Gransnet forums

Chat

'Fashion' hates

(142 Posts)
sandelf Sat 11-Nov-17 17:35:32

How is it 90% of people have been suckered into wearing tight blue cotton leg coverings... Jeans, jeggings - whatever you call 'em - cold and unflattering on everybody. I really do not want to see the absolute outline of anyone in public. I wear windproof craghoppers most of the time when others would choose jeans. And leggings are next thing to underwear - OK at home with close family or in a gym. As for the leg coverings with deliberate rips - don't get me started.

Lazigirl Wed 06-Dec-17 19:43:48

Do you mean "frocks" Joky?

Lazigirl Wed 06-Dec-17 19:42:48

I agree about wide necks watermeadow. I really like Seasalt stuff but most of their jumpers and tops are wide neck styles which mean that you need to wear something underneath. It's quite chilly too. Most stores sell similar. I like leggings with baggy tops, but I also like walking trousers such as Rohan, or say Craghoppers, when out on the hills when practicality, not fashion is the priority.

JoKy Wed 06-Dec-17 19:04:12

I like wearing jeggings and leggings but don’t you think ladies we should start a new trend with “Dresses”. Do you remember what they are?,!!

varian Wed 06-Dec-17 15:37:27

Here's another 35 year old in ripped jeans. I just don't get it.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Dec-17 20:20:11

Watermelon I like v necks and can only find round necks they are everywhere don’t know how you can miss them

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:59:58

KatyK how 'stylish' I think a scarf looks before I leave the house (and it probably isn't) by the time I get to the shops or wherever it has worked its way round and is flapping around my ears, then I get so hot that it ends up in my pocket or bag.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:58:13

grin
ikwym Luckygirl

varian grin
I am sure they will now become very fashionable for 35+ somethings
not sure if the DD have any, DD1 probably not!

Luckygirl Sat 02-Dec-17 19:34:47

My pet hate is a hairstyle - sometimes known as an Essex Facelift. So many women scrag their hair back and it looks awful. First of all you have to be very beautiful indeed to get away with it; and secondly they do it to the point where their hair is being pulled out at the front and they are making themselves slowly bald. Crazy!

And it often goes with the slug eyebrows - yuk!

KatyK Sat 02-Dec-17 19:13:11

I often see women with scarves or pashmina type things stylishly draped or tied around their necks or shoulders. . Why is it then when I try to 'drape' anything around my neck or shoulders, I look like a dog's breakfast?

varian Sat 02-Dec-17 15:47:52

Oh dear!

glammanana Sat 02-Dec-17 14:48:36

Ripped jeans etc imo are really only suitable for youngsters under 18/20 keeping up with the trendy style of not being fussy about what they wear such as my DGD aged 15 her mum gave in to her as her friends all had them during the summer.
I can remember my son with one of his first pay checks buying a pair of jeans with freyed hemlines and when he came home on leave after I had washed them I trimmed all the hems and sewed them to a proper hem,he went mad at what I had done how was I to know they where the height of fashion and cost him over £70.

Lindylo Sat 02-Dec-17 09:56:52

Jeans with ripped knees. Why would you buy them?

shysal Sat 02-Dec-17 09:51:55

I have never worn scarves until recently. One day I saw a woman wearing an almost identical outfit to mine - Breton top and jeans - only the addition of a slim scarf made her look so much more stylish! I have since bought some scarves to wear with most of my tops and am pleased with the result! Only problem is I have to remove them for eating meals as they catch the gravy! smile

Bellanonna Sat 02-Dec-17 08:41:52

Leggings are made from a soft material and jeggings are more like jeans but tight around the ankles (cross between jeans and leggings)

NanKate Fri 01-Dec-17 21:51:25

What is the difference between leggings and jeggings ? Please.

NanKate Fri 01-Dec-17 21:48:37

Sleeves in sweaters that almost reach the wearer’s fingertips.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 16:02:26

Ooh, yes, cropped tops and shorts with Ugg boots. There won't be many of those at the Royal Wedding, probably. I don't like to see women walking around in wide trousers that drag on the floor, especially if the trouser bottoms are frayed and bits of fabric are hanging off.

annodomini Fri 01-Dec-17 15:57:24

I don't like the look of 'ankle-grazers' which, to my mind, make an outfit look unfinished. And I wouldn't want my ankles to be left feeling cold! I have only recently worked out how to arrange a scarf without making it look like a piece of chewed string, so I'm not giving them up any time soon! As for ripped jeans - I daren't tell my teenage GD what I think of them. And why do I see young (and maybe not so young) women wearing cropped tops, short shorts with Ugg boots? Usually with very white English legs.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:34:37

I have a lot more fashion 'likes' than 'hates'. I really like the trend for comfortable shoes, for example. I had to wait quite a while for a train recently and I noticed how few women now wear high heels. Most of my fellow passengers, young and old, were wearing trainers or trainer type shoes, flat boots or plimsoles (pumps). And a jolly good thing, too.

varian Fri 01-Dec-17 15:14:13

I think one of the most ridiculous fashions is the nonsense of ripped jeans which I first noticed in the 1980s. What's the point? Is it about folk who are not poor trying to look poor? Aparently these silly jeans are bought ready ripped and can be quite expensive.

I hate to say it but I think this fashion is likely to last a bit longer now that Meghan Markle has been spotted wearing them. You would think a 36 year old woman aspiring to be a role model would have more sense.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:09:24

Another one here for jeggings and boots. Leggings, too, but only under a dress or to put on in the evening if at home. I think women's clothes today are absolutely brilliant. When I think what my poor mother had to wear - corsets, directoire knickers, suspenders, stockings, costumes (remember those?), twin sets and so on. She changed as time went on, of course, but she never enjoyed the freedom to wear comfortable clothes like jeggings and leggings and the stretchy fabrics that we can buy (and cheaply) today.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:45:19

loopylou DH's theory is that designers use those extremely thin models and design clothes with them in mind because they are simply too lazy and/or incompetent to tailor clothes that fit normally shaped women properly.

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:25:43

Never thought i would but I bought my very first pair of jeggins/ leggings yesterday. Need to find skimming tops to cover the generously proportioned derierre, they are snug and comfy.

loopylou Fri 01-Dec-17 12:00:20

I do wonder how the fashion designers' minds work ?
Open shoulder woolly jumpers, three quarters sleeved coats, boots with the toes cut out, clothes sized for the seriously thin yet go up to plus sizes (how can one shape suit everyone?) and so on.
I'd love to find well designed clothes in good fabrics at a price I can afford and don't get me going on M&S! ??

Mapleleaf Wed 15-Nov-17 14:05:21

Sorry, but who has said that wearing scarves is a phase that's now passed? I frequently wear them and will continue to do so. They finish off an outfit and keep me warm. Still see lots of them in the shops, too!