Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s in your kitchen drawer?

(57 Posts)
Daddima Thu 14-Dec-17 17:17:27

I might have asked this before, but I think there are things everyone has in their kitchen drawers. Here are some for starters;

Old batteries
Clothes pegs
Instruction booklets for items long gone.
Elastoplast
Takeaway menus
Paracetamol

And many more.......

GillT57 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:25:18

All of the above. When we moved a couple of years ago, the young man from the removal company just tipped the whole lot into a box and labelled it kitchen crap drawer. Most perceptive

callgirl1 Fri 15-Dec-17 17:42:32

Also forgot tin opener, pastry cutters and wee sample bottles (unused!), oh, and one of those gadgets that grips bottle and jar tops to open them.

callgirl1 Fri 15-Dec-17 17:43:50

I wish I had 15+ drawers, only 2 in my new kitchen, 3 in the old one.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:00:29

hildajenni I think mine are in the same order as yours - except that I have tinfoil, clingfilm etc in the bottom drawer.

Where does everyone else keep their tinfoil etc?

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:02:36

The crap drawer drawer for other useful items is in the utility room; batteries, gardening gloves (clean ones), some seeds, chargers, bags for food waste bin, candles etc etc

nanaK54 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:05:03

Have you seen Michael MacIntrye's 'Man Drawer' sketch?

If only I was 'techie' enough to link - I know it is on youtube
It is very funny grin

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:18:40

Here it is:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gATgW8xyxH8

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:23:00

Very funny nanaK grin grin grin

nanaK54 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:48:28

Thank you Jalima - i really must learn how to do that!

shysal Fri 15-Dec-17 21:16:23

'Man Drawer' is hilarious! grin

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Dec-17 22:02:34

When I designed the cupboard layout our tiny kitchen, I tried to maximise the space and managed to forget to include any drawers. tchblush DH fitted it and did not notice either. tchhmm We did find a narrow space where some tall plastic drawers (6 in total) could live which solved the problem and believe it or not, these are kept tidy. Before the revamp we had a kitchen drawer like everybody else! tchgrin

kittylester Fri 15-Dec-17 22:07:52

My foil is second drawer down along with cling film, greaseproof paper, baking parchment, roasting tin liners. 3 sharpies, 2 rolls of freezer stickers and some zip lock bags - which I hate!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Dec-17 23:02:01

My stuff on rolls is in two wooden magazine boxes suspended from top of a bottom cupboard, in what would be dead space. Like this photo, but hanging inside from the top of the cupboard not the door.

My kitchen and bathroom are tiny, so I got loads of ideas on making the most of the space from YouTube.

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Dec-17 23:14:16

Crumbs.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Dec-17 23:26:36

We have those too! tchgrin

CherryHatrick Sat 16-Dec-17 17:02:03

I am very jealous of those of you with modern kitchens; mine is the one that was installed when the house was built in 1973 and is covered in shiny black marble patterned Formica. The height of the worktops (grey genuine marble and a pig to keep respectable) and sink was designed to fit a hobbit, and when I stand in front of the sink I cannot touch the bottom of it without bending either back or knees.

Eglantine21 I am a Terry Pratchett fan and have made a supplication...

Smithy Clockwork dentures? Hmm
They came from a box of posh Christmas crackers and small children find them very amusing grin

Jalima1108 I keep my rolls in a wall mounted contrivance with built in teeth. I seem to be the only person who has the knack of making a clean partition, others tend to swear a lot.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:44:10

I swear a lot CherryHatrick, especially when it involves clingfilm. When I was in Australia I saw some clingfilm in a box with its own little cutting device, you just whizzed it across and it cut neatly and nicely. Probably I should have brought home a suitcase full.
My kitchen is old too but without anything posh like genuine marble.

Now, can I find a spare bit of wall for the clingfilm and tinfoil hmm

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:46:44

Now, I'm wondering if *Wilma's idea will work. I have spice racks on the inside of the tallest cupboard but there must be a space somewhere else.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:52:13

We're going to try it. I found a spare mesh metal magazine box and DH thought it was a brilliant idea! I did confess that I saw it on 'the internet' but he still thinks it is my brilliant idea.

Thanks Wilma - I may even have two!

CherryHatrick Sat 16-Dec-17 20:23:52

Jalima1108 where I live, marble isn't posh, it is what the soil lies on top of! The rock outcrops in my garden are pink Alicante marble. Lemon juice eats into my worktops, spill orange juice and it leaves a mark, even Coke and vinegar splashes leave tell tale signs. I've really stopped caring now, as whoever buys the house will have to do a complete reform anyway, so it would be a waste of money to replace it.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 17-Dec-17 01:02:02

Jalima we have two! tchgrin I've seen storage ideas that use the inside of cupboard doors, but I always wonder if they end up pulling the hinges out of line.

Witzend Sun 17-Dec-17 10:44:24

We have a bottom drawer for (among others) all those bits of things where you're not quite sure what they are, but you might find you need them one day.
Though I did sort it out not long ago and put all the small batteries and tiddly little screwdrivers into a tin labelled Batteries and Small Screwdrivers.
Felt quite smug recently when I needed a very small screwdriver for a set of battery Snowman lights - a fiver in John Lewis! . (The things you buy when you have Gdcs that you'd never think of buying otherwise!).

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:50:02

I have put the foil(s) and clinfilm in a box already, now DH is debating where to put it!

It's where to put slightly used oven gloves which really need a drawer of their own (or does everyone wash them after every use?).

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:51:24

We just have green clay underneath the few inches of topsoil CherryHatrick. I can't make a worktop out of that, tchsad although I could make some new crockery.

kittylester Sun 17-Dec-17 11:12:13

I was once shamed into washing my oven gloves by a teenage grand son, not known for noticing anything at all, said 'yuck, this is revolting!'

Lord knows what everyone else thought by that stage. tchblush