Gransnet forums

Chat

2018 - how’s it going so far?

(94 Posts)
mollie Thu 11-Jan-18 08:25:15

So far 2018 has been unsettling. I’ve lost a friendship and it looks very likely we are moving again. I hadn’t expected either of these things at Christmas. It could be much worse but it could also be a lot better. Marks out of 10? 5!

MawBroon Thu 11-Jan-18 13:21:18

Pearlsaminger thank you for a smile on a grey day I like your style!
2017 saw me say goodbye to darling Gracie and darling Paw so not the best. Enough said. sad
Nonnie my heart goes out to you, I at least know that Paw had suffered enough and was never going to get better but when a young person dies before their time, the unanswered questions just add to the grief.
For many of us 2018 may not bring a positive resolution or even a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel, but I would say don’t lump everything together into one year, take one day at a time. On the better days, breathe and allow yourself a brief respite, a smile, some relief. On the bad days, keep the faith, hold on to any support you have from those around you and trust that, in the words of the saying “this too shall pass”.
flowers to you all

Tegan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:28:59

Well, yet again I start a new year and I'm on the neverending diet [the difference being that I really do need to lose weight this time, as I weigh more than I've ever weighed before and I don't quite know how it has happened although I think it's linked to the neverending 'working on the house' scenario, which means I'm not going out much and having snacks to relieve the boredom]. I should have had a new roof put on my shed last summer but it has only just been done; also ex should have cleared out the garage [he left 15 years ago] as I want to turn it into a workroom for my upcycling projects] but, again, this hasn't been done. Can now move my daughters things into her house as her house is now finished, but DS is having work done on his house so his stuff will be remaining here, plus more of it in storage. My house, as ever is like an albatross round my neck; this has got to change. Having said that, I feel guilty because these things are so insignificant compared to the things that many of you are facing, so I apologise for ranting on...

tinaf1 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:37:01

Was going to moan about dreaded large caught middle of December which turned into chest infection and has now mutated into cycitis but reading some of the posts realise I have little to feel down about, to all of you with your struggles hope the year gets better for you ?

tinaf1 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:37:38

Should have been large not large

Anniebach Thu 11-Jan-18 13:40:35

Nonnie, hold onto the fact you are not alone, it is torture whilst grieving you live alone, no one to help you distract thoughts, no one to share your grief , no one in the house when you are awake in the night .

Legs55 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:43:11

Nonnie how awful for you, I hope 2018 brings some improvements in your lifeflowers

My year has started reasonably well, had a cold but I can live with thatgrin

Been out with friends, loving being nearer my DD & DGSs, getting the chance to watch DGS2 develop, something I missed with DGS1 as I lived too far away for frequent visits.

Visit to St Ives planned for the end of March, Trip to see DM end of April, long Summer at home to work on my garden.

Meet Up Group arranging coffee/afternoon tea/outings.

Downside is Diabetic review next weekhmm & Dentist following week.

Joined Pilates Classhmm I enjoyed 1st session, see how that goes. Rating for 2018 has to be an 8/10, not perfect but pretty good. Hope it continues.

Willow500 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:44:43

So far so good with family here from NZ over Christmas and another 2 weeks before they return although for the first time ever didn't see my other son's family open their Christmas presents due to work, travel commitments - we did see them later in the week though. Still have a job which I thought would have gone at the end of Dec and so far have avoided the lurgy although I'm always ill in Feb so plenty of time for that to arrive yet. Roof over our heads, food in the pantry and many things to be thankful for so hoping 2018 will be a good year.

Misha14 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:59:16

Expensive car bill, totally unexpected.
BUT my new novel out on Kindle. Very Excited.

loopyloo Thu 11-Jan-18 14:14:42

Not too bad. Everyone seems to have a health problem. DH has sore neck, DD has painful feet. Sil had bad back. DGC have both had head lice. I had flu jab which gave me vertigo but that's better now.
On the plus side, the days are getting longer. My greengage tree has arrived and needs to be planted.
The leak in the bathroom is just the outflow pipe from wash hand basin.
DH has booked some days AL .
A very good friend is recovering from her hip replacement and doing quite well.
Could be worse. Perhaps I should research what I should grow at the allotment in the event of a dreadful summer because of an asteroid hitting the earth.

carol58 Thu 11-Jan-18 14:23:12

Things aren't perfect of course - DS marital problems, DD health problems, redundancies, household niggles etc. but I thank my lucky stars for every day I'm still alive to spend time with my lovely family & friends. Reasonable health, a loving family, a roof over our heads & food to eat is everything and all the rest is just so much 'stuff'. So it's 10/10 for me!

etheltbags1 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:02:44

Im just glad to be here. Its grey and damp and im working outside yuk. Im skint after christmas. I owe hmrc 50.00 due to an error on their part. My mother has the moans but 3 years after a cancer dianosis. Im still here so onwards and upwards.

Nonnie Thu 11-Jan-18 15:11:45

Thanks Maw for your kind words and understanding. I have been truly blessed by the support I have had.

Tegan your issues are not insignificant, just different.

Annie I don't feel that having another person to share my grief with makes it any less raw, in fact at times it makes it more difficult because I feel I have to be brave and cry alone so I don't upset other people. Christmas was hard because I had to put on a strong attitude because DiL's mother was there and she wouldn't talk about my son.

Anniebach Thu 11-Jan-18 15:17:51

Nonnie, it is your choice not to show your grief to your husband ? Perhaps he feels the same , it doesn't take the grief away but it can be shared just as the birth of the child was shared . Many couples hid their grief from each other, this is so sad.

Nonnie Thu 11-Jan-18 15:29:35

Annie yes, my choice but based on caring for DH more than caring for myself. I can see how upset he gets when I break down so I try not to do so for his sake. I am there for him when he breaks down because he is an only child and had life much easier than I did. I lost a brother and 7 babies so probably cope better than him although not very well at all. As you know, nothing compares to losing one's child.

Day6 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:31:40

pearlsaminger I'll have a cuppa with you. I like your take on things. grin

I didn't really understand the term 'annus horribilis' until the Queen used it several years ago when so much had gone wrong in her year.

I guess we all have bad years when tragedy befalls or one terrible thing follows another, when we seem to live under a black cloud. I certainly have and wondered what I'd done to deserve such a run of bad luck/awful things happening.

It made me appreciate the mundane days, like today when it's grey outside, I have money worries, health concerns and I fret about my children, one in particular. Life is full of ups and downs, swings and roundabouts, blue skies and grey. It's rarely a bowl of cherries, is it? (Strange expression!)

However, I have little really to worry about, it's a tea and telly day and I am ok. I try to remember that when I feel down. I take each day at a time and remind myself it's good to be alive, and life is precious, and fleeting.

So, so far, 2018 has been good and I have things to look forward to. I am thankful for my lot and my ability to endure and I am surrounded by lovely people so, thumbs up to 2018.

silverlining48 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:35:33

So far, Not great, both of us with the lurgy which is hanging around way past its sell by date. I had a nasty vertigo attack yesterday and early hours this morning. . Have been very sick. Supposed to be going over to see our daughter tomorrow morning, not sure if i will be well enough, havnt seen her for a while. Hope i am ok on the plane. central heating broken and husbands tooth broke tequired repair twice and now needs a last minute appt at dentist this afternoon for another repair ( same tooth). Our cup once again, runneth over.

pollyperkins Thu 11-Jan-18 15:58:48

Well done Pearlsaminger. Very clever!
My new year has been ok so far. Family all ok and so are we. Not optimistic about national and world affairs though!

GabriellaG Thu 11-Jan-18 16:14:51

MOLLIE and LONGHAULGRAN
Thanks so much for your birthday wishes. smile
PEARL
I realised that it was verse only after the 4th part...silly me blush
I really enjoyed it.
Reading all your posts makes me sad that there is no-one local who so can help. They all seen to have au-pairs, nannies and most have high earning partners whose children are privately educated and in school from 7.30 for a full 12 hours incl after school clubs which often finish later.
I, like another poster on here, joined MeetUp and have been on a few outings (the photography group was good) but this weather has put me off many walks on the Downs...mud and cold I can do without.
Do any of you ever meet up as a group? I belong to the WI but it's only a monthly thing.

GabriellaG Thu 11-Jan-18 16:17:53

Sorry.
Should read: no-one local who I can help (when they need it)

Morgana Thu 11-Jan-18 16:57:39

Oh dear, so many people with so many problems. I hope that 2018 will turn out eventually to be a good year for us all. We have a holiday booked with D.D. and family and are going to see Russell Watson in a couple of months. Appointment next week for D.H. at memory clinic (first one) and D.S. has some tests at hospital on Monday. Let's hope both appointments turn out okay. Onwards and upwards as they say!

Sheilasue Thu 11-Jan-18 17:14:38

Going ok at the moment but keeping fingers crossed.

EllieRose43 Thu 11-Jan-18 17:21:16

Reading all the above makes me realise that any problems I have are miniscule in comparison to others. Hugs to all who are mourning, ill or otherwise distressed. My year has started reasonably well - even my 17 yr old car (used for taking the dogs out) passed its MOT with no problems, and ERNIE sent us 25.00. No health problems apart from a leaky bladder (and carrying a couple of excess stones in weight). 9 out of 10 so far.

farview Thu 11-Jan-18 17:50:19

MawBroonread your post...was intending to post a moan!!! Changed my mind...looking at the positives now??

squirrel5 Thu 11-Jan-18 18:08:06

Pearlaminger,I enjoyed your poem??

Wally Thu 11-Jan-18 18:22:09

I feel a bit old in present company, but here goes. I'm 76 years of age and on Jan 7th my great grandson was 10 and on Wednesday another of my great grandsons was 15 and on Saturday the whole family is going down to Bristol to a Restaurant for a family meal. I feel blessed and so lucky to still have all my family around me.