Gransnet forums

Chat

Someone offered to pray for DS!

(227 Posts)
kittylester Sat 27-Jan-18 19:31:54

DS1 had a stroke 10 years ago and has left sided weakness and walks rather unsteadily with a stick! He does, however walk all over our small town with strategic stops.

As he was crossing the market place a woman came up to him and asked if she could pray for him.

He was upset to think someone thought they should pray for him and that he would want them to.

What do you think?

DonnaBlack Sat 03-Oct-20 00:20:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DonnaBlack Fri 02-Oct-20 23:30:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 22:31:29

what

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 22:30:52

Jura, you hadn't said she knew you. I think it must have been very disconcerting but you did know that this is what their way of being thoughtful and kind. To me that seems like a horse of a different colour to the issue as it was first described.

jura2 Tue 30-Jan-18 20:46:20

Yes, Annie, took my hands and didn't wait for an answer. She was a neighbour from were we lived previously.
Same for the young couple, he was a Pastor of an evangelical church nearby - he and his wife also got on with it without a reply.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 17:49:08

It appears I am not the only one who is interested Bridgeit. I had read it as someone just asking and yes, I think it would certainly make a difference to the OP and son if someone has started praying there and then. It wouldn't make a difference to my opinion though.

Anniebach Tue 30-Jan-18 17:36:15

Jura, did the woman ask if she could pray there on the spot?

Bridgeit Tue 30-Jan-18 17:21:26

Going by OP, she was asking if she could pray for him, it was not specific where or when, does it make a difference GG?

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 17:08:58

Was she asking if she could pray for him there or just asking in general? It isn't clear.

Fennel Tue 30-Jan-18 16:52:08

"Good heavens - what sort of discussion would that be? Certainly not one for grown-ups. "
+1

haporthrosie Tue 30-Jan-18 16:41:50

GG, I have no idea how to make it any more clear that I have no problem, that this has nothing to do with what I 'feel okay with' or how I would like you to express things. Good heavens - what sort of discussion would that be? Certainly not one for grown-ups.

If you think of the line 'the play's the thing,' simply substituting the word 'debate' for 'play,' perhaps it might help. As far as I'm concerned, other people's ideas aren't problems. Sorry I'm so inarticulate!

jura2 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:40:23

Annie : 'Wrong Jura, people who,offer to,pray are not always - so called born again from Evangelical Churches .,

there is 'offering to pray' discreetly, and there is 'offering to pray in a public space in a very open and public manner' - in my experience, the latter is always done by 'born again types'.

Pray, if you wish- discreetly - but no-one has a right to thrust their prayers on others in public like this.

Bridgeit Tue 30-Jan-18 16:29:33

And reading your last post to HPR, says it all !

Bridgeit Tue 30-Jan-18 16:27:24

An observation GG, this is an Opinions forum, & being critical & pedantic stifles the flow of a thread, but I do absolutely understand that you cannot see this.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:21:14

I think the problem HPR, is that I didn't agree with your point of view. I don't; I have my own opinion. How would you like me to express that so you feel okay about it.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:18:46

GG, you have the unique ability of strangling opinions, by being overly pendatic about how others opinions are delivered. Just try to go with the flow & grasp the essence of what is being expressed we are not on here to pass an exam about the correct delivery of opinions .

And you offer scathing personal criticism Bridgeit. Usually coming on just to do that and offer very little else. Obviously neither of us is perfect but then, I don't pretend to be.

haporthrosie Tue 30-Jan-18 16:13:31

GG, we crossed-over while writing, I believe. I never imagined this had anything to do with anyone being right or wrong. I thought it was about conducting a discussion. Nothing to do with how many pages, coming to a definite conclusion, or anyone (heaven help us) wanting to be told that they're right.

We merely chose to spend time batting round some thoughts and ideas. Thought, debate, discussion. They help keep us afloat as opposed to drifting in chaos. There's more to 'The Screwtape Letters' than the number of its pages; there's more to it than whether you think Lewis is 'right' or 'wrong.' There's more to a GN thread than the number of posts or coming to some horridly committee-like 'conclusion.' The thinking's the thing, I think ...

I mentioned Matthew simply in response to what you'd about open public prayer. I had a strange idea that sites like this were for the free and open exchange of ideas. Excellent point you make about keeping priests off the dole!

Bridgeit Tue 30-Jan-18 15:49:22

GG, you have the unique ability of strangling opinions, by being overly pendatic about how others opinions are delivered. Just try to go with the flow & grasp the essence of what is being expressed we are not on here to pass an exam about the correct delivery of opinions .

haporthrosie Tue 30-Jan-18 15:30:30

Annie, I mentioned the possibility of mental illness in my original post. And, as you said, we have rights to differing opinions. I allowed for the possibility of that mitigating circumstance (mental illness) and said what I felt.

Maryeliza, you've made so many good points. I agree that without some absolutes there's no possibility of actual discussion. And I still feel that (barring mental illness on the part of the woman), this sort of behaviour isn't fair to the disabled.

Annie, you mention that the woman has been very heavily criticised. Some people have been critical of the man. Public prayer isn't usually encouraged even in more evangelical countries such as America. I certainly don't think it's any surprise that general opinion on GN (fervid young evangelicals probably pretty thin on the ground on this site) isn't heavily in favour of the woman.

It's not as if anyone's rabidly denounced the woman. Kitty wrote about something that had happened and asked what people thought. It seems worth bearing in mind that the man being written of is known to be disabled, and visibly so. There's only a hypothetical possibility that the woman might be mentally disabled, and some of us have allowed for that. Personally, I find it a bit disturbing that people were being so openly critical of a disabled man without even appearing to take his physical condition and struggles into account.

My question about GG's presence on the scene was partly rhetorical/ironic and partly sheer mystification ... what she was writing seemed so pulled out of the blue bizarre I started to wonder if I'd missed something in the OP ... or if GG was perhaps herself the woman in question! (Please don't think I'm actually being serious when I say that.)

I do think there's a difference between stating an opinion and being judgmental. We can nit-pick till we're cock-eyed, but I'll still think that.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:28:06

You are right. Please tell me just how much that matters, although I apologise to the OP.

Women walks up to disabled person with member of family and asks if she may pray for him. They are upset. Discuss.

We did. My view, for what it's worth is that it's a real shame people were put in an upsetting position but we have no idea what prompted her to do that - there are a few choices. Different people behave differently.

Your view - women in the wrong. She does not conform to your view of societies customs and conventions.

That's it, isn't it. It's taken nine pages, according to my computer to get there.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:18:15

I have no idea what you want me to reply to your Tue 30-Jan-18 14:32:06 HPR. I doubt you are ignorant and have no idea about the rest of it - where it is going or what you are asking I'm afraid.

Do you want me to have an opinion on how you read part of your bible? I was always told it was open to interpretation. Isn't that what keeps priests in a job?

maryeliza54 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:14:28

It was OPs son and she wasn’t with him but otherwise spot on

maryeliza54 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:13:36

Good heavens - a thread developing and changing . What a very very naughty girl I am. I shall retire immediately to the naughty step forthwith <rolls eyes>

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-Jan-18 15:11:27

Goodness maryeliza you do like giving instruction don't you. I did read the OP. What are you suggesting I didn't get straight?

Anniebach Tue 30-Jan-18 15:10:30

So now you Maryeliza are ignoring the O/P and putting your own question on the thread .