Gransnet forums

Chat

Children and Christmas

(62 Posts)
Deedaa Sun 26-Nov-17 20:33:20

It must be time for a thread about what children say about Christmas.

GS2 in his first year at school is very excited because they are doing The Baby Jesus Play and he is going to be a king! He was explaining that Baby Jesus happened a very, very long time ago! Back in the 90s! grin

Christinefrance Sun 26-Nov-17 20:59:18

OMG how can anyone possibly remember that far back ?

BBbevan Sun 26-Nov-17 21:15:52

King Horrid killed the babies

ginny Sun 26-Nov-17 22:43:18

One of my Dds was very excited to be cast as the Vinegar Mary .
My friends DS was quite bothered that his teacher seemed to have forgotten his name . He couldn’t understand why during rehearsals she kept calling him Joseph when his name was Lewis.

Humbertbear Mon 27-Nov-17 07:52:43

My DD thought the teacher was talking about Jevus, Jovus and Mary Ann. That was after the Harvey’s Vestibule Service.

Arry Mon 27-Nov-17 10:24:56

My DGS announced that he was going to be a 'radiator' in the nativity play, he meant narrator

radicalnan Mon 27-Nov-17 10:28:20

I spent ages in the garden once trying to source items for the 'hardest vegetable' service until the penny dropped.....

blueberry1 Mon 27-Nov-17 10:32:00

No funny stories,just glad to hear that children are still doing Nativity plays at school!

Coco51 Mon 27-Nov-17 10:58:44

Oh we had such a tale last week! Apparantly the baby Jesa went to London with camels and guns (?). And there was only one baby Jesa not two babies like Mummy (DD) had.

Aepgirl Mon 27-Nov-17 11:06:36

My daughter desperately wanted to be 'The Gabriel'. Angel didn't seem to figure in who this 'person' was, but she just knew it was somebody important.

annodomini Mon 27-Nov-17 11:21:35

Years ago, DGD2 was the innkeeper's wife in the school nativity play. She reportedly spent her time on stage stroking the innkeeper's knee. As a teenager, she probably wouldn't want to be reminded of this episode. One of the DGSs was a sheep one year and a camel the next. Well, someone has to play the animal parts! Not so much fun for his mum who had to improvise costumes.

Musicelf Mon 27-Nov-17 11:31:19

My friend's little boy adlibbed madly as the innkeeper and suggested they try at the Premier Inn down the road.

pollyperkins Mon 27-Nov-17 11:55:51

One of the funniest things I saw in a school nativity was when they wer singing a song called 'Follow the star' and children holding large letters were supposed to go on stage to spell STAR. Unfortunately they led in the wrong way round to spell RATS! Follow the rats to Bethlehem !!!

mauraB Mon 27-Nov-17 11:56:26

As a child I fervently sang "We three kings are vory and tar"
I still think its a good description for the clever and bold!

AlexG Mon 27-Nov-17 12:34:21

Trying the Premier Inn down the road has made me laugh so much. How the story would have changed if they had taken his advice!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:39:03

This reminds me of a little story I heard - I don't know the outcome. One little boy was so miffed as not being given the part of Joseph, he was cast as the Innkeeper. When Joseph and Mary turned up and asked if there were any rooms, he replied, "Yes!"

annifrance Mon 27-Nov-17 12:48:31

DD was The Gabled Angel at playschool

Sheilasue Mon 27-Nov-17 13:04:11

Isn’t lovely when they come home with these lovely tales. So glad they are still doing nativity plays my two children were angels. My gd was Mary they chose her because she had just started at the school coming from another school and hadn’t had time to learn the lines. But she sung her heart out.

Icyalittle Mon 27-Nov-17 13:05:03

My DGS told us he can be in a nativity play next year, when he’s big and goes to the Brontosaurus school like his sister (we think he’s going to a Montessori one).

sluttygran Mon 27-Nov-17 13:07:46

Nearly forty years ago, DS played the inkeeper. When asked if there was room at the inn, he replied “No, but you’re welcome to come in for a drink!”
The headmistress was not amused - things were a bit starchier in those days, I suppose - and remarked that it just showed what kind of home he came from!

missdeke Mon 27-Nov-17 13:36:04

Just choked on my apple sluttygran, still can't stop laughing.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:45:25

I was putting up a little nativity scene with a class of eleven year olds whom I taught RI. The angel was carrying a banner with "Gloria in excelsis deo" on it. One boy, actually the only Muslim in the class, who was happily helping with the project, asked me, "excuse me, is the angel in the Christian tradition who brings good news called Gloria?

Since them any angel in our own nativity scene at home is called the angel Gloria.

I explained to the whole class that Gloria in excelsis deo is Latin for Glory to God in the Highest and is part of what the angel said to the shepherds, and that no, the angel bringing good news in the Christian tradition is the same one as the one who spoke to Muhammed. We just call the angel Gabriel instead of Jibril.

My grandmother's uncle, who was a linguist maintained he had on one occasion heard a small child start his prayers with "Our Father which art in Heaven, Harold be thy Name"

I hasten to assure you that we have never followed that particular child's example.

But I do remember the naughty version we sang of the chorus to the carol "The Angel Gabriel by God was sent"
it should be "Most highly favoured Lady, O Gloria" we however, when we were old enough to know better, deliberately sang "Most highly flavoured gravy - ah bristo!" or was it bisto - anyone remember the add?

Anniebach Mon 27-Nov-17 13:50:43

One year my elder daughter was one of the company of Angels, they stood on a bench at the back of the stage, time for them to get off the bench and leave the stage, one little angel was waving to her parents and missed her cue, my little angel gave her a push which resulted in several little angels falling off the bench

NannaM Mon 27-Nov-17 13:50:44

Kids were called up on stage at the Christmas Panto. Because my sister was only three, she was asked a nursery rhyme question - "What did Mary have?" Her reply - "Jesus"

Luckygirl Mon 27-Nov-17 14:06:48

I may have posted this last year - I overheard one of my little DDs singing Away in a manger, and on careful listening heard: "A Wayne in a manger, be grateful in bed!"