Gransnet forums

Chat

How many do you really need?

(102 Posts)
mrsp Wed 29-Nov-17 09:37:38

I was having dinner with a friend yesterday and in the course of a conversation about clothes she mentioned she had 12 coats. I was quite shocked. That seems an awful lot to me - or maybe I am just miserly when it comes to coats and jackets.

I have 5. A 'good' woollen one. A padded everyday winter one. A waterproof for walking and other outdoor activities. A lightweight spring/autumn jacket and a denim jacket. That seems like plenty to me!

suzied Wed 29-Nov-17 09:49:08

Well you don’t “ need” that many, but I usually buy a coat of some description every year, and if you are counting jackets.....I do have a wardrobe that is mainly coats and jackets, and hanging up in the utility room are the “ everyday” ones. And yes, I do wear most of them and those I don’t will head to the charity shop after a couple of years of non wearing.

Charleygirl Wed 29-Nov-17 09:54:57

I do not possess a coat, I only have two padded jackets and I thought that was one too much!

shysal Wed 29-Nov-17 09:55:40

I don't possess a proper coat. I have waterproofs and a gilet plus a few cheap Ebay jackets which I hardly wear. I didn't used to feel the cold but now that I have Polymyalgia I seem to be feeling a bit chilly and stiff on my early morning walks. I have just been looking at this hooded faux sheeskin Joe Brown coat and wondering whether to treat myself. Somebody please tell me that I should! smile

Anniebach Wed 29-Nov-17 09:57:35

Do not have a coat, prefer wraps, have three jackets, winter, spring/autumn and rain.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 10:06:43

Definitely, sal, you need that for the sake of your health! grin

I have always hated feeling stuffy in a coat or jackets but a few years ago I fell in love with a purple wool coat and seen to have caught the bug. In fact I bought a Joules quilted jacket a couple of weeks ago - well it was 20% off so I had too really! blush

silverlining48 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:07:38

In years gone by we only had one coat, most of us had just a school mackintosh with a hood which was worn on all occasions. Shoes were school shoes and a pair
of wellingtons and a pair of plimsoles.
In the 50’s/60’s/70’s clothes were expensive relative to income.
I recently came across an old womans own magazine from 1974 with an advert for a Dorothy perkins coat. The cost was £35 which was equivalent to over 3 weeks pay at that time. Easy to work out what that would equate to today. £1000.? More? Thing is you can still buy a coat for £35.

Grannyknot Wed 29-Nov-17 10:09:25

Shysal treat yourself if you must smile but I bet that embroidery will be "out" next year having been "in" this year ...

I have a three quarter "smart"coat, checked, goes with lots, a padded Barbour jacket, a woollen coat bought from TK Maxx years ago and I love it, it has a long scarf of the same fabric sewn on to the neck seam at the back (genius), and a very warm "sheepskin" lined coat from M&S. That's it ...

sunseeker Wed 29-Nov-17 10:13:06

I don't own a "proper" coat mainly jackets. I do have several but think long and hard before buying a new one. I was shopping with a friend recently and she was raving about a coat wondering if she should buy it - I had to point out that she had bought one exactly the same style and colour in the same shop earlier this year! She has so many coats she had forgotten!

silverlining48 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:13:53

And thats why we now have so many. Me included!

shysal Wed 29-Nov-17 10:13:58

I had better not start looking at Joules coats, Kitty, or I shall be tempted. I like their tops and have a few of the ones with curved hems which cover my bum nicely! I have just clicked on the 'Buy it now' button for the above coat!

merlotgran Wed 29-Nov-17 10:14:04

I don't wear anything coat length because I hate feeling bundled up when I'm driving. I always remove anything bulky before getting in the car and chuck it on the back seat even if it's snowing a blizzard.

I have a smartish padded jacket for winter, a lightweight one for spring/autumn, two or three gilets including a scruffy one for gardening and a Barbour jacket which is very old but still part of my life even though these days I only wear it for walking the dogs and if the weather's that bad they don't get walked!

Now we've downsized I don't have a lot of storage space for outdoor clothing so just stick to necessities.

Juggernaut Wed 29-Nov-17 10:22:52

shysal
Joe Browns designs are beautiful, but I've found they're not terribly well made.
Just so you're aware, you may have to resew buttons and trim etc!

shysal Wed 29-Nov-17 10:29:43

Thanks for the tip Juggernaut, I am not surprised that the quality is poor as the coat is not terribly expensive. I have ordered a size bigger than normal expecting them to skimp. I may end up returning it once seen in the flesh.

Willow500 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:54:44

I've got a lot of jackets padded and otherwise but only one full length coat with a big fur collar. I bought it many years ago from BHS in a size 10 and it's fitted me through many size changes up and down from 10-14 and always looks nice. Unfortunately it's black and I have white/silver cats so a devil to keep hair free hmm

HillyN Wed 29-Nov-17 13:12:22

I bought a duffle coat 7 years ago from Dorothy Perkins 'Tall' range and, apart from replacing the toggle cords, it is still going strong. I thought of buying a new coat this year, but I can't find anything I like with long enough sleeves. I also have a faux shearling jacket with a hood that I bought in a charity shop for a fiver (been great this autumn), a 3-in-1 waterproof jacket/fleece and an old black coat for funerals. The latter, unfortunately, gets more wear these days than it used to.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 13:20:25

I was just going to ask if all of us have a black coat in the wardrobe. I do and would love to wear it all the time but then I'd have to buy another 'good' black coat.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 13:23:07

I've got a couple of lovely warm Lands End Coats and keep getting their emails saying 'Save 10/20/30/40/50 or even 75%' and go to see if there is anything I fancy only to discover that their prices seem to be sky high now a days and even a large percentage off is loads of money. confused

glammanana Wed 29-Nov-17 13:39:29

I have quite a few coats and jackets,the jackets I wore for work teamed with black trousers to give a smart look,the jackets reange from a leather biker jacket which I wear often casually and a winter white down jacket from Landsend bought a few years ago in their sale for £69 and it is my favourite, as to coats I have a full length wax coat and two 3/4 length coats one wrap around from Next and a long all black wool from M&S bought yrs ago but never dates.What I have bought this year is a coatigan a mix between coat & cardigan its so comphy when driving as you don't feel bulked up and uncomfortable.

Charleygirl Wed 29-Nov-17 14:12:53

I looked at Joules prices on line after reading this and they were still expensive even in the sale. Good old Amazon had a great selection going from a tenner to £500 and many in between.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 14:20:38

Mine was £65, I think.

J52 Wed 29-Nov-17 14:38:44

I have several coats and jackets, for a variety of occasions. I do have difficulty parting with the older ones.
Every spring I decide to bin an old faux shearling coat that I seem to live in when it’s cold. But I never quite manage it.
This year I’ve treated myself to a replacement down filled coat, but strangely the old shearling is still hanging in the cupboard.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Nov-17 14:59:27

I haven t got a coat off joe brown Shysal but I ve had a few tops which are always commented on and I ve never had a problem with how they are made nothing has ever come off or come undone

BlueBelle Wed 29-Nov-17 15:06:09

About coats I have one coat,(Tesco ) one parka, (new look) and two lighter weight hoody jackets for rainy days I can’t remember where I got them from
Love that Joe Brown coat Shysal if you can afford it go for it it’s lovely

goldengirl Wed 29-Nov-17 15:13:28

I splashed out on a Boden coat and it's sooo warm and cosy. It's a mix between a duffle and a coat. I have a 'formal' coat from Lands End from many years back and a warm mac. If I were to go out someone fancy - a rarity these days - I have a faux fur jacket which is also great with jeans. Oh yes, I still have an anorak from my working days which has lasted and lasted and.......