Gransnet forums

Chat

The psychology of socks!

(51 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 18:39:02

Was listening to local radio, a psychologist was talking about mens socks.....now bear with me on this grin turns out it’s not as boring as it sounds.You can tell a lot about a man from the socks he chooses to wear, style, colour etc So, does your man wear quite long socks, ribbed short ones, bright colour?Then, when you have told us, I tell you what the psychologist said.
You may have worked it out for yourselves though ( not that difficult!)

Esther1 Fri 05-Jul-19 19:39:58

No pairing up of socks for me! When my 3 teenage sons all lived at home plus my DH I had them all wear identical black socks - cheap as possible from Peacocks or some such store. As soon as they started to wear out the whole lot were replaced (like I say, we went for the cheapest) and it worked a treat. Now with just DH at home he still wears identical black socks - we buy batches of about 14 at a time. Works for us!

evegreen1 Fri 05-Jul-19 13:17:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemongrove Sun 07-Jan-18 14:35:06

gilly ? am shocked indeed!
50 shades of grey! ( and grey socks are supposed to be boring)

lemongrove Sun 07-Jan-18 14:33:22

Mine won’t even wear sandals, let alone socks with sandals!

petra Sun 07-Jan-18 14:29:29

Why do beige socks remind me of ( what my FIL referred to as) Geordie on his hols. Knotted hanky on head comes to mind as well.
I abhor a show of skin between the sock and trouser so they are always long and either black or navy, no other colour is allowed, always fine knit.
Thankfully he's a man that would never wear socks with sandals.

gillybob Sun 07-Jan-18 09:35:44

There are unprotected sox and 50 shades of sox too! It’s filthy.

gillybob Sun 07-Jan-18 09:32:51

OMG lemongrove you would be shocked to see what some of the socks get up to. Threesomes, sox on the beach and crikey knows what else. grin

HillyN Sat 06-Jan-18 23:20:08

My DH's favourite socks are a set of black socks with coloured toes and heels, each pair different, with the days of the week on the side. The men of DD2 and her husband's family all bought a set for their wedding because her theme colour was yellow, she got married on a Friday and the Friday sock colour was yellow. One of her wedding photos was of all their feet in identical socks!

lemongrove Sat 06-Jan-18 20:53:32

Haha! Look suspiciously like sock puppets to me!?

What does it say about lonely only socks residing sadly at the bottom of the wardrobe.....mate less?

Will there be the patter of baby socks?

Do M&S socks get up to S&M stuff??

gillybob Sat 06-Jan-18 17:32:05

I bought this book for DD for Christmas !

geeljay Sat 06-Jan-18 16:57:33

I wear socks, just any socks, without a psycho thread,,
But if I choose my own socks, I generally buy red.

Alima Fri 05-Jan-18 21:17:22

Could I ask, is this a gender-specific study? If so, isn’t that a bit near the knuckle?

Alima Fri 05-Jan-18 21:15:10

Because there’s always one grumppa.......

grumppa Fri 05-Jan-18 20:34:05

I have always preferred colourful socks (except for very formal occasions). DW knows this and chooses socks for me accordingly for Christmas and birthday, usually packs of four from M&S or JL.

Incidentally, there is one thing that puzzles me. These colourful packs often include a pair or two that are plain (usually black) from the ankle up but colourfully striped from ankle to toe. These colours will only be visible if worn under sandals, but surely one should never wear socks with sandals? So why are they designed like this?

lemongrove Fri 05-Jan-18 20:15:42

There was no word on hand knitted socks Mogs so how would you describe your DH?
hildajenn presumably they have to be long because he feels the cold? Ask him if they have to be long in Summer and why? All in the interests of science....grin

hildajenniJ Fri 05-Jan-18 16:53:04

As long as they are long, thick and warm, he doesn't mind. He prefers plain colours, black, grey or blue usually. The last socks he bought were double thickness, green on the inside and a blue/grey marl on the outside. In summer he wears thinner socks, but they still have to be long.

Mogsmaw Fri 05-Jan-18 16:47:41

I wonder what it says about us but I knit all dh’s socks. There long and richly patterned, usually in funky self-stripping yarn. Also they are frequently darned, well they took some time to knit.

lemongrove Thu 04-Jan-18 22:24:51

She didn’t say anything about that Fishpie but shall I hazard a guess ( DD1 does the same thing)
Supremely confident, independent thinker, a little on the lazy side.grin

Fishpieplease Thu 04-Jan-18 22:11:41

Please enlighten me about my son. When he lived at home,he always put on 2 socks, didn’t matter if they matched in colour,pattern or texture. Now all his family are the same,they just take them out the clean laundry basket....

lemongrove Thu 04-Jan-18 18:55:20

polyester smile you are very well named for a sock debate!
M0nica .... a split personality? grin
Who buys these socks? Why black ones?For work purposes?
Work or health have no bearing on the socks, it’s what they choose to wear for leisure times that count.
Surprised how many women buy socks for their DH’s.
Buy him some long red, wool ones and wait for his reaction?

polyester57 Thu 04-Jan-18 17:56:37

Like many others here, I am the sock buyer. A long time ago I devised the sock strategy, ie. all the same, so when a sock goes missing it can be replaced. All from M&S. My husband has black and my son has grey (doesn´t live with us but still leaves washing behind whenever he visits). Long socks always (not knee socks though). Hairy legs on show above short socks an absolute no, no.

M0nica Thu 04-Jan-18 06:58:26

So when DH wears his black long socks for comfort reasons he is a vain, self-centred private person.

When he wears his black short socks he is a man that doesn't have much social life, or fun generally and is of a pessimistic outlook. and when he wears his socks with the coloured toes and heels he is reliable, practical, sensible, and all round good husband material! confused

NannyTee Thu 04-Jan-18 00:13:45

My MIL bought DH some with his name on for Christmas. That means he's a big boy now , he's graduated from L & R grin

annsixty Wed 03-Jan-18 22:02:32

I can't think of the last time my H bought any socks, I have bought them for many years. Likewise undies. What does that say apart from the fact he relies on me totally.
I buy short cotton beige and brown with grey every few years. Never ever black.

Day6 Wed 03-Jan-18 21:45:20

Have skipped over the spoiler up there lemon grin

The man wears socks I buy him of late and because I tend to be sock sorter once they are washed, I've gone for patterns to make life easier. He has black socks with a very slight pattern on them, mid calf length with looser comfort ribbing.