Gransnet forums

Chat

I need a cheer up

(44 Posts)
Lisalou Wed 08-Nov-17 18:12:39

Dear Ladies,

I am just down. I live in Catalunya, Spain, the country is in terrible straits at present and it is all very worrying. I really don't even want to think about the political situation. The weather is getting cold (and I loath it when the days get dark) and to top it all, my business is struggling. I know (or hope) it will all sort itself out, but today i am a bit blue. Could somebody make me laugh, please? I can always count on you lot...oh, and sorry for being a moany minnie, but it is better to moan on here, than to moan to my family, I reckon

NotTooOld Wed 08-Nov-17 18:37:41

I love Spain and I'm sad about its recent problems, too, but there's not much that you as an individual can do about it, so no point worrying. It's got cold here in the UK the last couple of days so think of us shivering when it is probably a good few degrees warmer where you are. Does that cheer you up? Also it is only six weeks to the shortest day and after that the days will get longer? Feeling better? No? Well, perhaps you do need a funny joke to make you smile. How about Brexit? That's becoming a massive joke. I'm sure there'll be someone along in a minute to tell you a really funny joke. Sorry I'm not much help.

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 19:43:56

Right watch this, I can't do the link but look up Micky Flanagan on YouTube and the bit called ...the shits abroad...
The worst word is shit, if you don't like him or toilet humour then don't watch it but it will make you laugh but I watched it earlier and Spain is mentioned hence the connection. Worth a try!

Jane10 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:46:50

Micky Flanagan is so funny. Great idea Menopaws!
Sorry you're feeling blue Lisalou. Check out Micky. You won't regret it.

JackyB Wed 08-Nov-17 19:49:48

This is supposed to be the funniest bit of TV ever:

youtu.be/LFuYIi5-igc

enjoy!

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 19:51:29

Thanks for back up ladies I thought it might be disapproved of!

POGS Wed 08-Nov-17 20:26:15

Menopaws.

It may or may not work for Lisalou but it makes me laugh. grin

M0nica Wed 08-Nov-17 20:32:33

It could be worse, you could be living in the UK at the moment. Colder, darker and with the Brexit negotiations being conducted by a group incompetents that couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery and who are rapidly reducing the UK to a shambles that will soon have us all needing to use a Food Bank. Makes Catalunya's problems look simple.

CherryHatrick Wed 08-Nov-17 21:11:15

¡Anima, chica! This always makes me smile.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6SaqVQSw

I know things are very unsettled for us at the moment, but we just have to keep our heads down and let them get on with it. I don't think Puigdemont's jumping ship has helped his cause.

Lisalou Wed 08-Nov-17 22:03:03

Thanks gals, I can go to bed with a grin on my face - and thank you for the youtube videos - Micky Flanagan was new for me, will watch more, no doubt. I love only fools and horses, and the two ronnies with the four candles/fork 'andles is an old favourite.

Newquay Wed 08-Nov-17 22:16:29

Can you get "catch up" English telly? If you can find "gold" and "Dave" channels-they have some lovely "old" comedies that make me laugh out loud.

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 22:16:41

Mission accomplished, sleep well Lisa

JackyB Thu 09-Nov-17 06:50:18

Newquay - those of us who live abroad can't get catch up TV. But most series are uploaded to Youtube within hours of their being broadcast. I keep up with University Challenge, Have I got News for You and QI like that. And recently, I've been binge watching the Laurie and Fry "Jeeves and Wooster" programmes - all available on Youtube! Great escapism and very uplifting!

However, and this will interest Lisalou, all BBC radio IS available on the i-player. We can download or stream all the familiar Radio 4 comedies and other programmes. In fact, even Radio 1 podcasts are fun to listen to sometimes, because the music has been cut out.

If you want quirky music you can stream 6music. My absolute favourite is Cerys Matthews on a Sunday morning. She plays an eclectic mix of recordings she's found, even sometimes classical music, and lots of "world music". Won't make you laugh, but makes you feel good!

hildajenniJ Thu 09-Nov-17 11:14:40

Why don't you have a look on YouTube for Jeanne Robertson's videos. She's a really funny lady, guaranteed to make you laugh.

blueberry1 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:37:48

I am sorry your country is so unsettled at this time,it is very worrying.
If you are on Pinterest,type in "funny animals" and there will be lots to make you laugh.If not,try Youtube and look for Rob Beckett,he always makes me laugh!

floorflock Fri 10-Nov-17 10:48:26

A burglar crept into a dark house and as he crossed the room he heard a voice say, "JESUS IS WATCHING YOU!" He froze in his tracks and waited. He started walking again, and again the voice came "JESUS IS WATCHING YOU". Finally the burglar's eyes adjusted to the dark and with great relief he saw a parrot in a cage in the corner. "What's your name," he asked the parrot. "Bonzo" said the parrot. "Who gave you that stupid name" sneered the burglar. "The same guy who named the Rottweiller Jesus."

mags1234 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:53:31

This still makes me laugh so hope I smile. When my small granddaughter was not long started highland dancing lessons, she came in with a sad face. “ what’s wrong? “ “ I was learning the highland fling and I had one leg up in the air, then I accidentally put up the other leg too, so I fell on my bum . “

floorflock Fri 10-Nov-17 10:55:56

An 85-year-old man was requested by his doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.
The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow." The next day the
85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.
The doctor asked, what happened and the man explained.
"Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing. She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing. We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing."
The doctor was shocked! "You asked your neighbor?"
The old man replied, "Yep, none of us could get the jar open."

W11girl Fri 10-Nov-17 12:12:59

You are not on your own. My son is feeling down at the moment, the bottom has fallen out of his industry. I'm doing my best to cheer him up.....but we have to rise above all of these things....don't look back....look forward...think about what you can do next and not what has already happened. Its a challenge.....aim as high as you can!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:39:37

Lisalou
Look at the state of the middle east, brutal executions, and children being made orphans by the murderous regime. Put your self in the place of those who have lost everything and some their lives due to the recent hurricanesThe Grenfell Towers ?does that ring any bells.
What you are complaining about is nothing in comparison
Do you have good health?
If so then you are fortunate compared to thousands of others.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:48:11

JackyB. Presume those of you in far away climes ?grin with the exception of planet Mars, the moon and like, have heard of the internet.?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Nov-17 14:16:59

I love Spain and share your worries regarding the whole Catalan business, plus I imagine you must be worried about the effect Brexit will have on your living expenses if you stay either in Cataluña or anywhere else in Spain.

A struggling business is no fun either, so I do hope you soon find some improvement there.

At least spring and the warmer weather comes earlier in your part of the world than in UK, so perhaps that is something to look forward to.

Lilyflower Fri 10-Nov-17 14:19:46

When you are down the only way is up. Life comes in peaks and troughs and I am sure you will start to feel better soon. It is difficult to ignore political events when they are so raw and in your face as is the current crisis in Spain but it will be sorted, as will Brexit and as will everyhting.

I truly sympathise and it's of little help when people say, 'look at the worse off' as it dismisses your right to feel and you feel how you feel.

I hope all the sympathy and suggestions on this thread cheer you up. If everything alse fails, reread 'Pride and Prejudice'.

annifrance Fri 10-Nov-17 14:23:57

some weird English people locally have named their house 'Quatre Bougies' (Four Candles). It's hilarious explaining that one to the French, the look of complete bewilderment on their faces confirms that they think all English are stark staring bonkers.

annifrance Fri 10-Nov-17 14:26:34

Sarahelenwitney for heaven's sake stop being so mealy mouthed.