Gransnet forums

Chat

Knickers or pants

(163 Posts)
Teetime Tue 05-Dec-17 10:55:35

Just come back from the hospital where they ask you to strip down to bra and pants. I don't wear pants I wear knickers. Apart from the gentlemen here do you wear pants or knickers.smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Dec-17 22:50:40

That reminds me of when I warned DH not to put "my new underwear" in the tumble drier when I'd treated myself to a delicate set. Sure enough the bra was draped over the radiator when I got home, but the knickers had been treated to a long hot tumble. He didn't realise the word underwear included knickers.

nanna123 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:49:14

Knickers remind me of PE at school in bottle green ones! Kids would be horrified these days if asked to do PE in their Knickers!!

JackyB Fri 08-Dec-17 11:26:03

Isn't it amazing which threads go on for so long. 7 pages on knickers already!

Bridgeit Fri 08-Dec-17 16:47:43

I had to think about it , but I'm definitely a knickers girl ,sometimes baggy,sometimes big, sometimes comfy, sometimes not, ! & ?& sometimes those gorgeous knickers just don't fit!!

AlieOxon Fri 08-Dec-17 17:00:22

I had a thought recently about knickers - did the silly idea to ride horses sideways come about because ladies didn't wear any several hundred years ago?

Grandma70s Fri 08-Dec-17 17:18:43

That’s a thought, AlieOxon, but I think it was more that women always wore long skirts which wouldn’t allow for riding astride. There’s a lot about the history of riding sidesaddle and associated clothing on Wikipedia.

M0nica Fri 08-Dec-17 17:31:56

plus, of course, riding astride would be considered most indelicate, with legs wide apart and, remember in previous centuries, especially 19th/early 20th, there were deep held beliefs (by male doctors, in particular) that if a woman got involved in anything from higher education to sport it could damage their reproductive ability. Riding astride would be an obvious no, no.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Dec-17 17:42:07

Wasn't it believed, (or maybe its true?) that horse riding could tear the hymen?

Bellanonna Fri 08-Dec-17 17:43:24

That sounds plausible MA

AlieOxon Fri 08-Dec-17 18:18:06

I actually think my mother had been told that, from her reaction when my sister fell on a garden roller (hope not TMI)

M0nica Fri 08-Dec-17 19:44:55

Ah, the obsession with proofs of virginity.

watermeadow Fri 08-Dec-17 20:27:37

Drawers were so called because they had a draw string through the top to tighten or loosen them, before elastic was invented.
I wasn’t allowed to wear navy school knickers next to my skin (perhaps the dye ran?) so always wore white ones underneath.