Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling guilty about an unnecessary and extravagant purchase

(88 Posts)
Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 19:59:11

My employer has given me a very nice, and not insubstantial, bonus for Christmas. I've given a small percentage to DS and family; the same amount between 2 charities and I was going to save all the rest "for a rainy day". But whilst I was out today I saw a beautiful bedding set that I just knew would look lovely in my bedroom. It was not cheap understatement. But I didn't really need another set of bedding because I have 2 perfectly good and lovely sets already. I had a good old argument with myself as to whether to get it or not and I wandered around the store for ages with it, unable to decide whether to buy it. In the end I did buy it and it does look lovely in my bedroom. But I didn't need it at all. What would you consider an extravagant number of bedding sets? Do you think that 3 sets is OTT? I'm aware that I'm trying to salve my conscience here blush

lemongrove Sun 17-Dec-17 21:45:59

You mean that time when your fist accidentally dislodged it?

Chewbacca Sun 17-Dec-17 21:48:36

That's the one lemon! tchgrin

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Dec-17 23:46:41

Bedding is not what I would indulge myself on. For me its a necessity, but I would not buy the really cheap stuff which tends to pill quite badly.
Garden plants are my extravagance.

Eloethan Mon 18-Dec-17 00:47:51

It's not as if you hogged the lot for yourself. You've given some to family and to charities. So why should you feel guilty?

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 18-Dec-17 02:40:40

Chewbaka it was so kind and thoughtful of you to share your bonus, but remember it was your bonus and it makes sense that you should feel some benefit from it too. If that feel comes from lying on it and lying in it, then that sounds just right to me! Enjoy! tchgrin

Barmeyoldbat Mon 18-Dec-17 06:33:30

I had nearly the same problem but it wAs a throw to go over the top of the bed. Didn’t need one, the bed gets warm enough without it but oh it was so beautiful and expensive....talking John Lewis! But in the end I bought it and I just love how it looks in the room. Even the oh likes it. I see no reason to feel guilty, I don’t smoke or drink much and my only vice on spending is coffe and a cake most days. Enjoy it.

W11girl Mon 18-Dec-17 08:20:02

I have 6 or 7 sets..bought over the years....they are all white ... I don't need them all do I!! I keep separate sets for visitors which are less frequent these days....I think its time to let go!

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:50:53

As with everything else, I can't throw away old duvets etc and have an airing cupboard full of them. Annoyingly, the one I do want for use when DGD comes to stay which was covered in little rabbits isn't with them. Typical!

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:44:04

Yes Jalima very altruistic, I expect you will be canonised any day now
I hope not, you have to be dead to be canonised shock
A friend was made a canon of the cathedral and said he was definitely not being canonised!

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:46:42

I'd like some new towels but we have an airing cupboard full of them, some not as good as they were and others are just the wrong colour!
I could take them all to the dogs' home, that would make me feel better about buying new ones.

mollie Mon 18-Dec-17 17:22:25

Back when I was a young stay at home mum I splashed out a lot of money to buy a food processor. I paid through a catalogue over so many weeks but nevertheless it was then a fortune. He wasn’t happy of course and I felt guilty about splurging out when money was so tight. I can still feel that guilt even now, nearly forty years later. And guess what, only gave up on that great little machine last year when the plastic bowl broke and couldn’t be replaced. Other than that it was fab and I miss it. Brilliant pastry and light as air cakes. Value for money without a doubt but I still felt the guilt.

Walles Thu 21-Dec-17 14:21:42

I believe. that gifts should be chosen from a wish list.