf clubs, golf shoes, plus diy tool box, assorted tins of paint. We also have patio furniture, parasol etc, garden tools plus my statue of St Francis inherited from my mum which she brought back from Assisi where else grin we bring him in once it gets cold, the barbcue. Plus a load of camping equipment one of my sons bought when he went to festivals such as Bestival. I asked him to take it with him when he moved out but apparently he doesn't have room hmm plus various chidrens' car seats and scooters any probably. That's probably most of it.

NotTooOld Wed 08-Nov-17 18:28:15

Like Jalima, I rarely go in ours. It's too depressing. Just full of stuff belonging to DH and he can never find anything as nothing has a 'home'. Cars live on the drive. I should add he also has two sheds in a similar condition.

Willow500 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:57:47

Our garage is just the same. It was half full of my work stuff - filing cabinets, used laptops, archived paperwork etc and my OH complained about it all the time saying he couldn't find anything for it. I then had to send it all to the new company a few weeks ago so we had a clear out and guess what - it's still full of stuff most of which is his grin He did carpet it out though (with offcuts) so it's quite palatial for said stuff. I did used to put my car in it years ago but stuff gradually encroached on the space. We are lucky though that the drive will hold 3 cars so we don't have to park on the road.

Newquay Wed 08-Nov-17 22:42:55

Agree most garages are too small for modern cars. DH can get our car into and out of garage but, sadly, I can't. Even DH hit the wall once and smashed a wing mirror so no way am I going to have a go.
Sadly DH was in and out of hospital all spring/summer so car stayed on drive all that time.
Only tonight DH asked if I needed the car this evening, said I didn't so car's in garage now all nice and cosy but it means I have to ask for the car to be got out in the morning,
When it was the last street party occasion it POURED with rain so, hurriedly, we put a table on the end wall, everyone added their food and drinks. We put chairs down each side and we all squashed in, great fun. Helped by a new neighbour who put up his enormous fishing umbrella in the drive-lol

Bathsheba Wed 08-Nov-17 23:15:21

Our garage is too difficult to get to - we have to drive up an access lane, then reverse into another access lane leading off on the side of the first lane. Reversing is essential because our garage is the last one on the lane so we can't drive past and reverse into it. And if we drive up the lane and into our garage, then we would have to reverse all the way back down and round the corner, which is even more difficult, if not impossible - my DH has been known to get his car stuck on the corner trying to reverse out!
Of course that is the only reason we don't put either of our cars in it, not because it's so full of tat that we can hardly move in it grin

HeyTheree Thu 31-Oct-19 14:27:04

We have a pickup truck and husband's dirt bike in our garage. Also we have a bunch of old useless junk we plan to get rid of every year but we never do. Mostly that's because I'm always mad at the husband because of his motorcycle. He rarely rides it but he still doesn't want to sell it. Well, at least I know what he wants on Christmas, I'm going to get him a pair of motorcycle riding glasses. What do you think?