Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling guilty about an unnecessary and extravagant purchase

(87 Posts)
Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 19:59:11

My employer has given me a very nice, and not insubstantial, bonus for Christmas. I've given a small percentage to DS and family; the same amount between 2 charities and I was going to save all the rest "for a rainy day". But whilst I was out today I saw a beautiful bedding set that I just knew would look lovely in my bedroom. It was not cheap understatement. But I didn't really need another set of bedding because I have 2 perfectly good and lovely sets already. I had a good old argument with myself as to whether to get it or not and I wandered around the store for ages with it, unable to decide whether to buy it. In the end I did buy it and it does look lovely in my bedroom. But I didn't need it at all. What would you consider an extravagant number of bedding sets? Do you think that 3 sets is OTT? I'm aware that I'm trying to salve my conscience here blush

MissAdventure Sat 16-Dec-17 20:01:43

3 sets sounds reasonable. One on, one off, and one in the wash. Anyway, it was your bonus, so why not be extravagant with it? Enjoy.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:03:04

Not at all. I should really throw some out because I am fed up with them and they don't seem to wear out.

Three sets is just right - one on the bed, one in the wash and one in the airing cupboard!

We have about five but only use two in the main.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:04:03

It was for the house, not you grin

I bought myself some expensive perfume recently and still feel guilty, but I do like it.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:04:59

ps It's your bonus, you earned it - and you gave some away!

Very generous, you deserve a treat.

annsixty Sat 16-Dec-17 20:06:48

I have 2 identical sets which are several years old, but I totally support your decision.
I had a very deprived childhood and can't get over the mindset that I cannot do it, oh how I wish I could get over the guilt and spend what I would like.
I can do it with food but not with household things.
Gone off topic ,sorry, just touched a nerve.

harrigran Sat 16-Dec-17 20:08:37

You can never have enough nice bedding, I have about ten sets but share them round three bedrooms. You earned the bonus, enjoy your treat

Ailsa43 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:13:39

annsixty wow, you're exactly the same as me and for exactly the same reason, I've never heard anyone say that before, I'm so glad I'm not alone.

Chewbacca, oh no you did the absolute right thing. The bonus was unexpected you shared some, you have nothing to feel guilty about. The bonus was your gift to do as you please, and you bought what would make you happy, end of story. I hope every time you look at it on your bed you remember it was a gift given to you for working so hard.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 20:14:57

annsixty you've hit the nail right on the head! Similarly deprived childhood with absolutely no luxuries (and often necessities too) and spending money on myself just doesn't "feel right" somehow. If it was for the GC or family, I'd spend it in a heartbeat but buying something that I want, but don't need, has made me feel quite awkward with myself.
I keep nipping upstairs just to catch sight of it on the bed! smile

SpringyChicken Sat 16-Dec-17 20:17:11

Three sets isn't extravagant at all and why shouldn't you have it? Don't give it another thought.

Deedaa Sat 16-Dec-17 20:18:06

Absolutely the right thing Chewbacca Think how much time you spend in bed, you'll be enjoying it for ages. After all it would only take a spilled cup of coffee or a dropped bottle of nail varnish and one of your other sets would be ruined. Always as well to have something in reserve.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:19:25

Last January I dithered and dithered about buying some bedding, very plain but excellent quality - in the end I bought it because it was in the sale and am so glad I did as it feels lovely.

However, I always resent paying full price for anything.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:19:46

ps we spend one third of our lives in bed

Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 20:27:38

True enough Jalima! I know I'll enjoy sleeping in it and, as you say, really good quality bedding does feel lovely. I've only ever had Sainsburys or M&S bedding in the past so this will have to "see me out"! grin

Alima Sat 16-Dec-17 20:41:00

Please don’t feel guilty, you earned it, enjoy! (Take a picture so you can gaze at it downstairs too!)

whitewave Sat 16-Dec-17 20:43:35

Sod it! Since when has 3 sets of bedding been considered extravagant ?

I always spend the most I can afford on my bedding for two main reasons. First because I like it and second because it is probably more economic in the long run as it lasts for so long. I’ve had my very high thread count sheets for Yonkers and they aren’t remotely worn and feel splendid the same with the duvet etc.

Lazigirl Sat 16-Dec-17 20:44:30

Bedding is not an indulgence it's a necessity in my book. Spending money on clothes on a whim which don't really suit you and are only worn once (if at all), or kitchen gadgets from Lakeland which look sooo seductive in the shop but gather dust in the cupboard, beautiful shoes which you don't need and hurt like hell - to name just a few extravagances. Bedding definitely isn't. Expensive perfume is my worthwhile extravagance.

cornergran Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:31

Good for you chewbacca. Three sets of bedding sounds just right. Must be, it’s what we have for our bed smile.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Dec-17 21:09:33

A total disgrace! 3 sets of bedding! - heaven forfend! I am shocked to my core! shock grin

Tegan2 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:18:02

There's nothing nicer than a beautifully made up bed with lovely bedlinen. The only problem might be not wanting to use the other bedding you have.

paddyann Sat 16-Dec-17 21:27:37

I love good bedding ,I've no idea how many sets I have ,but I have several sets for each bed in the colour scheme of the room they're for ....same with towels ,each room has its own colour.I dont spend money on jewellery or booze or pampering myself.Its my choice how I spend my cash

annodomini Sat 16-Dec-17 21:31:23

Saw some lovely sets in Home Sense today at very reasonable prices, but had more than enough to spend my pension on - maybe in post-Christmas sales.

Elrel Sat 16-Dec-17 21:34:54

I always look at the Christmas bedding, especially for little single beds, then think 'Noooo!' and remove myself from temptation.
Does anyone have sets? I've seen some lovely designs!

lemongrove Sat 16-Dec-17 22:50:14

Chewy tchsmile anything that you really appreciate having is worth having.It seems to me you spent the money well, on family, on charities and on yourself, or at least for the house.
We have about six sets ( without checking can’t be exact) but only bought two sets in the last five years, the others are quite old, although I still like them.

lemongrove Sat 16-Dec-17 22:51:42

When you think how much time in our lives we spend in bed ( a lot) we should have nice bedding!