Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the first major news story that you can remember

(207 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Fri 24-Nov-17 16:42:42

This is something that was asked on another forum I am a member of, and it was interesting to see the different responses. Also shows that most of the forum members are a lot younger than me, because a lot of their answers were Hillsborough, Holly and Jessica, Princess of Wales dying, Jamie Bulger and Dunblane.

For me, it was Aberfan, and for my husband it was Torre Canyon.

Also interesting that no one really posted about any happy, or positive stories. Almost everyone's memories of first major news stories were sad ones.

So - what is your first memory of a major news story?

lizzypopbottle Fri 20-Nov-20 15:41:56

Sputnik 1957. I was five years old and, obviously, I knew of it from adults talking. I remember seeing footage of the news of JFK's assassination (1963) and I remember watching Winston Churchill's funeral procession in 1965. I was 11 and 13 by then though, so those news items made an impression on me without adult input.

watermeadow Fri 20-Nov-20 20:30:18

The launch of the first satellite, Russia’s Sputnik. We went out to spot it in the night sky. It seemed miraculous and all space travel since has left me cold. I was about 13 but we children knew nothing about the news normally. Like money, politics, sex, those subjects were not mentioned.

GagaJo Fri 20-Nov-20 21:10:15

The first I REALLY remember is the death of Elvis. Although I have a vague memory as a very young child of getting up in the middle of the night, and the TV glowing and my dad watching it. For years, as an adult, I thought I imaged that memory, then eventually put 2 & 2 together and realised I woke up while he was watching the moon landing on TV.

BlueSapphire Sat 21-Nov-20 09:47:02

Bbevan, the baby polar bear was Brumas.

Xander Sat 21-Nov-20 19:05:09

Assassination JFK

FoghornLeghorn Sat 21-Nov-20 19:11:54

The Cuban missile crisis in 1962. I was nine years old and terrified there was going to be a nuclear war.