Gransnet forums

Chat

First TV programme memory

(113 Posts)
Marydoll Sat 20-Jan-18 09:00:47

The "First Memory" thread prompted me to think about the first time I ever watched television, when I was three.
My first memory is of watching "Lassie on a neighbour's television, as we couldn't afford one.
What is the first television programme you ever watched?

yggdrasil Sat 20-Jan-18 09:05:09

My Granny got a tv for the Coronation. I sat on a little stool and watched it, along with all my family and half the village :-)
I watched TV when staying with my grandparents, but it was several years before we could get one of our own on the South Coast

boheminan Sat 20-Jan-18 09:09:51

Ooooh! Marydoll what a lovely question to tackle first thing in the morning, armed with a mug of coffee grin. For me it was anything to do with animals, stuffed or strung up! eg: Prudence Kitten, The Pinwins/Pingwins? (something to do with penguins) and of course my favourite - Muffin the Mule

Maggiemaybe Sat 20-Jan-18 09:11:27

Watch with Mother. Picture Book was my favourite, I was convinced Andy Pandy was a girl, and my mother hated Bill and Ben because she thought I'd end up talking like them.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jan-18 09:11:51

Pogle's Wood is the first programme I can remember really watching and enjoying.

varian Sat 20-Jan-18 09:12:37

The coronation, sitting on the floor of a crowded room staring at a flickering black and white nine inch screen housed in a vast mahogany cabinet.

The next programs I remejber were children's tv - muffin yhe mule, andy pandy, some woman with a xylophone,

There were a lot of intermissions - the test card or potter's wheel with the message "normal service will be resumed as soon as possible"

Alima Sat 20-Jan-18 09:14:57

Watching the 6 5 Special I think it was called. Can remember seeing the steam train roaring down the track. Mid fifties.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jan-18 09:17:17

Casey Jones, steaming and - a - bowling! Casey Jones, you never have to guess. When you hear the tooting of the whistle.. Its Casey at the throttle of the 'Cannonball Express'!

appygran Sat 20-Jan-18 09:26:23

Let me think --- not sure of the first programme but remember muffin the mule, andy pandy and the flowerpot men. However the radio seems to feature more from my childhood as I remember listening to listen with mother just after lunch. Oh and I loved Lassie.

Teetime Sat 20-Jan-18 09:56:10

Woodentops, wrestling and the Saturday football scores - in silence while Dad and Poppa filled in their coupons.

Jayh Sat 20-Jan-18 10:05:13

I remember watching Rag,Tag and Bobtail with animal puppets.
Also, The One O’clock Gang when I came home from school at lunchtime.
I remember there being a lot of cricket programmes which no one in the family wanted to watch. Thank goodness for the many channels we can choose from today.

M0nica Sat 20-Jan-18 10:08:31

Muffin the Mule. I lived on a small very rural army base in Yorkshire. The only television was in the officer's mess and we were allowed in their for half an hour on Sunday afternoon to watch it.

eazybee Sat 20-Jan-18 10:09:03

Muffin the Mule, watched on a neighbour's television, and then on our own in time for the Coronation. Also Prudence Kitten; no -one else seems to remember her.

goldengirl Sat 20-Jan-18 10:12:17

Apart from the Coronation it was The Woodentops which I loved - Rag Tag & Bobtail were OK but The Woodentops family was great.

ninathenana Sat 20-Jan-18 10:12:32

All of the above except the coronation, I was born '54.
Does anyone remember Twizzle or the broomstick man ? He scared me.

Luckygirl Sat 20-Jan-18 10:14:53

Rag, Tag and Bobtail was my first TV experience, on teh tiny B&W TV that my father bought the week AFTER the coronation, because he thought it would be cheaper then - oh Dad, how I miss your money-saving schemes!! grin

It was a very important moment in my life as it was only then (at age about 5) that my parents realised I was blind as a bat. I was sitting with my nose on the screen and it dawned on them that I might be just a bit short-sighted! The specs were a revelation to me - up till then I had assumed that everyone saw the world as a fog!

Wally Sat 20-Jan-18 10:23:53

This is pre television but the highlight of our week was listening to radio Luxembourg with Michael Miles and Take your pick. It kept on fading out as the signal became weaker and we had to get closer to the wireless as it was then known.

KatyK Sat 20-Jan-18 10:27:00

I can remember my mother used to have Lunchbox, hosted by Noel Gordon on. The band was Gerry Allen and his TV Trio smile. Also all the Watch with Mother stuff. My favourite was The Woodentops. All the Woodentop family, Mrs Scrubit the cleaner, Sam the gardener and the biggest spotty dog you ever did see!

NannyTee Sat 20-Jan-18 10:27:26

Mine was watch with Mother. I used to sit on her lap glued to it. My DM napped whilst it was on. grin

Anniebach Sat 20-Jan-18 10:28:31

At a friend's house, one of those chatty women afternoon programmes , how to make/ how to bake things. A presenter said - and it only costs ten bob, my friend's mother switched off ,cross because of the use of bob not shillings ?

gillybob Sat 20-Jan-18 10:32:55

Pogles’ wood for me too MissA I used to call my little GS “Pogle” when he wore his little coat with the hood up . smile

Bellanonna Sat 20-Jan-18 10:33:19

The Coronation at a neighbour’s house, finding it really boring, but being made to be quiet throughout.

Grandma70s Sat 20-Jan-18 10:37:21

The coronation. Not that we had television at the time. It was a neighbours’ set.

I have no memories of the first programme I saw when we finally got our own set in the later ‘50s. I was in my late teens.

starbird Sat 20-Jan-18 10:52:22

For me too it was when grandma got a tv and I remember Muffin the Mule. Later I remember Sunday afternoon films and the football results, (and trying to guess the score by the tone of voice of the commentator). An uncle brought gran’s tv to our house for the Coronation ( as both sisters and I were in bed with chicken pox) but couldn’t get the aerial fixed up to make it work.

GrandmaMoira Sat 20-Jan-18 10:57:45

I was 5 when we got a TV and I remember watching Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben. I was allowed to stay up late on a Friday to watch Emergency Ward 10. A bit later I watched Dr Kildare which was more glamorous. I still like hospital soaps, despite working in a hospital.