Gransnet forums

Chat

2018 - how’s it going so far?

(94 Posts)
mollie Thu 11-Jan-18 08:25:15

So far 2018 has been unsettling. I’ve lost a friendship and it looks very likely we are moving again. I hadn’t expected either of these things at Christmas. It could be much worse but it could also be a lot better. Marks out of 10? 5!

Billybob4491 Thu 11-Jan-18 10:54:46

After a disastrous 2017, and despite numerous medical appointments scheduled for January, my hubs health is now improving so I think 10 out of 10.

Anniebach Thu 11-Jan-18 10:59:43

After last year I am too fearful to comment

GabriellaG Thu 11-Jan-18 11:18:57

Well...firstly, I hope that all of you ladies whose start to the year has been less than wonderful, can gird your loins and carry on onward and upwards towards the light, with a smile. That's what we women are good at, in fact, reading your stories, I'd say you're outstanding.
It's my 73rd birthday today (at 16.50 to be precise) and I have received some REAL cards, not just the e-card variety which are nice but....
Each of my children live more than 100 miles away so no visits are planned to 'celebrate' and one daughter is in my bad books so I don't actually want to see her anyway.
My health is great, no financial worries and dinner plus theatre on Saturday with 5 friends. Life is good.

Tudorrose Thu 11-Jan-18 11:21:04

Depression getting worse, no respite. P.D really getting me down, can’t see any evidence of more effective treatment in the offing. Sciatica very painful, trying to do exercises which help a bit. l am having another caudal epidural injection this pm which eases the pain. Can only walk short distances.DH wonderful does all the shopping & cooking. 3 out of 10

missdeke Thu 11-Jan-18 11:22:29

I won a lucky dip on the lottery on 3rd, then again on the 6th and 10th January, just waiting for the big one now......

mollie Thu 11-Jan-18 11:25:33

Happy birthday GabriellaG. Big hugs to everyone who needs one smile

Marnie Thu 11-Jan-18 11:25:42

Still do not see GC. Husbands dementia getting worse. Anxiety through the roof. Ulcers on legs have reappeared. No strength to do anything. No one to help. Same as the last four years. So I got through those leaking legs and all. Bitterly bitterly upset we don't get to see GC. Thought I'd brought my children up better than that. So all things considered a 9 out of 10.

Greyduster Thu 11-Jan-18 11:28:37

Can only get better is all I will say. Fingers crossed.

tanith Thu 11-Jan-18 11:30:12

After reading all the posts I changed my mind as I have an awful lot to be thankful for.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 11-Jan-18 11:34:11

It's good-^ish^, I'm recovering from the lurgy, my cat is responding for treatment to his bad gums and I should come into a legacy shortly.
My car has its MOT next week, I've a mammogram at the end of the month so it's fingers crossed for both. I'm (hopefully) still in remission from cancer.
Despite all, it still feels good to be alive.

clareken Thu 11-Jan-18 11:36:24

Had poorly DGCs over the weekend. Started coughing Sunday, chest pain Tuesday so went to doctors in case it was a chest infection. No it's pleurisy. Lucky caught early.
On good note, youngest DGD is potty training and doing well, roof over our heads, heating and food in the cupboards.

NonnaW Thu 11-Jan-18 11:38:10

So sorry for all of you with ongoing problems. I am happy to say that life is treating us here fine, all the family are well (as far as I know), husbands prostate cancer is still being held at bay, otherwise we are in good health, and apart from the dreary weather, this year is going well so far!

mcem Thu 11-Jan-18 11:38:29

Last year wasn't good with 2 sudden deaths and DD suffering ongoing health problems. My dreaded lurgy started mid-december and only now improving significantly.

Put on Pollyanna hat for 2018 with reasons to be optimistic.
Significant birthdays - 80, 3x70, 40, 21 and 18.
Summer wedding.
Wondering about taking DGCs to Disney Paris immediately after the wedding.
Quietly hoping that a new baby will be announced fairly soon.
Fingers crossed .

lovingit Thu 11-Jan-18 11:43:04

even though I broke my wrist just after xmas and it has made life very difficult, in 2018 I have realised I have the most wonderful friends.

Jaycee5 Thu 11-Jan-18 11:47:55

Bit mixed for me. I won a £100 credit on a clothing site but I have a cold which has made me feel very down and seems to be getting worse. I don't have the energy to do anything. Hopefully it won't last too long and I haven't had any actual disaster to deal with as many people here seem to so I can't really complain. My health was starting to improve through Autumn so I hope that my low energy is temporary.
Also it is very quiet here since my difficult neighbour left and that alone will make it a better year than last (unless she returns which is still possible).

JackyB Thu 11-Jan-18 11:48:08

For each of those who have lost someone already this year my sincere condolences - each story made me sadder.

Well done Pearl for the poem!

My year? About 8 / 10 I suppose. Everything's fine - DGS and his Mum arrived from America on Monday and we saw them for the first time last night. (NOW we can finally take the Christmas tree down!). The only damper on the proceedings is this dreary weather - although the sky at the moment is blue with fluffy pink clouds.

Both DGC are practically out of nappies.

Had a pedicure this morning.

LongHaulGran Thu 11-Jan-18 11:50:00

Happy Birthday, GabriellaG! Well wishes to all feeling under the weather.

Marks so far? 7 of 10 but it's early days - days, btw, going by so quickly! Cannot quite wrap my head around it being the 11th of January already.

glammanana Thu 11-Jan-18 11:51:20

After a funny 2017 when we moved into our new bungalow with all the stress that comes with a move at our age,we are now in a good space.
We have booked a holiday for September to celebrate my birthday and to have a break prior to next x--- (not saying the dreaded word).
Have seen the 3D pics of my new GD due in May from my DIL and am enjoying buying bits and bobs for her layette.
Keeping up with my weight loss club as I have now lost 1st.5lbs and dropped 2 sizes since late October.It will certainly help with my diabetes problem in the long run.
Have decided to help at the local Cat Rescue Centre one afternoon a week and dog walk at the Dog Rescue for 2 hrs on a Sunday.
So things looking good at present on the whole I would say 8 out of 10.
Things looking good

sarahellenwhitney Thu 11-Jan-18 11:52:04

My concern for 2018 and the future that does not just affect me but the whole world and that includes our animal and all other forms of life.
Sorry all you anti Mr Trumpers, some other time, but the amount of non recyclables we are observing in all its shapes and forms and not just in the seas.

grannyactivist Thu 11-Jan-18 12:10:12

A very poor start to the year so far, but every difficulty I face is with the love and support of The Wonderful Man. Together we somehow muddled through the nightmare that was 2017 and we will face whatever life throws at us in 2018. We have a new grandchild on the way and that's always a cause for celebration. smile

sue01 Thu 11-Jan-18 12:21:10

A friend died on New Year's Day. She always said she hated January .

morethan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 12:22:04

We're counting our blessings here. 2017 was gruelling with DiL treatment dominating every thing we did. DiL cancer is stable and both her and my son seem happier. Other son out of rehabilitation and back at work. Daughter still living her own chaotic life so no change there apart from our reactions to it. I’m getting used to being retired. We’re both well. No sign of the lurgy here. Wish the weather was a bit brighter but at least it’s not too cold. I’m not complaining.....yet

Nonnie Thu 11-Jan-18 12:31:16

Trying to think positive about the little things which have worked so far:

Won my battle with HMRC but wonder if it was worth all the time spent hanging on the phone and the necessary nagging, explaining and reiterating.

Finally got the insurance people to send someone to look at the drain problem half way down the garden. Only taken since October!

Started sorting out some of the things I have been unable to tackle since losing son in July.

and the big things:

I have a wonderful, supportive family including 2 lovely DiLs.

I have some great and supportive friends.

I only take 2 medications which is good at my age.

GP said I am far too fit to join exercise classes for the elderly.

Not going to mention the negatives, just too hard.

Peardrop50 Thu 11-Jan-18 12:55:57

Nonnie, you are so brave, losing a child at whatever age is the worst thing, I can’t begin to imagine. The French say Bon courage, I can’t think of a better wish for you and anyone else who has suffered such a loss x

Nonnie Thu 11-Jan-18 13:02:28

Thanks Peardrop I know I am not alone but it feels so lonely. Maybe if we knew why he died it would help.