Gransnet forums

Chat

Most thoughtful or apt gift you received this Christmas

(65 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 28-Dec-17 10:06:46

I'm at a place where I don't want or need much so i know I can be difficult to buy for.

My most treasured gifts are usually homemade things from the grandchildren and I have many on my Christmas tree that bring back wonderful memories each year.

But this year my favourite gift from my family is a Grandparents photoshoot. I am the photographer in our family so hardly ever in the pictures , so they purchased a session for me, Grampy and all the little ones .

What a lovely thought and one which I am sure will produce more memories to treasure.

What was your favourite or most apt gift ( even something you bought for yourself ( something I do sometimes smile))

quizqueen Thu 28-Dec-17 13:01:03

There's only one style of bra I really like and feel comfortable in from M&S and it's very hard to find (not online anywhere ) and my younger daughter had gone round all the local M&S to find me one in the correct size. Also, I had asked for side plates with a delicate nature design on and the other daughter found a design by Mary Berry (she was scared I wouldn't like it as I'm very fussy). My granddaughter got me a coaster which says, 'Here's stands the cup of tea of the best nanny'.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 28-Dec-17 13:08:44

It sounds mundane but I got two pairs of knee high socks which I'd asked for (I own too many pairs of ankle socks which don't keep your legs warm) and they are very nice indeed.

GrandmasueUK Thu 28-Dec-17 13:13:57

My brother got me a signed photo of Davy Jones of the Monkees, which thrilled me as much as it would have done 50 years ago!

blueberry1 Thu 28-Dec-17 13:20:46

Have to say that nearly all my presents were thoughtfully chosen!

Cosafina Thu 28-Dec-17 13:44:13

A t-shirt with a word cloud of all the things I tend to say, from my team in Minsk who I haven’t seen for 6 months as I’m off sick - they really miss me blush

Nanannotgrandma Thu 28-Dec-17 13:46:15

My daughter made a hamper with a bottle of Guinness and a World’s Best Grandad T shirt for Dad/Grandad. A mug with ‘best Mums turn into the best Nanny’ on it and Fry’s Cream bars for Mum/Nanny and a bottle of wine to share , all in a lovely 4 section basket. So personal to us and so very thoughtful

blueskies Thu 28-Dec-17 13:53:15

Tickets for a Charles Aznavour concert.

kittylester Thu 28-Dec-17 13:53:44

We each had DNA testing kits from children too. Really excited to find out where both DH and I come from.

MillyNan Thu 28-Dec-17 14:03:13

We live an a village without street lights and hubby bought me a lovely pocket led torch with my name engraved on it so I can go to meetings (and the pub with him!) in safety. I strange thing to like the best but I’ve been struggling with a clunky not very bright one for a while.

JanaNana Thu 28-Dec-17 14:11:41

A beautiful family calendar that my eldest grandson had done for us , using lots of family photos taken throughout the year. He had craftily photographed the whole family during various seasons of this year, different locations and situations and then picked out the best of them and had a photographic company make the chosen ones into a beautiful 2018 calendar. This is my most treasured present because of all the thought that had gone into it and the necessary time it must have taken him working on his idea. Will treasure it always.

nipsmum Thu 28-Dec-17 14:18:14

I'm not sure if it's my favourite gift but my daughter gave me a book called, Dead as a Dodo. Now what?.It is for me o fill in with all the details the family will need to arrange my funeral and deal with all the things that need to be done when I die. Very useful indeed

Gaggi3 Thu 28-Dec-17 14:24:07

I have 2 favourites. One is the lovely family photo calendar DSiLs organise every year The other is the afternoon tea vouchers for a Spa hotel, for DD’ s and me,from the grandchildren,
again organised by their fathers.

Sheilasue Thu 28-Dec-17 15:13:22

I treasure all my presents from my h and d and gd. There is no favourite one I am just very luck to receive them.

HurdyGurdy Thu 28-Dec-17 15:38:01

After being bitterly disappointed (and in a state of shock) in November at the price of tickets for The King and I at the London Palladium, and being far too tight fisted to buy them for myself, my husband surpassed himself by buying two tickets for me and my daughter to go, on my birthday in June. I was over the moon.

Then I opened my youngest son's gift, and it was a voucher for a Thames River Cruise and a voucher for afternoon tea at Harrods.

My birthday will be spectacular this year. I am beyond excited by all of them.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Dec-17 15:56:37

They're lovely presents, Hurdy. Hope you have a lovely time, when it comes around. smile

grannyactivist Thu 28-Dec-17 15:59:17

I got a second hand teapot that obviously came from a charity shop. The giver is what made it very special to me and the circumstances in which he gave it. Brought a tear to my eye.

Marydoll Thu 28-Dec-17 16:10:56

I got a Willow Tree grandmother and granddaughter figure from DH. He had seen me admiring it before Christmas.
My DS and DIL gave us a calendar with photos of a smiling DGD for each month.
I get quite emotional looking at them.

lesley4357 Thu 28-Dec-17 16:57:09

3m of linen fabric and patterns for trousers and top. Thoughtful friend who knows I love to create

Snowedunder Thu 28-Dec-17 17:12:37

My DH always struggles to choose something for me so depends on DDs to decide what I would like. However, he was delighted with himself this year - asked me to buy myself an Ancestry DNA kit. He didn’t know that he could’ve ordered it and surprised me with it on Xmas day. However, I’m not complaining!!!

BRedhead59 Thu 28-Dec-17 17:19:27

The Poetry Pharmacy - William Sieghart
Beautiful

eGJ Thu 28-Dec-17 17:29:55

A Christmas stocking with a personalised gift from each DD, SIL and each GC. Each gift reflected the giver (a pre-mixed gin and tonic from SIL grin). Absolutely perfect and it brought much happiness!

CrazyDaisy Thu 28-Dec-17 17:44:37

My favourite gift, although I was given other lovely ones, was a handmade voucher from DH. It's for a trip around some country roads that we pass often but have never been down.

He fulfilled it yesterday followed by afternoon tea at a nearby township (country village). It was a lovely and thoughtful gift and we had a really enjoyable afternoon exploring the countryside.

Clematisa Thu 28-Dec-17 18:02:15

Like you Mollie, other than my two aunts "The only gifts I got I had to buy myself" as my immediate family decided no gifts this year! My lovely aunts, one in her mid- 90s and the other is 89 next year gave me amazing gifts though - A Clairol pack of make-up and a special thingy to put your credit cards in so no-one can swipe them! And a lovely warm throw in shades of greys, pinks and whites!
I don't do "no gifts" so I treated my youngest to a Christmas Demo Lunch which I thought was fabulous (I went too!) And they used the recipe for roast potatoes successfully on Christmas Day... They said it had been a great idea so may try that again, as it was great to spend the day with them too!

Menopaws Thu 28-Dec-17 18:28:30

Two clocks , one Australia time made from photo I took myself at sunrise in Perth and wooden one my husband made at English time, love them

Menopaws Thu 28-Dec-17 18:29:13

Our daughter lives in Perth btw