Gransnet forums

Chat

New goal for 2018 - NOT diet/fitness related!

(39 Posts)
Witzend Sun 21-Jan-18 09:45:28

I took up the piano again over 5 years ago, after a gap of 50 odd years, and had only ever passed grade 2.

A couple of years ago I set myself a goal of passing grade 5 by Spring last year, but had to spend so much no-piano time away from home - family/friend illness/bereavements - that I just wasn't ready enough to do more than maybe just scrape a pass, and what with nerves being an added problem I decided to let it go.
That was the last chance for that syllabus, and since I didn't care much for more than one piece in the new syllabus, I gave up the idea.
However I've been looking at the pieces again, and have decided to make the effort after all. It's going to need a lot of really disciplined practice, but I've got until spring 2019 - but pref. by Dec. this year, so who knows?
Has anyone else set themselves a goal that's nothing to do with losing a couple of stone?

Greyduster Mon 22-Jan-18 13:57:08

Ukuleles are very popular at the moment, marionk - I rather fancy having a go at it.

Stella14 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:14:08

I started learning Spanish last year. This years goal is to become more fluent and improve my pronunciation.

Stella14 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:21:04

Happilyretired123 I learned to ride a bike as an adult. I was about 51 I think. I mastered it, but taking corners was still difficult (I had a tendency to ride into bushes). Then I decided that, since there are lots of adult tricycles around, it would be much more fun to ride one of those. So I bought myself one. My beautiful Pashley bike has been standing in the garage ever since!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 22-Jan-18 15:31:34

Lizzyp..... I always, always wanted a pair of roller blades and when I left work they asked me if there was anything I wanted, yes says me rollerblades and that is what I got. I have a lovely photo of me all dressed up at my leaving do with my roller blades on. I have spent many an hour just going up and down the prom and don’t care about people staring!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:38:33

I must finish that 'crazy' patchwork quilt I started with all guns blazing last year.
It's high time I tidied up my 'sewing' room which is in an appalling mess.
I've got a ukelele but I make the most awful racket. Maybe this year I'll improve but I wouldn't put any money on it.

cassandra264 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:14:47

At long last started a German beginners'class - have been ashamed of myself for years not being able to speak to German friends in their language when they are so fluent in English.
Had done German 'O'level decades ago and thought I had forgotten it all - but lo! some of it is coming back, and I feel really encouraged to go on.....

lizzypopbottle Mon 22-Jan-18 22:07:19

Barmeyoldbat, you are so brave! Did you master roller skates as a child? Lots of my friends had them but I never did. I never had a bike either but I learned on friends' bikes. I don't care if people stare. You have inspired me to try again with blades! They are in the garage somewhere. Watch this space!

Happilyretired123 Tue 23-Jan-18 00:22:56

Thanks CaroL10-have not heard about Breeze so will check it out?

justwokeup Tue 23-Jan-18 01:14:02

A thread on GN made me decide to aim for easily achievable 'suggestions' instead of 'resolutions'. So last year I aimed to use up the creams and cosmetics I already had before buying any more and I've opened some gorgeous bubble baths, moisturisers, perfumes etc which were previously unused presents. Still a few to go but really enjoying the generous gifts and I've saved a lot of money too. This year I'm going to start a diary, not daily - too much pressure - but just as and when I want to write something. I kept encouraging the DC to keep a record of all the positive things that happen to them, the tribulations they overcome, as well as all their remarkable milestones in life. I like the idea of recording social history too. Then I thought, better to practice what I preach, I could write my own diary just for my own pleasure. After all, I could have years left yet .... maybe wink.

Allison123 Tue 23-Jan-18 07:50:22

Have more faith in myself.
Finnish unfinished projects.
Drink more water
Walk or dance an hour every day.
Clear the attack
No more alcohol.

jura2 Tue 23-Jan-18 08:47:57

Get back on my skis with grandchildren before second knee replacement.

Learn to play Djembé- as I was given one for Christmas.

get back to learning Italian (was doing A'Level when we moved- and not done any again, apart from hols in Italy).

TerriBull Tue 23-Jan-18 09:47:06

"50 book challenge" did it last year and got to 52. To take gd swimming more often so she becomes proficient, she's at the flailing around stage at the moment. To take her and her brother on a steam train in the summer, he's just discovered Thomas the Tank. To visit more NT properties to justify our membership. To redecorate the lounge. To continue with 25 minute one to one yoga sessions on YouTube which I was doing but lapsed over Christmas and haven't got going again.

Jaxie Tue 23-Jan-18 10:28:24

I got very bored last year and fed up of cliques at the local U3A. I toyed with the idea of leading my own group as I used to teach adults. I started a Memoir Writing group and it has been such fun, although I'd never tried to teach it before ( actually you can't really teach it you have to be more a facilitator). My goal for 2018 is to become more proficient at encouraging participants to set down their life stories. Everybody has something unique to tell: I have learned such a lot from my group and had my world view challenged - in a good way. I have been far too judgmental and unforgiving in the past, disappointed in our lack of nobility, but I've been chastened and become more accepting of my own and others' shortcomings. All through writing about ourselves.