Gransnet forums

Chat

Most thoughtful or apt gift you received this Christmas

(65 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 28-Dec-17 10:06:46

I'm at a place where I don't want or need much so i know I can be difficult to buy for.

My most treasured gifts are usually homemade things from the grandchildren and I have many on my Christmas tree that bring back wonderful memories each year.

But this year my favourite gift from my family is a Grandparents photoshoot. I am the photographer in our family so hardly ever in the pictures , so they purchased a session for me, Grampy and all the little ones .

What a lovely thought and one which I am sure will produce more memories to treasure.

What was your favourite or most apt gift ( even something you bought for yourself ( something I do sometimes smile))

POGS Thu 28-Dec-17 18:29:38

My father died 4 years ago and my daughter made me Xmas tree balls out of a favourite knitted cardigan that belonged to dad and which weirdly had a most appropriate pattern on it .

It might sound a tacky idea to some but I love them for obvious reasons and they take pride of place on our tree every year now.

Little things can mean the most !

midgey Thu 28-Dec-17 18:37:00

My daughter found a magnetic dog lead on line, totally brilliant for when my hands stop working either through cold or arthritis. I can recommend it!

chrissyh Thu 28-Dec-17 18:59:46

A photo in a frame, the photo taken at home with a selfie stick, of my whole family, including the dog. Fantastic.

Mouse Thu 28-Dec-17 19:18:15

My eldest dd bought me pandora earrings in the shape of the eternity symbol which I absolutely love. My youngest dd bought me a kitten charm for my bracelet. I also got a plaque that’s says the best mums get promoted to nanny. I have been thoroughly spoiled by my girls this year. I am a very lucky lady

Silverlining47 Thu 28-Dec-17 19:46:49

My DD gave me a beautiful wrap more glamourous than I would normally buy for myself. After a sad year with my DH's (her step father) depression it made me feel worthy and feminine again.

PamelaJ1 Thu 28-Dec-17 19:59:20

Our DD gave us the money for a car park season ticket for the beach DGS loves and we go to almost weekly in the season.
Brilliant. We have strict instructions that we only want things that will go down the drain or we don’t have to dust or find room for. This fits the bill perfectly.

Redrobin51 Thu 28-Dec-17 20:26:34

My DH bought me two tickets to see the ballet Swan Lake at our local theatre. It is a great sacrifice as he has no interest in ballet whatsoever.x

1974cookie Thu 28-Dec-17 20:33:30

My Darling Sister has given me the most gorgeous gift of a mirrored frame with a personalised Sister poem on it. I cried when I opened it. ?
Also, ( can I have 2 please?)
My Partner David has gifted me the chance to walk an Alpaca in Norfolk. I adore these creatures, and to be able to take one out on a halter for "walkies' is a like dream come true for me.
Happy Days.?

paddyann Thu 28-Dec-17 20:33:53

a book about the making of Outlander and a pair of Jacobean wine glasses,been after those for years.I'm still dancing with excitement about them .

watermeadow Thu 28-Dec-17 20:39:09

My DD1 commissioned a portrait of my beloved dog from a friend who was at art college with her and is now a professional artist.
DD4 works for a posh picture framer and got it beautifully framed.
It’s unbelievably my very dog, looking at me from the wall and lying beside me too.
Beloved dog is getting old and this picture can only become more precious with time.

OldMeg Thu 28-Dec-17 20:42:28

That’s lovely Watermeadow ?

gagsy Thu 28-Dec-17 21:06:23

My children bought me a voucher for the beauty salon. Time for a retread!

bamwah Thu 28-Dec-17 21:32:41

I got a beautiful vintage tea set in a gorgeous old basket....I was thrilled but my 88 year old mother was disgusted by it.....funny how the different generations feel about old things.

newnanny Fri 29-Dec-17 03:10:29

I special snowman card made by my grandson. He is 2 1/2 and had stuck pieces of tissue paper on a few bits each day as he got bored doing it all at once.