Gransnet forums

Chat

My son wants a sink....

(83 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 16-Jan-18 23:43:03

......for his birthday next month. He and his wife bought their first house last summer and as it's a big Victorian semi there's a lot that needs doing, so he's asked me to get him a bathroom sink for his birthday gift (he'll be 28). His wife wants him to have a 'proper' gift, but he's adamant. So of course I shall get him his sink. grin
What's the most unusual gift you have bought or been asked for?

ninathenana Wed 17-Jan-18 09:45:47

Two years ago D asked me to pay for the deed poll as a birthday pressie so she could rid herself of the ex's name. I was very happy to oblige.

Christmas '17 I bought her the scout leaders blouse she asked for. D is very practical grin

grandMattie Wed 17-Jan-18 09:49:51

what a brilliant present. for his 60th, I gave DH a load of horse manure for the newly acquired garden. He was thrilled!

Smithy Wed 17-Jan-18 09:52:49

I've had some "sh---y presents " grandMattie, but that takes the biscuit!

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 09:53:16

grin

Cagsy Wed 17-Jan-18 09:54:29

I've given DD money for Christmas and birthday (yesterday) towards a chain saw on a pole! She says it will save loads of climbing up & down ladders as she prunes her olive & almond trees in rural Spain. sunshine

grandMattie Wed 17-Jan-18 09:54:36

Ha ha ha!

merlin Wed 17-Jan-18 09:55:16

I was having to go and jump start my daughter's van on a regular basis so gave her a battery booster for her birthday.

LyndaW Wed 17-Jan-18 09:56:01

Not a present, but my DH once gave me a Happy Mother's Day card for my birthday!
Think he'd bought it by accident not realising what is said inside and only wrote in it the night before so wasn't able to go buy a new one. He'd crossed it out and we had a good laugh and still do sometimes when it comes up.

Gilly1952 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:00:02

One year my other half bought me a set of tyres for my car - mind you, he did ask me first! I thought it was a brilliant present. Another year, I was bought a TV licence. It’s still nice to receive a more “romantic”gift, no matter how small. I quite like “silly” gifts as well - and of course, I love my teddy bear from Christmas 2015! As a keen gardener, a new pair of secateurs is always welcome.

pamdixon Wed 17-Jan-18 10:00:17

my son, then aged about 14, gave me a tool makers clamp for mother's day once - he'd made it at school and said he 'didn't know what else to do with it'.........!

grannysyb Wed 17-Jan-18 10:07:52

Just bought my son a table top freezer for Christmas. He only had a tiny icebox in his fridge and no space for regular freezer.

Lindylou51 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:10:15

Dishcloths! When my son and daughter-in-law moved to Singapore for a couple of years we were asked to bring dishcloths with us when we visited as they were unable to get 'proper' ones.

dragonfly46 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:10:52

I bought my son a toilet seat for his birthday. Also for a Victorian flat they are in!!

Shazmo24 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:11:02

For Christmas we made up a voucher for our daughter. It said we would pay to have her piano tuned

amt101 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:30:23

My daughter wanted her house painted for her 40th. That's what she wanted. That's what she got.

rizlett Wed 17-Jan-18 10:31:08

My mum wanted a concrete mixer so she could {and did} build her own extension. She was 69!

Sheilasue Wed 17-Jan-18 10:54:07

I did buy my mum years ago a Tupperware rolling pin which you fill up with water and put in the fridge and when it’s cold roll out your pastry.

Jan51 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:06:05

We bought DD1 and SIL a microwave for christmas and DD2 and partner a chest freezer, both as requested. Last year we bought DD1 and SIL a garden shed.

Flossie777 Wed 17-Jan-18 11:08:06

My husband bought me for Christmas a kindle fire cover, but I did not have a kindle. His turkey was over cooked

GrandmasueUK Wed 17-Jan-18 11:21:15

As a single parent I needed a hammer. My mum didn't want to get me one but I was adamant. She compromised and bought me a 'ladies hammer'. It was smaller than a regular one and had a pink handle with a label on it which said what it was. She also got me some tights and soap as she couldn't bear the thought of me having just a tool. grin

BrightonBelle Wed 17-Jan-18 11:28:13

I bought my husband a concrete mixer for Christmas once, we've still got it! He was adamant that's what he wanted. My mum, bless her, was at the beginning of her dementia journey (unknown to us of course) when she gave me a lovely card for my birthday except it was for an 80th birthday! She said she hadn't looked at the front, it had a lovely verse which was the important thing to her.

Nannyme Wed 17-Jan-18 11:44:02

My girls bought me a spare tyre for my car for my birthday. I had a puncture and got completely stranded for hours because there was nothing in the boot except the stuff you put in a tyre to get you so far, which in fact was pretty useless. Now at least if it happened again I would at least be able to get to a garage hopefully!!

curlilox Wed 17-Jan-18 12:11:33

DH once gave me a chip pan for Christmas. I hadn't asked for it , but I think it was meant to be a joke. Not amused!

squirrel5 Wed 17-Jan-18 12:24:45

O am forever whinging on how my toenails are getting hard,and not easy to cut.......so yes, the family bought me a voucher for a course of chiropody treatments☺