Gransnet forums

Chat

Heating allowance

(48 Posts)
Rosina Sun 10-Dec-17 17:38:42

Just been to a small social get together when the subject of the heating allowance came up. It was amazing - in the space of about two minutes and following several opinions being voiced it turned into almost a shouting match.
One of the party is comfortably off - huge house, lovely cars etc. and he was saying that he shouldn't be sent the heating allowance as people like him don't need it and it should be means tested. That really started the row; I suspect that he gives his allowance to charity as he is a generous man, but what do other Gransnetters think?

Surely the cost of administering a means test would far outweigh any saving, and people who feel they don't need it will give it to a deserving cause if they have that kind of nature. Those who don't need it but feel entitled would probably appeal the decision and cost even more in administration. Those of us who have worked all our lives and paid all contributions probably wouldn't get back everything we have paid in if we live to be 150, so are we depriving others ? I left there with my head reeling - what a lively afternoon!

Nonnie Mon 11-Dec-17 15:40:27

That opens another whole new discussion lizzypop. Is it cheaper to live in places where there is no mains gas? Is it more expensive because transport is less available? I suffer because I always seem to see the bigger picture which causes me great confusion!

Esspee Mon 11-Dec-17 16:34:42

Moira, you are fortunate. I regularly give stuff to charity and when asked to Gift Aid I explain what happened to me and the volunteers have no idea how this could happen. They simply parrot the message of how simple it all is, knowing nothing about the possible repercussions.

watermeadow Mon 11-Dec-17 17:46:21

The heat allowance is crucial to me but it should not be paid to people who are well-off.
The £10 is an insult, it would be so much better to give a useful amount to poor families at Christmas, say £100.
I expect those in government think that we little old ladies can buy a complete Christmas dinner for £10, after all, they believe that families on the breadline can wait five weeks for Universal Credit.
This waste of money is morally wrong while absolute poverty and homelessness are soaring.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 12-Dec-17 02:50:33

Good point about the tax relief and how much tax you pay as I have often wondered if my donations raise more than I pay. As for the WFA as others have said if you don’t need it give it to charity or family who do. Not a problem. Mine has already been spent on running water for a family out here but my £10 can go towards the reading glasses I need.

MawBroon Tue 12-Dec-17 07:25:38

Slight quandary here.
The “qualifying” week is earlier in the year isn’t it?
My “share” of the WFA arrived in my bank a/c about 10 days after paw died. Nothing was sent to the bank account in his name so presumably the notification via Tell Us Once had stopped that.
But does that mean that 1) I am entitled to the full £200 or that 2) his estate is due the other £100 or 3) that this household misses out on £100 altogether?
I tried ringing the DWP but might as well have been whistling in the wind.

MamaCaz Tue 12-Dec-17 07:53:07

Maw: If I were you, I would put your query to the DWP in writing. It will probably take them months to respond, but eventually they should. An email would be even better because of the 'paper trail' it leaves, but i'm not sure you can contact DWP that way.

Whether you get the full amount yourself this year or whether your husband's share should have been paid to his estate, I can't say (though I would think the latter as the qualifying week was 18th to 24th September), but like you, I would definitely expect one of the two to have happened.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Dec-17 07:53:35

I think you’re entitled to another £100 Maw. But getting it may be another matter!

The £10 rankles with me. It feels a bit of an insult. It’s worth a lot less now than when it was introduced so I would rather they increased the £100. At the moment I’m in the fortunate position that I don’t actually need the £100 so it does go to charity. My choice. I prefer that it’s given to all as one day there’s a good chance I will need it. And probably well before I’m eligible for means tested benefits.

Friday Tue 12-Dec-17 08:14:11

There’s the Big Give which ran until a week or so ago. This is a scheme whereby if you give to charity your donation is doubled.

And if you can Gift Aid it that also applies. If, for example you gave £100 of the WFA, then charity you chose would get £250 which is an amazing top up.

I did highlight this in a thread earlier this month, but there wasn’t much interest.

eGJ Tue 12-Dec-17 10:17:18

watermeadow my Co-op has a Christmas dinner for two for £10 this year available from today. Very good value and enough for a "little old lady" and a friend! Those with terminally ill husbands rely on that extra £200; it really helps

Blinko Tue 12-Dec-17 10:33:54

I agree that the admin involved for means testing would probably cost more than any potential savings to the exchequer. The WFA means a lot to some of us, but those who can do without it can always take the opportunity to spread a little seasonal cheer by donating to a good cause of their choice. I must admit, I can't see what there is to argue about. It's win, win, isn't it?

catta5 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:16:22

what about those of us who get just over pensioncredit and we are really struggling with council tax etc and if they means test us by using the Pension credit level no bus pass ,heating allowance i might as well just lie down and die

catta5 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:21:03

I know many on pc level and have 4/5 holidays a year if i did have it i would have £160 for 10 months to have a holiday

kittylester Tue 12-Dec-17 11:24:36

Just a reminder that anyone who has been diagnosed with a 'severe mental impairment' eg Alzheimer's etc can apply for 25% reduction in council tax. Some councils are unaware of this. The form needs to be signed by a doctor and they cannot charge for doing so.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Dec-17 11:30:35

Thanks Kitty. I think there's quite a few benefits and reductions available which just aren't publicised enough.

I don't like the idea of the fuel allowance being means tested. There's a very good chance the bar would be set too low and many would miss out as being not quite poor enough.

glammanana Tue 12-Dec-17 11:38:31

Please remember that people who claim DLA or similar and have an income of less than £16k (I think) can claim the warm home allowance direct from your energy Company I'm not sure what the amount is but think it is about £130 so along with the standard allowance of £100/200s it can make a huge difference to your winter bill.You can claim direct from your supplier and if all is in order they pay it direct into your fuel account,my neighbour has just has his paid for this year.

kittylester Tue 12-Dec-17 11:59:16

Worth also looking on the AgeUK website seeibg what benefits there are. You can also ask for a benefits check.

glammanana Tue 12-Dec-17 12:09:37

kitty well said Age UK so good for information as the benefit offices do not come forward with information for you,you need to find it yourself.

felice Tue 12-Dec-17 13:18:02

I was chatting to a friend on Sunday whose parents moved to live with them here 2 years ago.
They have been trying to stop the heating payment since then, even proving they are now resident in another country doesn't seem to be getting through.
They donate the money to their Church in the area they moved from. It all seems a bit crazy to me.

VenusDeVillendorf Tue 12-Dec-17 14:48:38

Of course it should be means tested. Being older doesn’t mean your entitled to anything you don’t need.

Well done to your friend in his big house, with his large income, but remember there are those in big houses living on low incomes, in one room every winter to save heating bills!

Give from your bounty, and if you don’t have bounty, don’t give. By bounty I mean time /money /advice /experience.

Not everything is or should be measured in pounds shillings and pence. Volunteering to do something for a cause you feel strongly about is a very valid way of contributing to society.

Even organizing a carol singing collection and shaking a bucket for a cause that attracts you is a wonderful way to give of your bounty!

Ask your local church /synagogue/mosque/temple what they’re collecting for this year (not just Christian festivals) and join in.

You’ll make friends, and do some good, I can assure you.

Galen Tue 12-Dec-17 15:20:55

§Maw as a widow myself, I get £200. So I should imagine you should get the same

GrandmaMoira Tue 12-Dec-17 16:18:32

The warm home scheme "core group" appears to be for people on benefits, including pension credit, and workers with an income under £16,100. It seems some suppliers offer to a "broader group" including pensioners with an income below £16,100. I'm with EDF and they do not offer it. British Gas do offer it. This may be a good reason to change supplier.

rockgran Tue 12-Dec-17 16:41:15

shockOur electricity packed in this morning - the heating allowance might pay for the call out charge and repairs.