Gransnet forums

Chat

Going out in the evening

(106 Posts)
Teetime Sun 21-Jan-18 10:38:04

We went out yesterday evening for an anniversary dinner and I confess I would rather have had a meal at home. As the restaurant is within 15 mins walking distance that's what we did on an very icy night thinking the exercise is good for us and then DH can share a bottle of wine with me. The restaurant was crowded and noisy- the food was good but not excellent and I was exhausted by the time we got home.
I'm thinking now that is this a sign of ageing not wanting to go out in the evening- anyone else sharing this feeling with me?

Teetime Thu 25-Jan-18 11:20:30

We've decided to go out at least one night a week for a meal now - this town is positively rippling with cafes, bars and restaurants. We love cinema but if we go in the evening I nod off so its afternoons for us. I am looking for an evening activity. DG would like me to take up Bowls as he plays and is a coach but I keep going down to look and it just does make me feel old and the clothes!!!!!smile

ReadyMeals Thu 25-Jan-18 11:39:14

Grannyscalpay I am glad someone else is like me. I have hobbies and they are all indoors. Last time DH and I went on a week's holiday about 20 years ago we got so bored we swore we'd never go away again and we never have.

Marydoll Thu 25-Jan-18 12:16:37

Oh it's ages since I've been to Celtic connections, Paddyann.
My colleagues and I used to go after school, have a pre-theatre meal and then go to a performance. It was never a late night. I loved the atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed it.

KatyK Thu 25-Jan-18 14:12:30

Teetime It's very easy to get into a rut and of course some people are very happy that way. We have had a rough few years but (touch wood) we are both OK at the moment and we intend to make hay while the sun shines while we still can. Nothing too exciting - a trip to the cinema, a glass of wine or a bite to eat in out local Wetherspoons or meeting up with friends every now and then.

paddyann Thu 25-Jan-18 17:01:36

Marydoll we always go to the main concerts but this was the first open stage we've been to .Strangely we met friends form 50 miles away at it as they had seen the same folk band before .So it turned out quite a sociable evening.There was a fab guy ,last act who played a double bass and sang "politically relevant songs" About things you dont hear in the news ,things missing from life ,man flu and a really funny one about a generic voodoo doll ,it was hilarious.Well worth going and we'll go up next week and take pot luck about who is performing