Gransnet forums

Chat

Not looking my best

(54 Posts)
Tippy22 Sun 14-Jan-18 16:25:24

Went for a fairly long walk today and called into the bar of a local hotel for a coffee and a warm up. The bar was busy as it was lunchtime but managed to find a table and sat down just as two women approached the table. We wanted this table said one. Should have moved quicker then I thought but said nothing but continued to sit. They looked at my husband obviously expecting him to sit on one of the other 2 chairs but he graciously said to them help yourselves. Their partners joined them and stood by them as did my husband next to me but I felt decidly uncomfortable as the lady who had spoken kept giving me filthy looks. Now they were obviously having pre-lunch drinks and had nice dresses on, I was dressed in an old anorak and tatty trainers . To be fair we had only intended to call in for a quick coffee and a warm up but this lady was now annoying me so I decided to stay a bit longer (childish I know). What would you have done. I asked my husband later what I looked like and bless him he said windswept and interesting, I felt I looked like a bag lady.

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jan-18 16:41:07

I hope I would have been as childish as you. Well done! flowers

Niobe Sun 14-Jan-18 16:41:52

Ha ha, well done for standing your ground! Just because they were tarted up ,and you weren't , doesn't give them the right to oust you from your seat. You were a paying customer just like them. flowers

glammanana Sun 14-Jan-18 16:47:27

Oh Wow !! I would have parked my self there for the afternoon just to annoy them,and would have asked if they had reserved their seats.

mollie Sun 14-Jan-18 16:48:23

Was yours the only free table? I’m glad you didn’t give it up but what an odd response from them! And awkward all round.

M0nica Sun 14-Jan-18 16:48:59

I would have done exactly what you did.

ruffles Sun 14-Jan-18 16:49:29

you did completely the right thing. why did they have any more right than you and you got there first. cheeky

BlueBelle Sun 14-Jan-18 16:52:35

I too would have stayed put cheeky mares

Chewbacca Sun 14-Jan-18 16:52:38

I can be so bloody minded that I'd have stopped put for the rest of the afternoon, just to prove a point. What you were wearing, or what they were wearing, doesn't give them first dibs at a table of their choice (unless they'd reserved it beforehand); it's a simple matter of who got there first. How long did you stay for Tippy?

glammanana Sun 14-Jan-18 17:15:46

Tippy If it was a Weatherspoons pub you could have got free top ups of your coffee all afternoon that would have served them right.lol.

Tippy22 Sun 14-Jan-18 17:25:21

There weren't many tables and I dont think any of them were reserved there certainly wasn't anything on the table when we sat down. We were all having our own conversations so we weren't sat there in silence but I was determined to sit it out much to my husband's annoyance. They eventually went for their lunch after about 30 minutes.

farview Sun 14-Jan-18 17:38:22

Oh that made me laughwinkwould have done exactly as you did,cheeky mares!!!!

kittylester Sun 14-Jan-18 17:42:11

Exactly what you did plus ordered bar food!!

Winniewit Sun 14-Jan-18 17:55:04

I have done naughty stuff too along the same lines.
Went out shopping with my sister and parked in a big car park.
We shopped and bought a sandwich for lunch. Got back to the car park which was full. A woman in a big flashy range Rover was eyeing us up as we walked back loaded with shopping. We got into the car and she begins tooting and flashing us to move so she could slip into our space. She was really impatient. Me and sis got out our sarnies and started eating. I could see the woman was getting really impatient. More honking. Eventually she gets out and taps on the window. Wants to know when we are moving. I told her we wouldn't be moving for quite a while as we were going back out shopping after our sarnie.. She stamps off and drives away. A little old couple drove and we give them the space... ?

Auntieflo Sun 14-Jan-18 17:55:04

Well done Tippy, and I agree with all the comments gone before, but sorry that they made you feel a bit uncomfortable. What a bloomin cheek.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jan-18 17:58:42

What do they say - possession is 9/10ths of the law! grin

Lovetopaint037 Sun 14-Jan-18 19:41:30

They may
have been dressed up but their manners were the pits. Sounds as if their clothes gave them a strong sense of entitlement.

SpringyChicken Sun 14-Jan-18 23:10:25

I'd have done the same as you, Tippy and knowing my husband, he'd have sat down too. Your husband foregoing his seat was the chink in your armour, really. They wouldn't have stayed at the table if he'd sat too. He needs more training.

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Jan-18 23:37:24

Should have moved quicker then shouldn't they!

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 15-Jan-18 00:41:30

Yes, Tippy your husband should have sat down with you and told them two seats were free if they wanted them. More training needed as SpringyChicken says. wink

Oldwoman70 Mon 15-Jan-18 09:32:03

Unless a table is reserved then it is first come first served - well done for standing (sitting?) your ground. Did they expect you to give up the table and stand!!

ChickenAnnie Mon 15-Jan-18 09:33:47

What a cheek. Doesn't matter how you look you have every right to be there. I would have done exactly the same.

Rosina Mon 15-Jan-18 09:34:04

What a sense of entitlement some people have! Good for you - and I believe the aristocracy often look like tramps as they regard dressing up as irrelevant - probably very 'middle class'.

Mapleleaf Mon 15-Jan-18 09:35:42

Yes, you did the right thing.

Ramblingrose22 Mon 15-Jan-18 09:41:57

This reminds me of when DH and I reserved tickets for seats on a train to Scotland where we were having a week's rambling holiday. We were dressed in our rambling gear when we boarded the train as it was easier to wear the thick jackets and walking boots than to pack them

When we reached the seats we'd reserved a well-dressed couple were already sitting there as we had been held up because of a mix-up over our tickets. The reserved labels were clearly displayed tucked in the pockets at the top of the seats.

When we approached them politely and said "These are our seats" they looked at us and said "They can't be - they're reserved." We said "Yes, they were reserved by us" and showed them our tickets.

They reluctantly gave up the seats before we sumoned the guard!