Gransnet forums

Chat

What a lot of miserable old buggers some of you are!

(132 Posts)
Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 10:50:29

I’ll post then run for the hills ???

Just reading through threads this morning and left asking ‘is it me?’

An example, someone comes up with an idea they are really keen on and at least half the posters rain on their parade. Or someone is asking for advice and off some of us go just talking about ourselves and ignoring the OP’s request. Reminds me of those ‘friends’ (ex-friends) who monopolise the conversation.

Then there’s those who seem to think you and on the downward side of the hill after you hit 70 and are getting rid of ‘stuff’ from their lives, presumably in expectation of shuffling off this mortal coil in the not too distance future. Now I’m not a hoarder by any means and anything that wasn’t beautiful, useful or had sentimental value was ditched along the way even when I was young. So what is their point now?

Then there’s the old sparring partners who’ve been getting digs (and sometimes ‘slings and arrows’) at a particular poster who they fell out with in 1066 and seem to live for the chance to twist the knife.

And of course, extremely irritating, those who don’t read the thread and other posts and say exactly what I’ve just said as if they had just had the most amazing idea. And even more irritating those who comment on that post ‘that’s a great idea why didn’t someone else think if thst?’ (they did - me ?) making it a double whammy. Grrrr...

Then, there those with a listening ear, a bit of common sense and, above all, logic ....thank god.

Anya Sat 11-Nov-17 23:01:33

Go for it Ann ??

annsixty Sat 11-Nov-17 21:49:54

How miserable am I ?
I spent a couple of hours drinking cocktails in a bar in Manchester this week, so enjoyed it at my grand old age and am planning to go again as soon as I can.
I just have to save up the pension, arrange sitters for the old man and get a pass from the C and the GC.?

Anya Sat 11-Nov-17 20:50:36

I think my OP was quite clear.

Tegan2 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:46:34

Meaning me [?]....

Anya Sat 11-Nov-17 20:38:28

That’s exactly whist I meant Kitty but it does sort of prove my point about MOBs that you have to point that out to some posters.

lemongrove Sat 11-Nov-17 15:55:09

grin
Barry and Big Jim will both be looking forward to your visit!

Day6 Sat 11-Nov-17 14:20:41

PS: I am not really making a Christmas pudding, or mince pies, or Christmas cake. Sod that! M&S sell 'em.

I have found that bits of the Kalashnikov are good for stirring my G&T, and it makes a handy back scratcher too.

I keep my grenades in my knickers.

I am all tooled up, me. wink
I really ought to be down the Argy Bargy but I don't fancy my chances if the bouncers wanted to frisk me. Might be worth a cheap thrill though......

MontanaGal Fri 10-Nov-17 15:36:09

Nelliemoser, This is my favorite "Grouchy Old Woman"?

kittylester Fri 10-Nov-17 15:33:58

I don't think that is what prompted this thread, Tegan. I could be wrong - often am (to steal a phoenix phrase!)

The was I took the OP was that some of us have forgotten what being young meant, having fun, kicking over the traces, free thinking, looking forward etc. Sorry, Anya, if that's wrong.

Of course everyone is entitled to come here to air a grievance in safety or to want some 'sympathy'. GN is really good at that as the past couple of weeks have shown.

I think lots of us have benefitted from that in the past.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:28:47

#justsaying.2

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:28:09

Hell, wouldn't the debates on GN be sanitised and boring if we all agreed and thought the same way? grin although some may prefer it that way!

Tegan2 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:23:50

Is there anyone that hasn't, at one time or another, come on here to air a grievance/want a bit of sympathy? And, is it right that they should be made to feel wrong about doing so#justsaying....?

Serkeen Fri 10-Nov-17 10:24:48

yes true and I am one of those but what can u do life can be like that sometimes and its nice to be able to come to GN and air your sadness

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:47:48

Queueing shock

I don't queue I'll have you know; I expect VIP treatment even when wearing my trainers!

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:20:10

Jalima, you might get away with very nice trainers. It’s lost a bit of poshness. You don’t have to book for afternoon tea, just queue! QUEUEING IN THE PENN?

NanKate Thu 09-Nov-17 22:14:50

Tegan2 I am with you on cooking cba to do much other than simple fare. On the rare occasions I follow a recipe it never comes out well.

I have had my sister to stay with me for 5 days and I am on my knees with preparing what she would call a’proper meal’ every night. As soon as she has gone I will return to my slovenly ways ?

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:24:53

The kitchen - all steamed up!!

Tegan2 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:10:42

then steam for hours...me or the pudding?

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:08:28

You could make a Christmas pudding using my mum's recipe Tegan! - just throw it all in, stir and make a wish then steam for hours.

However, you can also buy a perfectly acceptable one from various supermarkets grin

Tegan2 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:04:17

Couldn't cook when I was young; can't cook now....

Chewbacca Thu 09-Nov-17 21:03:42

Well said Day6! We've earned our stripes to be ourselves and that includes grumpy. I could use a Kalashnikov some days too

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:02:30

No, not making a Christmas pudding nor any Christmas cakes.

Bah humbug to it all.

lemongrove Thu 09-Nov-17 20:49:27

Haha Day6 me too ( although I am not making a Christmas pudding and don’t own a Kalashnikov.) grin

Day6 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:32:15

I shall be serious.

I can be whatever I want to be and now in my 60s I feel inside like the woman I was in my 20s. We live, we experience things and we gain wisdom and learn lessons.

I am damned if I my time of life anyone is going to tell me how I 'should' be. I am more confident and honest these days (was a people-pleaser before I think) but now I feel I should just be me.

So I am. I like the authentic me that has emerged after wearing various 'hats' throughout life.

Sometimes I can be grumpy and argumentative and straightforward. It's not the norm. Usually I am fairly laid back and easy going, but please don't tell me that if my feathers are ruffled I cannot be grumpy or outspoken. It's a fairly new experience - being honest and not holding back - so I need to have a go. (I'd never go looking for an argument or set out to deliberately upset someone or forget tact and diplomacy but there are occasions where I don't want to hide my true feelings any more.)

We have worked hard for our right to be whatever we want to be, and may we have lots of years left in which to enjoy being true to ourselves. smile

I like the fact that we have different opinions and can be straightforward with each other. Hell, wouldn't the debates on GN be sanitised and boring if we all agreed and thought the same way?

Right I am just off to stir my Christmas pudding mix with my Kalashnikov. grin

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:05:58

Still one of the places to stay!

Presumably still no bare feet or jeans grin
Or trainers shock