Gransnet forums

Chat

How long do you spend on GN?

(34 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 15-Jan-18 11:05:48

I usually dip in an out - usually when I stop for a coffee (which I now realise is quite often blush. When I do log on I often see the same posters who seem to spend a lot of time on GN. Obviously they could be doing the same as me and just dipping in and out but it has made me wonder how long does the average (if there is such a thing) GN spend logged in at any one time.

OldMeg Mon 15-Jan-18 11:07:41

Depends on the weather. One fine days hardly at all. On wet, cold, miserable days I spend too long and usually end up cross.

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 11:09:02

Far too long!! Actually, I log in and out a fair bit during the day but only for minutes at a time. If I'm busy I can miss almost a whole day or miss reading long threads.

I'm sure that for some people, GN is a life line.

Grannyknot Mon 15-Jan-18 11:09:23

Oldwoman I do what you do - dip in and out. It's my chief procrastination activity so I probably dip in too often.

I think there are people who will spend time on forums like this one as if they are chatting to a group of friends, in other words, keep it more or less on tap.

I'm way too impatient and have a "grasshopper mind" so I can't do that.

Anniebach Mon 15-Jan-18 11:19:36

Too long recently, I live alone and am unable to leave the house so my contact with the outside world , and I learn much too and am very fond of many posters.

lemongrove Mon 15-Jan-18 11:21:42

Yes, dip in and out like others.Leave comments on a few threads, or don’t log in, just read a few threads.
I go out a lot so don’t have the time to spend hours on it,
(Although in the evening can spend a long time on the iPad generally) emails, and doing jigsaw puzzle app in particular, while keeping an eye on tv.

merlotgran Mon 15-Jan-18 11:29:51

I dip in and out but not as much as I used to. I'm getting a bit fed up with so many threads - even harmless ones, ending up in a ding-dong between the same three or four people.

It's all very well people saying, 'Don't go on those threads' but how do you know if and when they're going to pounce?

hmm

ninathenana Mon 15-Jan-18 11:29:52

Three or for times a day if and when I'm bored. That can be a quick skim to see if there are any new threads, or to read and post on a thread. So maybe 2mins or maybe half an hour.
I'm permanantly logged in on my phone and one click takes me to the active page. The same witb FB.

Auntieflo Mon 15-Jan-18 11:31:30

As long as it takes, and then a bit more. It can be addictive and I love it.

Bellasnana Mon 15-Jan-18 11:46:08

Not nearly as often as I used to. Since I found out that the DM was pinching random threads for publishing, it put me off posting.

hildajenniJ Mon 15-Jan-18 11:48:27

I dip in and out also. Usually when I have a break in whatever I have to do. I always check in when I get up in the morning, and again last thing at night before going to bed. I'm a body person and like to know what everyone on GN is getting up to.

hildajenniJ Mon 15-Jan-18 11:48:55

For body, read nosy!

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 11:51:27

I'm on here wasting time hilda

Must go

NonnaW Mon 15-Jan-18 11:56:39

Too much, probably, though I don’t often post. I do like to see what’s is being discussed though. I learn all sorts of things!

glammanana Mon 15-Jan-18 11:57:09

Certainly not as much as in the early days when I couldn't walk past my laptop without checking what people where posting,then we used to up until late going out on our mad trips all over the Country enjoyable at the time but all seems to have gone now.
I like to read new topics but after all these years most of the topics are same old same old so nothing really as interesting as it used to be.

annsixty Mon 15-Jan-18 13:02:16

Far too long but as I don't get out much and have absolutely no conversation with my H, GN really is a lifeline for me.
I do find it boring sometimes and log off after reading thread headings but log on several times a day, first thing in the morning and when I go to bed, before reading my book.

MissAdventure Mon 15-Jan-18 13:04:18

I look in and out a lot, but that will change once I go back to work. At the moment I'm doing mostly exactly what I feel I need to. I don't have much adult company, so its a lifeline.

M0nica Mon 15-Jan-18 15:02:50

It all depends,We went to France with a friend for a week over the new year and I do not think i read or posted at all.

Since we got back I have been down with the dreaded lurgy and the progress of the dratted thing can be traced in my GN presence. On Friday, my worst day, I did nothing all day except sit at the kitchen table looking at the table cloth (green with white spots) and sit at my computer browsing constantly through GN and occasionally posting.

I am now recovering and I am more or less back to my usual pattern. When I have been away from my computer and then come back to it, I start by checking the news, then GN and then get on with any work I am doing.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:04:48

Bored with sorting out so back on here for five minutes.

mumofmadboys Mon 15-Jan-18 15:14:06

Just finished the ironing so sat down for 10 mins rest with a cup of hot choc, Christmas cake and GN!!

mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 15:22:20

I am another one who is constantly logged on but my dipping in and out varies. For anyone who may not remember, I’ve actually been a member since the very beginning but I go MIA for months on end, generally because (as someone else has already mentioned) the arguments drive me away. But I come back, eventually, and notice who is still around and who is new. I always come to GN for useful information (like the many uses for white vinegar for example) and if I’m sensible and avoid the contentious threads I get to hang about for quite a while. To answer the question, I dipped in and out about seven or eight times yesterday but it was a cold, wet, lazy Sunday and probably spent about two hours all told. Today, so far, just twice...or was it three times??

goldengirl Mon 15-Jan-18 15:25:06

I'm a 'dipper' too. I've been a member for a long time and enjoy the variety of threads and have a contributed a few myself. I think I would be on it a lot more if I didn't have other commitments!!!

Fennel Mon 15-Jan-18 15:54:16

"I'm a 'dipper' too." So am I.
I belong to a few other forums (but not Facebook etc) and none of them has the variety of topics, and volume of replies, that Gransnet has.

Pittcity Mon 15-Jan-18 16:28:24

Far too long!!!

tessagee Mon 15-Jan-18 17:51:12

Just long enough on most days to scroll through the active forums and sometimes post. When I'm not online I switch computer off and disconnect.