Gransnet forums

Chat

'Fashion' hates

(141 Posts)
sandelf Sat 11-Nov-17 17:35:32

How is it 90% of people have been suckered into wearing tight blue cotton leg coverings... Jeans, jeggings - whatever you call 'em - cold and unflattering on everybody. I really do not want to see the absolute outline of anyone in public. I wear windproof craghoppers most of the time when others would choose jeans. And leggings are next thing to underwear - OK at home with close family or in a gym. As for the leg coverings with deliberate rips - don't get me started.

Blinko Sat 11-Nov-17 17:45:46

Dunno which I hate most, jeans with rips or jeans with rips that are too neat by far. What IS the point???

TerriBull Sat 11-Nov-17 17:51:10

The rips are not new, I remember going through a knee of a pair of jeans when they were last fashionable and wearing them for a while, I was of course the right age then. The ones around now are so threadbare, often very tight they look as if they cut into the skin they must be uncomfortable to wear. It's kind of ridiculous, paying for what essentially are old rags.

Nelliemoser Sat 11-Nov-17 18:58:56

Clothes with prints like this.

Https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=animal+fleeces&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&

Christinefrance Sat 11-Nov-17 19:07:10

White leggings on obese women showing all their cellulite etc.

M0nica Sat 11-Nov-17 19:22:47

Your entitled to your opinion sandelf. I will continue to wear stretchy comfortable thick jeggings with big sweaters, tunics or long shirts over them. They are deliciously warm, although none of mine are jeans lookalikes. I am slim with long legs and I think they look good on me (and others). What I would say is, they need to be good thick quality leggings, thin ones are definitely a no-no. I wear straight leg jeans with thick tights underneath, once again perfectly warm.

Craghoppers are not for me. I hate baggy shapeless clothes because, apart form anything else, my capacity to get entangled in flappy clothes is legendary and I would end up getting my one foot caught in the leg of the other trouser and falling over or the get the legs twisted round me when sitting, so that they gradually start restricting the circulation in my legs. No thanks.

Norah Sat 11-Nov-17 19:31:04

I wear jeans and leggings. Warm, washable, comfortable and flattering.

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Nov-17 20:15:33

I like my jeans and jeggings and (thick) leggings too. I've got reasonable legs still, so can't see why I'd want to cover them in baggy old trousers. confused

Marydoll Sat 11-Nov-17 20:18:50

As I'm small, baggy, shapeless clothes make me look like a wee round barrel. sad. I will stick to my slim leg jeans and trousers.

J52 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:19:28

I’m another for straight jeans and leggings.
However, I don’t care for the current fashion of holes cut at the shoulders. Not that I don’t like my shoulders or those of others, but the clothes themselves look like they need mending. They must be chilly to wear. grin

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:23:43

Oh! I thought it was me. I went to buy some shoes or boots today and every other woman in the shoe shop (and it was crowded!), many in their 50s or 60s, were wearing tight jeans and little boots. The other, younger, ones were wearing leggings and little boots.

I felt quite out of place in my straight-legged warm winter trousers!

Anya Sat 11-Nov-17 20:41:03

What planet are you on sandelf?

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:43:00

the same one as me grin

how do you manouevre a still-recovering ankle into those tight jeans?
I shall just have to be unfashionable.

Mind you, when we look at photos of ourselves from decades gone by, thinking we looked fashionable, they are quite hilarious!

Anniebach Sat 11-Nov-17 21:03:26

I don't mind what young people wear, I wore worse than I see now. Women of any age in jeans doesn't bother me. Suppose for me it's great aunt Jinnys advice yet again , older a woman gets the less flesh should be displayed

Willow500 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:08:42

I like my fur lined leggings and long jumpers in the winter - I couldn't possibly wear leggings and short jumpers as I like my tush blush covered. I do wear narrow leg jeans most of the time but mainly as they fit into my boots better.

petra Sat 11-Nov-17 21:39:01

I had to look up and see what a craghopper was grin
Hardly stylish, no thank you.

Alima Sat 11-Nov-17 22:23:03

Jeans, jeans, jeans. Have to stay indoors if it wasn’t for them.(Is it very windy where you live Sandelf?)

hildajenniJ Sat 11-Nov-17 22:42:36

I wear my jeggings with big jumpers or tunics. I occasionally wear leggings with my longer dress type tunics.
The thing I can't stand is the current fashion for cold shoulder articles. Why would you want bare shoulders? Brrr cold!

Welshwife Sat 11-Nov-17 22:46:51

Leggings ( or skinny - as Marks call them now) are MUCH warmer than normal trousers and fit inside boots better.

rafichagran Sat 11-Nov-17 22:52:45

I had to look up craghoppers too as I had never heard of them, can't say I like them, they seem shapeless.
I wear ripped jeans, and leggin's always with a long top,or jumper. I always feel good.

Bathsheba Sat 11-Nov-17 23:04:58

I agree with you there hildajenniJ, I simply do not understand the cold shoulder things. Well, all right, they're probably OK on a flimsy blouse as evening wear, but on a jumper? What the bejaysus is all that about? Ditto boots with cut out heels and open toes confused

Nelliemoser Sun 12-Nov-17 00:50:45

My daughter got me into wearing baggy trousers around the house as she found they are very much more comfortable than jeans.

My jeans are quite comfortable and fit well but a baggy pair of trousers are just more comfortable. I would not venture out to the shops in them though.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Nov-17 01:09:23

Another big hands up for jeggings, leggings and nice tight fitting jeans I still have good slim legs and my buns ok so they are perfect
No idea what craghoppers are so I ll go have a look right now.... nah not a chance they look mannish but whatever floats your boat if that’s what you like

suzied Sun 12-Nov-17 06:16:50

I have got some craghoppers for walking/ hiking in when it’s raining but other than that I wouldn’t wear them anywhere! Leggings and slim jeans / trousers every time. Lycra has made them so comfortable and with a long top or jumper dress look stylish, unlike the aforementioned walking trousers.

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Nov-17 06:28:23

I live in slim jeans and high heeled tan boots as they suit me .

Not keen on the ' beige polyester elasticised waist baggy trousers with frumpy flats and socks on show look ! '

No idea what crag hoppers are - just off to google ....