Gransnet forums

Chat

OK, some might say that this should be under "Bereavement&qu ot; but I am so proud!

(55 Posts)
phoenix Tue 12-Dec-17 23:39:16

Today, 12th December 2008, my youngest soon took his own life at the age of 19.

Although I'm not a great Facebook user, ages ago I set up a separate folder for Facebook stuff.

I am so happy and proud to see that even after 9 years, his friends still think of him fondly, and post on a special page that they created after Facebook removed the "wall" that was created when he died, which his friends and I would like to see reinstated.angry

The posts today include the fact that the snow the other day reminded one friend of the time he and DS2 went sledging and blowing up snowmen with bangers ( hmm not sure I would have approved of that, ) and other "interesting" reminiscences!

I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that he still seems to be very fondly remembered by his peers, and for people of their age, 9 years after the event, must say something!

My darling boy, loved, missed and thought of every day.

Auntieflo Wed 13-Dec-17 08:31:36

Phoenix dear girl, what can I say? Your other GN friends have posted here, so much of what I would like to say. So, flowers and {{{hugs}}} to you .

TerriBull Wed 13-Dec-17 08:36:48

A very positive post about the loss of your dear son, You are very brave Phoenix flowers

Charleygirl Wed 13-Dec-17 08:41:09

9 years is a long time for his friends to remember him and still talk about him- he was and is an extra special fellow in your heart, of that I am aware.

It is very difficult for you and this time of year does not help at all, hugs from me also.

Mapleleaf Wed 13-Dec-17 08:56:08

Such a lovely thing, phoenix. You have every right to feel proud. Your son sounds to have been very special indeed.
flowers and hugs.

Eglantine21 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:19:47

Well your son (and you) has made me laugh this morning. Blowing up snowmen indeed. Just my kind of lad!
If he can create warm feelings like this in someone who never knew him it's no surprise his friends still remember him so fondly and want to share their memories of him with each other. flowers

Luckygirl Wed 13-Dec-17 09:26:47

How truly wonderful that is - you must be proud of what a memorable young man you brought up. And it is a joy to hear of facebook being put to such good use.

I remember a Mum whose teenage son died in a road accident and she said that his friends would toot their horns every time they drove by her house in memory of him - I thought that was lovely.

I hope that these messages on facebook bring you comfort. flowers

Tippy22 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:31:40

What a lovely thing for your sons friends to do. As everybody has said he was obviously so well loved. Be very proud. flowers

NonnaW Wed 13-Dec-17 09:33:45

How lovely that he is still so fondly remembered by his friends.

GrandmaMoira Wed 13-Dec-17 09:39:19

It's good that your son's friends remember him so well and you are not alone in your loss.

newnanny Wed 13-Dec-17 09:59:29

Your son must have been a very special person that so many of his friends not just remember him fondly but take time to post. That is a tribute to how you raised him. Remember the good times and how much he loved you.

glammanana Wed 13-Dec-17 10:25:03

What a lovely crowd of friends your boy mixed with blowing up snowmen is the type of thing my boys would do memories that you can keep stored away forever and feel proud.
Sending ((hugs))

Nonnie Wed 13-Dec-17 10:33:30

That's lovely. Of course I understand as you know because DS's friends said lovely things on his Fb page when he died in July. They asked us to keep his page open and one said he still wanted to talk to him about football. I am trying to prepare myself for their comments on Sunday as it will be the first birthday since he died.

It is clear from your post that you never get used to it. I hope one day to be able to carry on as well as you do. Maybe after the inquest it will be easier?

Bathsheba Wed 13-Dec-17 10:34:11

phoenix how lovely that your son is remembered with such fondness by his friends. And how lovely too that even after 9 years you are adding new memories to the story of his life, little anecdotes that you would never have known but for his loyal friends on Facebook. You are right to feel proud and I'm glad you didn't put this under 'bereavement', because this is, quite rightly, a joyful post.
(((((hugs))))) and flowers

silverlining48 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:25:50

phoenix thinking of you and your son today. its a long hard road to travel but glad it has helped by knowing in how much esteem and friendship your son was held. Sending love to you and to everyone in the same situation X

Blinko Wed 13-Dec-17 11:40:46

Good post, Phoenix. He must indeed have been someone special. flowers

Christinefrance Wed 13-Dec-17 11:46:01

Think its all been said now, what a great boy your son must have been, he was obviously so loved by his friends and family. Christmas can be difficult for all those who are grieving but having such happy memories must be a great comfort.
flowers and hugs Phoenix

Grannyknot Wed 13-Dec-17 13:08:06

Phoenix what a heartwarming post. "Sadness with a smile". flowers

Crafting Wed 13-Dec-17 13:19:28

phoenix what a lovely reminder of your son. He obviously has many people who still care.((hugs))

Crafting Wed 13-Dec-17 13:20:20

((Huggs)) for you too nonnie

Cherrytree59 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:29:52

A little candle of love that is still burning brightly nine years on.flowers

Willow500 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:14:04

It's so nice your son was thought of so fondly by all his friends that they're still posting to him. FB has some good qualities at times and this is one of them - I'm sure you must be very proud of him flowers

morethan2 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:39:37

Its wonderful that your son is so fondly remembered. I’m glad it’s such a comfort for you. Condolences on this very poignant day.

lemongrove Wed 13-Dec-17 21:19:23

The worst thing ( when somebody you love dies) afterwards, as time goes on, people cease to speak of them to you.Usually this is because nobody wants to upset you, but the actual upsetting thing can be that if they are not talked about and remembered, it is as if they have never lived.
flowers Phoenix your son was obviously a popular boy.

Deedaa Wed 13-Dec-17 21:39:03

The worst thing is when somebody dies and no one ever mentions them again. How lovely that your son is still loved and remembered by so many. I get the feeling that he packed a lot into his 19 years. flowers

merlotgran Wed 13-Dec-17 22:09:19

This thread has some lovely posts and there's really nothing I can add other than to say your son's friends must miss him terribly so no wonder you feel proud.