Gransnet forums

Chat

Dry January? Veganuary? How’s it going?

(58 Posts)
suzied Wed 17-Jan-18 08:02:54

Anyone started Dry January or Veganuary or both? How’s it going? Its over half way. I’m trying both , (after finishing the Christmas chocolates) and am feeling energised and no cravings. Going to my book club in a pub tonight, and instead of a glass of wine, will have a pint of orange juice and soda.

Megram Wed 17-Jan-18 09:20:35

Well done! Personally though, I don't think January is the best time to start anything new or give anything up! It's too cold, dark and miserable so I take any pleasure where I can!
grin

Devorgilla Wed 17-Jan-18 09:29:38

Suzied., Megram, I agree. I always overbuy on biscuits and sweets at Christmas expecting to share them out with the younger members of the family. Never happens so, like you, munching my way through the excess. 'Dry' has been forced upon me as on antibiotics. Think March would be a better month. Still, have to admire the stamina of those who manage both.

grandMattie Wed 17-Jan-18 09:54:12

Don't understand the need for either - in any case, I tend to be moderate in my use of alcohol and meat. If it floats your boat, go ahead.
If I did do something like that, it would prabably be May, as my birthday is out of the way, and the new spring vegetables are delicious!

Skweek1 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:06:03

I really don't like meat, quite apart from the ethical issues (sign at least 3 on-line petitions most days) and for many years have been a bit of a flexitarian following a vegetarian period in the 70s, which slipped a bit over the years because of the nuisance of cooking for me and my menfolk, both dedicated carnivores. When I heard about Veganuary, thought it was a really good starting point and really thriving on my new diet. Have just bought my own pots and pans, so really getting there. My only 2 sticky problems are that I've always used honey as a sweetener, which is not seen as vegan, and that I can't find a milk that makes coffee palatable - goat's milk has always been my favourite and to date haven't found a plant alternative that works. So far tried oats, hazel nut, almond, soy and although quite like them all (hazel nut above all), still don't solve the coffee problem!

suzied Wed 17-Jan-18 10:21:39

I think soy milk is the best for coffee, makes an acceptable latte or cappuccino. Like everything, you soon get used to it, and it becomes a preference. I've found a good vegan range in Sainsbury's, lovely chocolate ices!

namo Wed 17-Jan-18 10:49:34

Skweek1 - I use Rice Dream Organic. Good ingredients and I like the taste in coffee.

David1968 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:49:35

DH & I are trying for a "dry January". This is the first time weve attempted this, though we've had a "drier January" in previous years. So far we've managed this, and it's not been as hard as I thought it might be. (I do love an early evening G&T, but not every day.) We took all the wine in the house (six hottles) and taped it up in a box. Gin & whisky bottles are shoved right back in a cupboard where it's hard to reach. So far, so good! I do think it easier when two of you do this together.

KatyK Wed 17-Jan-18 10:59:30

I'm with megram smile January is cold, miserable and depressing. Not the right time for me to be giving up any of life's little treats but I admire those of you who are doing it!

Sheilasue Wed 17-Jan-18 11:03:34

My d is doing it she is a veggitarian any way. She said to me
Her skin is lovely and she has no bloating of the stomach and feeling really well. She followed a lot of recipes and in Tesco they are selling vegan food, she said the sough dough pizza was very nice. Tesco has called them wicked. Give it a go.

Milly Wed 17-Jan-18 11:39:03

Skweekl may I suggest HEMP milk which is what I use. But in my area only Waitrose and Tesco and Holland and Barrett sell it (more expensive) but if you are a Sainsbury shopper it wont be on the shelf unfortunately.

GabriellaG Wed 17-Jan-18 12:24:15

Personally, I can't understand DAVID1968's taping up and hiding of wine and spirits.
Isn't will power enough?

grannysyb Wed 17-Jan-18 12:35:57

Why is honey not vegan? We need bees!

goldengirl Wed 17-Jan-18 12:44:18

What happens in February then??? grin

GabriellaG Wed 17-Jan-18 12:45:24

grannysyb

Vegans do not agree with the exploitation of animals/insects.

suzied Wed 17-Jan-18 13:02:54

Hopefully in February I will have given my body a detox and will continue to avoid dairy products and eat vegan where possible, although I won’t be precious about it e.g. if eating out or at friends house etc. I will cut down on alcohol, enjoy a glass or two but not every night. We shall see, I’m actively enjoying it so far.

lesley4357 Wed 17-Jan-18 13:36:45

If your liver and kidneys all work there is no medical need to 'detox'! Your body does it for you every day. Just another money making fad

suzied Wed 17-Jan-18 13:37:38

Who's making money? 'Ive saved loads.

quizqueen Wed 17-Jan-18 14:22:30

grannysyb, I'm sure bees actually make their honey for other bees, not people. Just as cow's/goat's milk etc. should be for their own young. Instead, the calves are whisked away and fed on artificial stuff while humans steal the milk meant for them. It's pretty disgraceful, exploitive behaviour when you really think about how badly humans treat animals.

Meriel Wed 17-Jan-18 14:40:11

I'm doing dry January but my DH isn't - I was hoping he would join me. I've done it before and don't find it too difficult but I was hoping to lose some weight but haven't. I usually have a couple of small glasses of wine each evening with dinner and a g & t on a weekend. I'm hoping to have two alcohol free days a week once we get to February.

David1968 Wed 17-Jan-18 15:30:16

Ah, GabrielleG, if we had your will-power, then we probably wouldn't think we need to be doing a dry January! (We're not all perfect in this regard.)

Legs55 Wed 17-Jan-18 15:35:01

I don't drink much so don't take any notice of "Dry January".

I don't eat lots of meat & enjoy fish so I'm not going to give up on those, I eat lots of vegetables all year round, local produce & in season not imported where possible.

I don't like being told what to eat/drink much preferring to follow a healthy diet for my Diabetes.

The only thing I have done is start a Pilates class (new one set up after Christmas), I'm enjoying it, makes me feel goodsmile

suzied Wed 17-Jan-18 15:52:28

No one is telling anyone what to eat or drink - its a free choice, I am enjoying the challenge and feeling fitter and more energetic, plus my excema has improved, so I suspect dairy free is the way to go for me. I was interested in whether anyone else was doing this post-Christmas detox, and how they were getting on. Lots of people do dry January, and Veganuary has become more mainstream too.

Persistentdonor Wed 17-Jan-18 16:41:43

I drink very little alcohol because I don't like the taste of it, but we do live in a culture dominated by the acceptance of drinking alcohol, and in the run up to christmas and new year it would be easy to drink far more than usual.
It seems to me that jumping on the dry January wagon might help people to asses their increased intake, and cut back for a time rather than continuing to escalate without thinking about it.

Funnygran Wed 17-Jan-18 21:25:33

I didn’t think I would stick to dry January but have cut back to only having a glass of wine on Friday and Saturday. Don’t know if I am feeling better or not. Woke up with a headache this morning! We eat lots of vegetables but don’t follow a strict vegan/vegetarian diet. I’m trying to lose weight and use the local gym more and find that is taking far more will power than cutting back on alcohol.