Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandchildren illness

(92 Posts)
carolclark Sat 09-Dec-17 09:38:10

Do you think it is unreasonable to refuse to look after grandchildren when they are ill, especially when all they really want isMummy.
I am paranoid about catching the illness from them, especially sickness bugs and am not happy being exposed. I love them to bits and really enjoy looking after them & spending time them but not always when they are ill. What are others thoughts?

MawBroon Mon 11-Dec-17 17:16:34

Oo-er humpty dumpty I assume I am still allowed to express an opinion? (Which I could just as easily expressed 5 or more years ago. )

MawBroon Mon 11-Dec-17 17:17:19

(PS “slack cutting” works both ways)

trisher Mon 11-Dec-17 18:52:08

The problem is SussexGirl60 that many employers will not allow time off to look after a sick child and parents have a choice between using their valuable holiday time or having their pay docked -very difficult if you are just making ends meet. (of course they can always lie about why they are off)

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Dec-17 19:47:26

maw we know you had a difficult time looking after paw but I feel you should cut people some slack.
I'm a bit confused here - do you mean that Maw thinks that everyone should be prepared to look after sick DGC or that people should not be expected to if they have compromised immune systems?

As someone with a compromised immune system I am a bit wary but would not refuse to look after them - I leave it up to the DC to judge whether or not the DGC are too sick and one of them needs to arrange time off/work from home or whatever which they have done before now.

blue25 Mon 11-Dec-17 21:33:52

Some very ignorant comments here in regard to phobias. Emetephobia can be a debilitating condition and stops some people from working, leaving the house or having any children. It really isn't a case of just thinking of others and getting on with it. If it were oh so simple, I think people would have already conquered it. The lack of empathy on here is staggering actually.

MawBroon Mon 11-Dec-17 21:51:39

This thread was not about emetophobia but looking after poorly grandchildren who might or might not have a sickness bug
#mountainsoutofmolehills

Willow500 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:53:44

Well one of my worst nightmares has just happened. DIL has gone down with a stomach bug just before they were due to fly so they've had to take them off the flight. Devastated isn't the word - we've no idea when they will be able to rebook - they have travel insurance but all the flights will be fully booked. So sad sad

Seaside22 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:28:26

Oh no ! So sorry Willow500 what a shame, were they coming to visit you for Christmas?

rockgran Wed 13-Dec-17 14:01:38

Oh poor you, Willow 500, a similar thing happened to my family just before my birthday. It was so disappointing -but we did meet up eventually. Hoping for a happy outcome for you all. flowers

Willow500 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:17:00

Thank you - they were coming from NZ so been nearly a year in the planning. We're just hoping that they can find another lot of flights before the holidays.

Bridgeit Wed 13-Dec-17 15:37:40

No I don't think it's being unreasonable, especially as all they want is their mum, why should you feel bad about it, sadly a lot of todays AC want it all, but they need to realise it isn't always possible, the children should come first & so what if they have to cancel a holiday, taking care of a poorly child should be their priority, not yours ?( emergencies excluded)

Seaside22 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:27:08

So sorry Willow500 such a long flight too, it wouldn't have been much fun travelling with a stomach bug.My worst nightmare too.Hope they can rearrange, and you can be together.Good luck

Willow500 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:11:30

Family are on route now thankfully but no stopover so can't imagine how they'll be when they finally get here after 22 hours plus another internal flight - just keeping everything crossed none of them go down with the bug on the way!

Seaside22 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:02:28

That's great news ! Have a lovely bug free Christmas.

NanKate Fri 15-Dec-17 11:11:48

Just had an awful night with our youngest GS 4 coughing, being sick, having a temperature. My DS, DH and I/me have just about coped. Also sorted other GS and got him to school in his Xmas Jumper.

Although we are worn out after 4 days of this we are happy we can help.

Their mother went Xmas shopping last night and stayed over with a friend. ?

watermeadow Fri 15-Dec-17 18:41:02

This reminds me of anguished threads on Mumsnet - the hell of Hand , Foot and Mouth, the hysteria over unvaccinated visitors, the anger at chicken pox contacts.
Do remember that a hundred years ago parents and grandparents had to cope with smallpox, diphtheria, TB and a host of other diseases which actually killed their children.