Gransnet forums

Chat

How many do you really need?

(103 Posts)
mrsp Wed 29-Nov-17 09:37:38

I was having dinner with a friend yesterday and in the course of a conversation about clothes she mentioned she had 12 coats. I was quite shocked. That seems an awful lot to me - or maybe I am just miserly when it comes to coats and jackets.

I have 5. A 'good' woollen one. A padded everyday winter one. A waterproof for walking and other outdoor activities. A lightweight spring/autumn jacket and a denim jacket. That seems like plenty to me!

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:16:22

Shysal my only fear would be that the embroidery would be dating and all the colours would limit the wearability. But I do like the style of the coat.

I have I think a lot of coats, jackets wraps. All of them bargains.
My good coat i.e. funerals etc is a knee length Jaegar fine grey wool which cost £39 in TK Maxx.
I have a hooded puffy lightweight knee length for the cold and the wind which was £25 in a sale.
A silk/wool mix long jacket from M & S Outlet reduced to £25 from £210.
A pink/grey tweed knee length coat from M & S Outlet that cost £25 from £140.
2 casual zippy jackets that cost about £40 each in Debenhams.
4 poncho wrap styles in various colours that get worn constantly.
A black/white wool knit checkered coat hip length from TK Maxx that cost £40.
A white Tresspass fully waterproof sealed seams and padded lining that I paid £70 in Outlet, my go to in the worst of weather.
A lightweight Regatta fully waterproof that rolls up into my bag and always goes on holiday with me.
Oh... and an old Dash green 'Barbour look alike' that gets trailed out every so often.

They all get worn. And my coats last me for years.

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:19:00

Oh, I forgot I have a black ankle length Austin Reid coat in the attic which I loved but sadly is now too small. It was £99 in the Austin Reid Outlet and my dh bought me it for Xmas about 10 years ago. It hasn't even dated (even though I have).

Greyduster Wed 29-Nov-17 15:32:17

I pulled my only proper full length coat out of the wardrobe a few weeks ago, tried it on, decided ‘no’ and put it back again. I like it - it’s black and white tweed with a black velvet collar -but it’s a bit too formal for every day wear. I have a cashmere and wool reefer car coat which is my go to, a short padded jacket, a down knee length coat, a couple of smart jackets, a navy blazer which I love, and a lot of walking and fishing jackets, which are not permitted to live in the house!

Auntieflo Wed 29-Nov-17 15:45:44

Well done Shysal for clicking the buy now button. Hope you like it and it fits, when it arrives. I am going to pick up a coat tomorrow, navy blue Phase Eight, ordered Monday. I have my Christmas coat, red, Planet, that I love. An anorak, blue, from well before I retired 14 years ago, and I don't think it's going to give up the ghost any time soon. A beige padded jacket, anytime wear, a black, long line jacket, spring weight, and a grey, pinky check wool, Windsmoor, coat with black collar, that I have only worn twice, but can't bring myself to part with. Oh and a green mac type jacket. I think that's all.

Pittcity Wed 29-Nov-17 15:48:14

Yes, I have a "good" black coat and a smart bright green one. The others are more practical with varying degrees of smartness, warmth, waterproofness etc. 6 in all and a couple of summer jackets.

tidyskatemum Wed 29-Nov-17 15:48:31

It was always a standing joke with my kids about "Grandma's coats of many colours" She had at least 20, all made from microfibre material and roughly the same style with a hood. I have 2 - a smart winter one and a Gore-Tex waterproof, and a couple of jackets which I find is plenty for me.

annodomini Wed 29-Nov-17 16:17:26

I'm living in my Landsend 'bargain' padded knee length coat with hood at the moment. Not glamorous but it serves its purpose. Don't remember when I last had a full length coat! For spring and autumn (and often in summer) I have a navy Regatta quilted jacket which I've washed in waterproofing solution. I also have a Jaeger faux shearling black coat which is too big for me now and I really ought to put it on Ebay, but it's so warm that if this cold weather continues I might put on several sweaters to fill it out!

lemongrove Wed 29-Nov-17 17:38:27

Nice coat shysal hope it fits you.

I have only one full length coat, and hardly ever wear it, mainly because it feels heavy.
I like three quarter coats best and have quite a few of these, as they don’t seem to date and go with everything.
Several jackets, and about three fleeces I think.

lemongrove Wed 29-Nov-17 17:39:02

The power of suggestion though....I now want a new one.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Nov-17 02:32:48

A waterproof for wet weather and walking, a good quality warm fleece for the cold and a three quarter length coat/waterproof with a fur hood that hardly gets worn. I just love wraps and tend to wear my fleece with my wool wrap that I have jazzed up a bit worn over the top. This is often topped off with a beanie. Love jackets but just never get around to wearing them so I don’t buy them anymore.

Teetime Thu 30-Nov-17 03:52:17

2 black coats ( one old JL one newer Hobbs) mother said always have a good black coat in your wardrobe.
1 navy padded Joules jacket
1 yellow hooded Joules jacket
1 Craghopper for walking
1 beautiful navy Laura Ashley coat that is too big for me but cant bear to part with it
1 velvet coat years old but great for a night out
1 navy moleskin coat (White Stuff)
I claret shorter Windsmoor wrap coat

oops 9! hadn't realised!!!

M0nica Thu 30-Nov-17 07:07:33

I have got a very nice dark grey Jacques Vert coat that I bought on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a new one, a thick padded coat (New Look), which I will definitely be wearing today and a red jacket (Kiabi, a French chain store), or do jackets not count? I also have a light summer jacket.

I also have a padded coat and summer jacket at our holiday home in France.

Apart from that I have a whole mullock of fleeces, anoraks and the like used for walking, gardening and other outside activities, some I have had for decades, others were given to me by organisations I have worked for.

And to think that for years I managed with two coats, one summer, one winter and an anorak.

Friday Thu 30-Nov-17 07:13:33

If you want it Shysal then go for it, There’s no such thing as ‘dated’ any more and I like the look of that coat. I bought a lovely purple velvet one from Jo Brown and the buttons are fine and nothing has fallen off it.

NfkDumpling Thu 30-Nov-17 07:22:43

Well, Sal, my DH has just bought me the Joe Brown parka for Christmas. Very similar embroidery. It was a bit of an impulse buy as we don't often shop together and he was stumped what to get me. Apart from the hood being HUGE - it'll act like a scarf - the fit is good and it's snuggly warm. No buttons, but I did tug at the toggles and they seem quite secure.

And no, I didn't need another coat. I have four winter ones, but that covers all occasions. One old one for tramping, one waterproof Seasalt for casual, a really smart dressy one and one black long one for funerals which I've had for ever and which luckily doesn't come out often. And now this one. No I didn't need it!

Friday Thu 30-Nov-17 07:34:01

I have to confess to a wardrobe full of coats too. Just bought myself another - a lovely thick, khaki green parka-type long jacket with a faux fur hood. . It’s very flattering, despite being so thick, very cosy and warm and I’ve had lots of ‘that’s a nice jacket’ from friends and family.

I haven’t told them I got it from Tesco!!

Luckygirl Thu 30-Nov-17 08:46:30

I have just pushed the boat out and bought myself a pale lilac anorak from Asda - dressed by "George"!

Now I am consumed with guilt! grin

MawBroon Thu 30-Nov-17 09:00:34

Just bought a bright red feather/down jacket by Centigrade - good timing I think!

harrigran Thu 30-Nov-17 09:01:06

I thought the number of coats mentioned by OP was quite large then I counted mine. Oh dear blush

shysal Thu 30-Nov-17 09:20:42

NFK, I have just had a look at the parka, I like it. It would probably have been more suitable for me as I am not sure about the side zip on the coat I ordered. Their clothes look very slim fitting, is that true in real life, because I am not slim? Their embroiderd and patchwork tops are my style (no beige for me) but I have never bought one.
I am now feeling the need for a padded coat!

NfkDumpling Thu 30-Nov-17 09:40:27

Well, I found this one in a local shop (checked on line to make sure the price was right). I’m size 18, 16/18 on a good day, but this one was a 16 so I wasn’t optomistic when I tried it on. It fitted! I can’t wear a big pully under it but it does feel quite warm - and the cut is slimming. Not marked as being waterproof either. It’s in its bag still - not allowed to have it before Christmas!

shysal Thu 30-Nov-17 09:48:16

I am usually a 16 but ordered an 18 because my arms are quite chunky muscular and I can't bear tight sleeves or shoulders, so we shall see!

Witzend Thu 30-Nov-17 10:08:12

A friend of ours - a male shopaholic and no longer with us - once asked Dh to go through all his coats and warm jackets with him, to see which could go to the charity shop.

There were over 40!! All good quality, and quite a few were unworn, labels still attached.
He still kept at least 12, though.
I don't think I need to add that he was a hoarder of all sorts.

Theoddbird Thu 30-Nov-17 10:43:40

I have loads of warm wraps plus a warm waterproof/windproof coat with hood for boat. I also have a lightweight waterproof/windproof jacket.

newnanny Thu 30-Nov-17 10:43:50

I have just counted and have 9 and 1 poncho which I love. Mostly wool smart in various lengths in black, navy, burgundy, emerald green, brown, camel and red, a rain pacmac and a thick passed jacket as well as several indoor suit jackets and wool indoor jackets. I think I tend to buy one most years but will coats never wear out or go out of trend. I bought some over 10 years ago and still wear now and then to match outfits.

Eglantine21 Thu 30-Nov-17 10:44:10

I really, really needed that yellow, wool swing coat that I bought last week. Really, really, really!