Gransnet forums

Chat

I need a cheer up

(45 Posts)
Lisalou Wed 08-Nov-17 18:12:39

Dear Ladies,

I am just down. I live in Catalunya, Spain, the country is in terrible straits at present and it is all very worrying. I really don't even want to think about the political situation. The weather is getting cold (and I loath it when the days get dark) and to top it all, my business is struggling. I know (or hope) it will all sort itself out, but today i am a bit blue. Could somebody make me laugh, please? I can always count on you lot...oh, and sorry for being a moany minnie, but it is better to moan on here, than to moan to my family, I reckon

petra Sun 12-Nov-17 13:08:17

LisaLou
A man is suing McDonalds because he is still depressed after eating a happy meal grin

Blinko Sat 11-Nov-17 18:34:14

Hope this link works: Ronnie Corbett and Harry Enfield 'My Blackberry's not working'.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

Hilarious!

JackyB Sat 11-Nov-17 11:54:22

I'm not bothered by Sara's comment, Anni because I have no idea what she was trying to say but if she meant that you can't get the internet abroad then how am I here?

The iplayer is blocked outside the UK for TV, but not for radio. That includes Catalunya and Germany, where I live. And probably Mars as well.

Sourcerer48 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:51:32

Watch Jeanne Robertson on UTube. Once you get past her southern accent, I guarantee she'll have you in stitches. A good antidote to feeling down every time.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs
Do hope things improve for you.

Caro1954 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:03:33

Petra grin

petra Fri 10-Nov-17 21:03:50

There you go Lisaloo do what Sarahellenwhitney advises: think about the problems in the world and that will pay your rent and put food on the table: simples.

LJP1 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:45:26

Try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7An38gu2g

And remember we are all think of you and hoping things seem better in the morning. smile Please let us know.

Fingers crossed!

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 16:56:56

Lisalou hope that your business recovers, what a worry.
Catalonia is going through a hard time at the moment.
A box set of Jeeves and Wooster sounds just the thing.smile

minxie Fri 10-Nov-17 16:14:26

Look in the mirror and see how many funny faces you can pull in 30 seconds ??

MontanaGal Fri 10-Nov-17 16:10:18

I even proof read this. "And all is well". Need more coffee this morning!!!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 16:10:14

inishowen Your granddaughter is a wise one. How did you follow that?

MontanaGal Fri 10-Nov-17 16:08:05

Lisalou, Sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Me too. Can't help it with the world in turmoil, each day brings more things to worry about. I hope your business gets better.
This quote helps me sometimes. "Today is the day we worried about yesterday, and is all is well.
Hugs, MG

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 16:04:22

Oh dear! a few rattled cages??

Tessa101 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:58:43

Made me giggle Floorflock. Lisalou tomorrow is another day sometimes things look better the day after, wish you well.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 15:58:17

annifrance There are options? don't read. [smile}.

MontanaGal Fri 10-Nov-17 15:55:52

Floor flock, ? Made me Laugh out Loud, my DH too!

Cagsy Fri 10-Nov-17 15:32:21

Whereabouts do you live Lisalou? My daughter and her family live in rural Catalunya, we were over visiting them last month and there were Catalan flags everywhere. It's hard coping with the dark nights isn't it? At least you have a lot of sunny days. I'm sorry about your business, we run our own family business and it can be such a worry at times. Sorry I'm rubbish with jokes but do laugh a lot, I think it's good for us isn't it? Singing too can lift your spirits, we've joined a community choir and enjoy both the singing and meeting people.
I do hope things pick up for you soon flowers

Busset135 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:09:52

Agree Anniefrance. If someone has a problem then I can never understand people pointing out that they are at least better off than **

inishowen Fri 10-Nov-17 14:47:48

My granddaughter made me laugh the other day. She was sniffing and I said "you've caught granddad's cold". She looked confused and said "no it's my own cold". There, made you smile!

annifrance Fri 10-Nov-17 14:26:34

Sarahelenwitney for heaven's sake stop being so mealy mouthed.

annifrance Fri 10-Nov-17 14:23:57

some weird English people locally have named their house 'Quatre Bougies' (Four Candles). It's hilarious explaining that one to the French, the look of complete bewilderment on their faces confirms that they think all English are stark staring bonkers.

Lilyflower Fri 10-Nov-17 14:19:46

When you are down the only way is up. Life comes in peaks and troughs and I am sure you will start to feel better soon. It is difficult to ignore political events when they are so raw and in your face as is the current crisis in Spain but it will be sorted, as will Brexit and as will everyhting.

I truly sympathise and it's of little help when people say, 'look at the worse off' as it dismisses your right to feel and you feel how you feel.

I hope all the sympathy and suggestions on this thread cheer you up. If everything alse fails, reread 'Pride and Prejudice'.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Nov-17 14:16:59

I love Spain and share your worries regarding the whole Catalan business, plus I imagine you must be worried about the effect Brexit will have on your living expenses if you stay either in Cataluña or anywhere else in Spain.

A struggling business is no fun either, so I do hope you soon find some improvement there.

At least spring and the warmer weather comes earlier in your part of the world than in UK, so perhaps that is something to look forward to.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:48:11

JackyB. Presume those of you in far away climes ?grin with the exception of planet Mars, the moon and like, have heard of the internet.?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:39:37

Lisalou
Look at the state of the middle east, brutal executions, and children being made orphans by the murderous regime. Put your self in the place of those who have lost everything and some their lives due to the recent hurricanesThe Grenfell Towers ?does that ring any bells.
What you are complaining about is nothing in comparison
Do you have good health?
If so then you are fortunate compared to thousands of others.