Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandparent care. . .

(115 Posts)
Newquay Wed 15-Nov-17 08:15:32

Just heard on news a study says GPs are over feeding GC with sweets and fatty foods, submit GC to passive smoking and lead sedentary lives which are all bad life influences on GC for life. However the GC benefit from close contact from someone who loves them-phew! I don't recognise myself and DH in that at all-do you?

Greenfinch Wed 15-Nov-17 08:21:08

What a ridiculous over generalisation!

baubles Wed 15-Nov-17 08:21:50

I’ve just listened to that report Newquay. My thoughts were the same as yours, that’s not us nor any grandparents I know. That was the headline grabber though wasn’t it?

PamelaJ1 Wed 15-Nov-17 08:22:53

Well after a walk on the beach the other weekend we boughtDGS an ice cream. So guilty as charged?

cornergran Wed 15-Nov-17 08:27:25

Gave ours a biscuit. shock. Probably should never be allowed to provide free child care again. hmm.

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Nov-17 08:30:06

IF I saw my grandchildren 24/7 then I might worry but I seem them every few weeks so IF on those occasions I do provide sweets then I don't worry in the least. They are as likely to choose fruit as sweets anyway.

We don't smoke and never have and when we have them we are always out and about so I say 'load of tosh' !!

merlotgran Wed 15-Nov-17 08:36:56

Why no mention of pocket money? That must surely be bad for them as well. hmm

Grandma70s Wed 15-Nov-17 08:55:38

I wouldn't dare give my grandchildren sweets. Son and DIL would never speak to me again.

NonnaW Wed 15-Nov-17 09:01:23

Never given DGS sweets, though we are guilty of taking him for “ coffee/ cake” after he has run around the park after the dogs. Mum knows and is fine with it. We don’t smoke and all other food is as left by his mum. Sedentary? See above re dogs, he often comes along for the afternoon dog run too. So not guilty either.

Granarchist Wed 15-Nov-17 09:24:10

For heaven's sake. Speaking as a Grandmother who does occasional care - I bike 20k at least twice a week, swim, ride, do Pilates and run a huge vegetable plot. I take the children swimming, all 6 grandchildren help in the garden, walk the dogs etc. I admit the occasional slice of cake (that they helped bake) does cross their lips and the eldest is allowed a once a fortnight treat of a bag of crisps when she I take her to her riding lesson after school. Lazy journalism - not lazy grandparents.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Nov-17 09:26:53

I was talking on the radio about this this morning. I was a bit flabbergasted by the report. I made my feelings very clear!!

Iam64 Wed 15-Nov-17 09:31:27

This news seems to fall into the endless game of setting one generation against another. I'm more indulgent with my grandchildren than I was with my own children. When they were small they had sweeties on Friday only, never when out at the shops. I'm guilty as charged of allowing the youngsters to chose one small bar of chocolate or small pack of sweeties if they've been round the supermarket with me and does as requested, stayed with me.
Ours come to the park for the dog walk, we go to those soft play activity centres, swimming etc and in the summer, they're out in the garden racing about all day. The odd biscuit at 11 am or 3 pm isn't going to destroy their otherwise healthy lifestyle is it.

eazybee Wed 15-Nov-17 09:40:37

Who has produced this report? I heard it mentioned on the radio this morning, but missed any further comments.

eazybee Wed 15-Nov-17 09:44:56

In answer to my own question:
Medical Research Council’s Public Health Science Unit at Glasgow University, based on 56 case studies.
Conclusive then.

hildajenniJ Wed 15-Nov-17 09:46:57

I always ask my DD if I can give my DGC treats. They have differing food intolerances and I have to check in case they are allergic to any ingredients. I wouldn't dare give GS3 sugary things. He has ADHD and sugar makes him even more hyper!

Eglantine21 Wed 15-Nov-17 09:50:27

56 grandparents in Glasgow constitutes a valid study and the conclusions drawn from it? Oh come on.

merlotgran Wed 15-Nov-17 09:52:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossomsmum Wed 15-Nov-17 10:09:20

One granddaughter lives with us plus her mum and more spend weekends with us. We take them swimming , walking the dogs , to national trust venues, beach museums etc so they are always active.
Fruit is always available for them to help themselves and yes I do bake cakes for the as they don't like shop bought ones . We very seldom buy sweets .
Ok there are times when they do get spoiled but that's part of the pleasure of being a grandparent .

allule Wed 15-Nov-17 10:12:49

I agree with Greenfinch...a ridiculous over generalisation. Some grandparents are more indulgent than parents, some stricter. Children are lucky if they have a range of adults to enrich their lives in different ways?

Elegran Wed 15-Nov-17 10:14:55

The sweets offered would be deep-fried Mars Bars then? What a load of wallies! 56 Glesca grannies answered with the traditional granny reply, "Yes, of course I give them sweets and crisps - sometimes!" and some Uni student concludes that every granny in the UK is stuffing her GC with pounds and pounds of poisons every day of the year. How do they think they could afford that on an old age pension?

jenwren Wed 15-Nov-17 10:18:32

It is tosh because you only have to look at the High sts which have become one long food chain. Miles and miles of food outlets. It appears to me that some of these young women spend thousands on new kitchens just for show, am I exaggerating? I went to a supermarket on a Sunday and was stunned to see it was crowded with young mums with children and yes afterwards going to the local carvery full of young families. The thought came to me 'when did the traditional Sunday lunch die out' and why arnt those kiddies in the park getting fresh air and exercise? and some professional says ' a few sweets given by the grandparents is building problems for the future! mmm

Cherrytree59 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:19:27

Well I bought my DGS 3 some chocolate buttons yesterday blush
we had been for a long walk in the forest where he had already consumed banana.
My other DGS takes after his mum and his 'treat' was some satsumas.

Thanks for sticking up for us Carismile

WendyBT Wed 15-Nov-17 10:21:30

I have to say I am much stricter with my GD than her parents are. As I don't eat biscuits or other sweet treats, the poor little girl doesn't get them either. I do offer her fruit.

muswellblue Wed 15-Nov-17 10:21:52

I am going to sound like a conspiracy theorist now - but I think it is all part of the twenty/thirty somethings' "blame everything on the baby-boomers" campaign

Elegran Wed 15-Nov-17 10:25:49

I am trying to find the official account of that study (always go the source and see what it REALLY says, then you can pick holes much more accurately) but all I can find are the shock-horror-grandparents-are-killing-our-children media reports. Does anyone have any link to the words from the horse's mouth?