Gransnet forums

Chat

Husbands

(72 Posts)
Saggi Wed 15-Nov-17 18:06:47

Is it just me?? I’ve just fed my husband gammon steak with white sauce ...runner beans and new potatoes, and he’s asked the same question he’s asked for 45 years ...” what was that meat?”.. ... when I say gammon..chicken...beef...pork...lamb...he says “ nice” I am not a fantastic cook, but I am a good one. My family always come to lunch on Sunday’s if free to do so...they clean their plates , know what they’ve eaten and look forward to pudding!! Why oh why can’t my husband tell one meat from another. My SIL says he does it for effect and to annoy me...which I find plausible,as he’s always trying to wind me up.Any suggestions what to do with him ??!

acanthus Fri 17-Nov-17 09:54:52

No Saggi it's not just you - I've got one of those at home, viz. "Beef? Oh I thought it was turkey....." My adult daughter who lives with us is just the same. I suppose it could be down to my cooking, but other family members seem to appreciate, and recognise, what they are eating. DH also seems to think that the addition of mayonnaise on anything is an improvement.....grin

Kathcan1 Fri 17-Nov-17 09:55:38

Get him to cook a meal, then question its content, he's had it too good for too long.

Veda Fri 17-Nov-17 09:56:25

Does DH mean dear heart? I hate abbreviations for this reason. Why can’t we write like we used to? As for the grammar, don’t let me go there like.

Rocknroll5me Fri 17-Nov-17 10:03:07

Absolutely go for quorn. Why creatures have to die for no real reason defeats me. And the more people demand meat without cruelty the bigger the market will become. There is a fantastic company called ‘the vegetarian butcher’ which do fantastic faux meats and some of their stuff is now being stocked by Waitrose.
Back to the other point of your question. It is just a habit my father used to be the same, mother a fantastic cook. I think he thought he knew he had to say something nice about the meal that she had laboured over....and weirdly it all seemed to be a comment about the meat which somehow reflected on what a good deal she had got off the butcher. Perhaps your husbands father used to do the same. No one should take meat for granted.

pollyperkins Fri 17-Nov-17 10:06:29

My husband wont eat quorn but when I used it in a spag bol once he never noticed. He does know which meat is which though.

sue421 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:15:17

Definitely serve up something else - ie Quorn - look in Freezer aisle - loads of veg as usual and gravy - then throw it over him!!! (not serious with that suggestion) BUT how have you kept your cool for so long? I need to know!

Coconut Fri 17-Nov-17 10:16:43

Next time he asks, say it’s camel !
Some men are weird tho, am not sure if I have posted this before ..... but my ex said he hated pizza, so when I made them for my kids, I rolled his up and said it was a vegetarian roll and he loved it !!
He also said he hated garlic. When my daughter made cakes, she used to get annoyed that my ex would take such big slices hardly leaving any for others. So one day she made a cake and said it had garlic in, he didn’t touch it !!

Saggi Fri 17-Nov-17 10:26:19

Thanks everybody for the input....I suppose I have indulged him over the cooking thing...he only ‘cooks’ if I’m laid -up poorly. I’m also gonna try the ‘zebra’ answer when he asks what meat it is! Vegetarian option....Luckygirl.... I’m gonna try that one!??

W11girl Fri 17-Nov-17 10:39:24

Next time he asks tell him its mouse! or whatever comes into your head ... If you're serving him chicken, when he asks tell him its gammon,he'll eventually get the message!

freyja Fri 17-Nov-17 10:41:50

My DH would rather eat junk food from the supermarkets then the fresh farm home cooked meals I provide. This started when the children left home, his comments were ' I will eat what I want'. That's okay if I don't have to cook or eat the rubbish as well. Anyway I have passed caring as he has become fussier then my GS who is now 13. My reply is 'this is what I have cooked if you don't like it then get your own and he does' However after a week he is back to eating wholesome home cooked food again and I give the chickens the food he's bought but not eaten. A waste I hear you say, I agree but this is a game he is playing to wind me up. Unfortunately for him I am an experienced mother of 3 and know who will win in the end.

Rosina Fri 17-Nov-17 10:42:29

Why not say something completely different, but plausible? After your delicious sounding gammon, if the usual question comes, just say 'beef'. We also love 'Quorn' - supermarket brand - and I use it to make lots of pasta dishes. Didn't tell OH, (also a big fusspot) and when he said he enjoyed it and I told him the content he commented how tasty it was and that the meal wasn't in the least bit 'greasy'.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 17-Nov-17 10:51:38

I blame their mother. Only ever having just the one husband so cannot compare.My DH was an only child
and I had to turn a deaf ear when my mil never ceased informing me what I should or should not give her datling.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 17-Nov-17 10:53:30

ie sorry1 'darling'

holly100 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:54:09

buy some kangaroo steaks - see what he says

palliser65 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:54:27

Reply with ssame thing night after night. Think he doesn't know how to say thank you that was delicious. It is staggering how many never know quite what to say.

knittingnainai Fri 17-Nov-17 10:54:41

I made a stew shortly after my ex and I were first married. When we were about halfway through the meal, he said he was enjoying it and asked what the meat was. I replied "rabbit" and he refused to eat any more.

I met and married my now husband ten years ago and I'm delighted to say that he knows what he's eating and often takes his turn at cooking as well. Having said that, if I ask him what he'd like for lunch, he'll always say "cheese and tomato sandwich" and always made them for his packed lunch before he retired!

allule Fri 17-Nov-17 10:59:47

I am sometimes irritated by my husband's lack of input for meal ideas, but when pushed, he'll come up with really boring suggestions.
He enjoys most things when presented with them, so I enjoy having the freedom to buy and cook the things I like.

BRedhead59 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:01:09

I'm quite a good cook too and I get "what's for gruel tonight?"
I ignore him he looks good on it!

Diddy1 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:22:31

Every morning when I get up, the meal for the evening is out of the freezer, so thats what we are getting today! I would love to discuss this every evening instead, and have a choice.

DanniRae Fri 17-Nov-17 11:24:29

My fussy husband would never eat anything with peppers in until our son made him a meal with them in and he ATE IT! I had plenty to say about that later when we were alone..............
Also we always used to have to have just cheese and tomato pizza because he didn't like any other type until we were visiting family and when asked if he liked pepperoni pizza he said "Oh yes". GRRRRR all those years of boring pizzas well you can guess what pizza we have now.

Menopaws Fri 17-Nov-17 11:27:57

I wish someone would cook for me and present it on a tray every evening, time no problem, content various, always nice and hot with accompaniments and served with a smile, having had to think, shop, buy with suitable veg etc etc

Mumsyface Fri 17-Nov-17 11:50:50

If that’s his worst character flaw be grateful! He’s not a mass murderer or serial rapist ?

lesley4357 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:07:08

Granddaughter differentiates only between 'white meat' or 'brown meat' when asked what she had for lunch at school!

Theoddbird Fri 17-Nov-17 12:15:02

If he doesn't like it just tell him to take over all the cooking etc as well. Goodness me, you sound brilliant and so organised. My freezer is so small as I live on a narrow boat... I definitely have freezer envy...hahaha

roger71 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:24:00

change him for me.